Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Cam, in europe we have a boat that I believe may have served as inspration to that, it's called the BIC. And it is a little more "racy"

see it here..

Fred sailed one for 2 days last summer, said it didn't sail that great.

I think that BUG may be better suited for learning kids..the Bic is harder for them
I thought Catalina was the Bic lighter of boats? Inexpensive, easy to find, but no good in the wind. And disposable.
Old 11-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I like CD'd theft deterrent....

must be a beast... a real case of jaws with legs....

Hey CD..get a real dog...and while you're at it..get a real boat, too....

Sway..CD is like those guys that marries the same woman twice

(for over sensitive Catalina owners, this joke was aimed at CD, not Catalinas...if CD had a Hunter...I would use the word hunter...)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
I thought Catalina was the Bic lighter of boats? Inexpensive, easy to find, but no good in the wind. And disposable.
Sway..the thing is BIC's are quite expensive..

Next year we're taking Fred's Old optimist along crusing, so he can sail around when we anchor..

Problem is can't be towed..so I have to figure out where to carry it. The bic would be a good thing, but he didn't like it
Old 11-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I think you need an arch on your transom so you can hang Fred's Opti and the Bar-B-que's and the hoist for Lambchops!
Old 11-20-2008

rmtayloriii is on a distinguished road
I wish I knew your opinions on Catalina before I officially asked for a new 400 today. Sailing on Catalinas for 25 and now I find this out!
Old 11-20-2008

Seriously...I have been wondering how to carry it...Can't go across the cabin, as it hits the top of the cabin and the boom jack..

Can't out it upfront, because of the low pass genoa...

I may have to hang it of the backstay. and supported at the transom of my boat.
Old 11-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
RMT...Pls. note that this goes on all the time...we are KIDDING CD...and we pick on his boat to do it. good luck with your purchase!!
Old 11-20-2008

rmtayloriii is on a distinguished road
Thank you Cam. I really liked the boat you sold. Wished it were still in the Great Lakes.

Parents started us sailing when I was 4 on a Catalina 27. It had an outboard 9.9, small v-berth for my brother and I. Parents slept on the fold down table. The dinghy was some cheap inflatable you had to inflate and deflate each time you used it. They used to tie a couple dock lines to it and the stern so we could "row around and explored". During one two week cruise we made sure a rock was supposed to be where it was in the North Channel.

From then a 30 and 36. Now it's my turn.

I have no misconceptions about Catalinas. I've sailed them through and into many heavy things. I just got back from a factory tour. I don't believe my mind could be changed on the boat of my choice. I guess if everyone wanted to donate a lot of money I might reconsider.
Old 11-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam—

Bit confused at you saying nothing under 50' was picked....when you posted:

Quote:
Cruising Multihull: Moxie 37, a South African designed and built catamaran that combines high- performance fun and leisure-mode cruising in a single well-conceived package
Performance: Santa Cruz 37, almost all-carbon, this boat displays excellent sailing performance
Last I checked, 37 < 50....unless those are in meters, in which case, Holy **** Batman...they're really big bastages... but I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Well Giu...I alluded to that in my opening post. Still...it is interesting to read about each boat...the little "Bug" is a pretty neat idea for kids eh? It was interesting to me that NO boat under 50ft. was picked this year. If it was ONLY to reward advertisers...I would think we would not see that...never happened before. Maybe they didn't want to tick off all their big production boat advertisers by picking just one!
I guess Cruising World will be out with their picks soon as well.
Anyway...I agree that one should never take these picks too seriously...but it is a good series as it does introduce us to the innovations in the marketplace each year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-20-2008
moderate?

You are correct SD...should have said monohull even though sailboats have one hull and water transports have 2 or heaven forbid...more.