Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch1906 View Post
in your bias dreams maybe .. slap some marine plywood around and build a boat in the swamp in Florida don't make this dinosaurs a Best production boat is it? Catalina is past and lived out his life expectancy by large ..
"period" did you looked your hull to deck joint lately ?
your 36 MK-II was decent boat and you stop build them ...how stupid is that ? but look at that "gorgeous" 44 Morgan look like a RV and sail like that to .. best boats? you are funny !

(I know you know better .) ..of course , but I could not let that go by..Period..
Agreed - to a point. I loved the 36. I cannot understand why they would kill it. And then came out with the 350???

As for the Morgan 440 - you can see I own one, don't you?

I have a real affinity for the older Catalinas. Some of the models still have not changed. I said this in another thread not long back. But the 400 and the 42 are still really built well (and the same). They have taken some of the others and really scimped down on the cabinetry and tried to save too many bucks to stay competitive with the other production builders. I would rather they just made themselves a bit more expensive and focused on their products. A good case in point is the 387 versus sthe 380. The 380 was a MUCH better boat (in my opinion, of course). I lived on and cruised on one with the fam. Very solid and a good liveabaord.

But Bene and Hunter have done EXACTLY the same thing - and worse in my opinion. THe hardware and cabinety of the new benes is poor. As for the Hunters? TOo new to tell for sure.

THe only models that I am aware of that Catalina has not really changed are the 400s, 42, 32, and 470. I am not blown away by ANY of the others.

- CD

Our old 380:

Our 400:

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
as for the Ob52 i would hope there is supposed to be a great over that hole ((canyon) probably there to get the residuals out(water)(right?))
No. No grate over the stepped-down cockpit sole. It is essentially the first step down the companionway, but it is in the cockpit rather than in the cabin. Very peculiar.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-20-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
P.S. You can see what I mean about the cockpit on this video. They go up to the cockpit at around 4:45:

Videos - Cruising World magazine

Old 11-20-2008
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
P.S. You can see what I mean about the cockpit on this video. They go up to the cockpit at around 4:45:

Videos - Cruising World magazine
Wow! That looks really dangerous. If I had a pit like that, the first thing I would do would be to build a grate over it, otherwise there will be a lot of injuries from falls.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 11-20-2008
Banned

seawitch1906 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Catalina best production boat "period"

Hunter and Beneteau far exceed Catalina as a production boat , if you ignore the snobs Hunter is great cruising boat for the money and that Glenn Henderson hulls are really well performing and the technology is 2008 not 1977 like Catalina standing still
Beneteau "simplificated" Nauta interior is matter of taste but the building technology and performance is far superior to any Catalina now and ever will be .. Catalina like F Butler ...old and stubborn, take a look they can't give them away ... (new one's ) ..
that 440 is a morphodite ... so don't be offended by the fact they are no one's list ..
just please don't write "best production boat ..period ..for a simple reason ..no one will believe you .. not even Ray Charles would !
Old 11-20-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
Wow! That looks really dangerous. If I had a pit like that, the first thing I would do would be to build a grate over it, otherwise there will be a lot of injuries from falls.
You said it!! I nearly fell in that "pit" at the boat show. I think it would take a long time to acclimate to this feature. Owners might eventually get used to it, but not likely guests.

Old 11-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ahhh

Boat ratings by Sail magazine....that magazine is not even good to wipe the hindend (the paper scratches the sphincter)....Sail is to Sailboats what Kentucky Fried Chicken is to chickens...

they can't even sail...they seat at their laptops and read what we writte here, then go back and publish 2 months later...

They rate boats by who pays more ad pages...
Old 11-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well Giu...I alluded to that in my opening post. Still...it is interesting to read about each boat...the little "Bug" is a pretty neat idea for kids eh? It was interesting to me that NO boat under 50ft. was picked this year. If it was ONLY to reward advertisers...I would think we would not see that...never happened before. Maybe they didn't want to tick off all their big production boat advertisers by picking just one!
I guess Cruising World will be out with their picks soon as well.
Anyway...I agree that one should never take these picks too seriously...but it is a good series as it does introduce us to the innovations in the marketplace each year.
Old 11-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Cam, in europe we have a boat that I believe may have served as inspration to that, it's called the BIC. And it is a little more "racy"

see it here..

Fred sailed one for 2 days last summer, said it didn't sail that great.

I think that BUG may be better suited for learning kids..the Bic is harder for them
Old 11-20-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Agreed - to a point. I loved the 36. I cannot understand why they would kill it. And then came out with the 350???

As for the Morgan 440 - you can see I own one, don't you?

I have a real affinity for the older Catalinas. Some of the models still have not changed. I said this in another thread not long back. But the 400 and the 42 are still really built well (and the same). They have taken some of the others and really scimped down on the cabinetry and tried to save too many bucks to stay competitive with the other production builders. I would rather they just made themselves a bit more expensive and focused on their products. A good case in point is the 387 versus sthe 380. The 380 was a MUCH better boat (in my opinion, of course). I lived on and cruised on one with the fam. Very solid and a good liveabaord.

But Bene and Hunter have done EXACTLY the same thing - and worse in my opinion. THe hardware and cabinety of the new benes is poor. As for the Hunters? TOo new to tell for sure.

THe only models that I am aware of that Catalina has not really changed are the 400s, 42, 32, and 470. I am not blown away by ANY of the others.

- CD

Our old 380:

Our 400:

Let me get this straight. You owned the boat in the first picture and you still bought the boat in the second picture?

I'm sure I don't have to point this out to you but, have you noticed that their stern treatments are rather similar? Both sterns look remarkably like the front end of a grocery store shopping cart. Perhaps the designer's day job at the Kroger influenced his design work, in study hall.

Sail magazine. Catalina. It's as if they were made for each other. They go together like salt and pepper, eggs and bacon, syphilis and dementia....