Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Would you sail from the Keys to Newport News Va in Dec-Jan?
Oh Yeah...winter-schminter... 10 43.48%
Um...no and you are crazy for thinking it.... 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008

tojaso is on a distinguished road
Searching for Wisdom...

Hello all, I don't think that I have ever posted before, though I read the site religiously. My Wife, Daughter and myself have recently purchased a 42' Colvin steel hull Gaff Rig Ketch to liveaboard. That is the good news. The bad news is that is in the Keys and we have to go sail her up to Newport News in late Dec- Jan time frame. I am in the Navy Riverines and am writing this post from an Iraq airport waiting to come home from a 7 month deployment on the rivers in Iraq. I will only have so much time, and this is the only time that I am alloted to take that much leave to move it. So, there it is. A cold trip up the coast and there is no getting out of it. I am looking at this along the lines of a delivery. Though it is my own delivery...

Though not a total newbie, I am well aware that I don't know everything. So, I am looking for hints, if you would be so kind, from the old salts on the site. I have spent a great deal of time thinking and planning. Studying charts and making lists and pre-underway check sheets for the trip up the east coast. I was trying to find out if there was a forest that I was missing while searching through the trees. The best way to do that is to ask the experts. Any advice you would offer is well received and much appreciated.

Brgds,
Tojaso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Tojaso,

First off, thank you for your service!

Sounds like you have an exciting leave coming up.

If you want some people to come along, you may want give some more information. Things like the condition of the boat, is it ready for this kind of trip? Have you seen it? Do you REALLY know if it is ready?

When you say you know you dont know everything, does this mean you need someone who really knows how to sail or do you just need a couple of hands to help you with the delivery?

Best of luck finding some help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 11-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tojaso-

Did you get the boat surveyed??? How is she equipped??? Also, how much leave time do you have, since sailing on a fixed schedule is generally a good way to get screwed??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-19-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
The main thing is what is the weather forecasted? And have charts for any ports that you may want to duck into, in order to wait out the weather.

I would plan the trip and strongly take the weather predictions into consideration. It one thing to learn how your boat handles, and another to learn about it in foul weather.
But the main thing is to enjoy your trip north on your new boat.

Was brown water Navy in VN. IUWG-1 1st trip and MinDiv-113 the 2nd trip.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 11-19-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
You can always drop the sticks and jump in the ditch.
Old 11-19-2008

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Have actually trucked a few of your boats around.Or should i say realy cool toys AlAsade\Heditha
No advice but if you need a deckhand and i am still home will be more than happy to help.Hoping to get back to the litterbox mid-december but drop me a e-mail.Could possibly still be here.

Fair Winds
Mark
Old 11-19-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tojaso...welcome to the light. I voted no given the extreme cold, snow and ice at that time of year plus the issues of breakdowns on a new to you boat that you will face in a 1500 mile+ journey.
There have been FOUR sailboats rescued off the coast in the last 10 days and the weather is WAY better now than it will be when you plan to go.
If you DO decide to go for it anyway...I suggest you stay in the ICW all the way to mitigate the weather and give yourself someplace to duck in each nite. You will HAVE to go offshore along the Jersey Coast...but there are 3 usable inlets there before you get to NYC.
I would estimate 45 days for the trip at that time of year.
Good luck in any case and your service is most appreciated.
Old 11-19-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Tojaso,
Currently off the coast of Georgia and South Carolina it is 49F, and the wind is out of the NNW. In December and January it will likely be a good bit colder. Can you wait until spring? The sun will feel good, and you'll have lots of days with southwesterly winds.

Good luck to you, Cap'n!
Old 11-19-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Tojaso Welcome, That said, If you are hell bent on doing this then you are NUTS. I have made about 100 deliveries up and down the east coast and I would not. Elephants march at this time of year in gulf stream. Think Nor'easter. You have a rig that does not go to weather all that well. Leave the wife and child behind.
Old 11-19-2008

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
You will HAVE to go offshore along the Jersey Coast...but there are 3 usable inlets there before you get to NYC.
I would estimate 45 days for the trip at that time of year.
Good luck in any case and your service is most appreciated.
Sounds like the reeeeally long route to Newport News.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.