Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, if you had a tiny bit of a clue, you'd realize most of us are really not bashing Catalinas, but making fun of our friend and respected moderator, Cruisingdad, who is a Catalina fanatic and Technical Editor for the Catalina 400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfinger View Post
I'm guessing none of you Catalina-bashers were in Port Aransas to see a Catalina win the Harvest Moon Regatta. Y'all really need to get over it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2008
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Thanks for the update Mike. I will disagree with you that Hunter quality improved from 1998 on. I have seen enough of their new boats in that period to know that while designs may have changed...they were still building to that 1990's standard until recently...if I had to guess, I'd say that around 2004-2005 they really began to address some of the quality issues and I think it will be a few more years yet before we can truly say that the newer boats have stood up well to hard use...though your own testimony about the factory and some of the testing they are now undergoing bodes well for a change in opinion by many. The good news is that no matter what quality they built to over the years...they always remembered to take care of their customers and so have a very loyal base.
So...we can agree that Henderson and his team have made a difference while disagreeing a bit on how far back that difference goes.
Henderson joined Hunter in 1998. No one can expect him to instantly pop-out a bunch of new designs, have the existing corporate structure immediately adopt them, re-tool on the spot and begin producing new and improved boats the next day. As with change in any large and complex manufacturing process, things are done one step at a time. Initially, the new designer's task would likely have been to convince the corporate hierarchy to adopt his first new design.

From what I can find out, Henderson's first 'from-the-ground-up" boat was the 356, introduced in 2002. Over 500 of these were built, and I will assume this made Hunter happy, and willing to give him more room. So the change you note as dating to 2004-05, fits well this scenario.

Quote:
That said...what the hell were they thinking with the new 50!!
I have no idea! It's certainly not my cup of tea, but I don't like centre cockpits, anyway. To me it seems a good example of a marketing team getting in the way of a design team. I'm sure that marketing knows more of its potential market than we do.

The 50 uses the 49 hull, which at 49'-11" can easily be called 50'. From the companionway forward, the interior has very few changes from the 49, so rework the after part of the interior, make a new deck mould and voila!

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 11-22-2008
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm guessing none of you Catalina-bashers were in Port Aransas to see a Catalina win the Harvest Moon Regatta. Y'all really need to get over it.

You left the "k" out of Arkansas!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 11-22-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I like the Outbound a lot from what I've seen bt it won't be in my budget anytime soon!
Who are you kidding? You had an awesome boat and decided to sell it to become trailer trash. I don't think budget has anything to do with it.

Old 11-22-2008

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Actually, if you had a tiny bit of a clue,
Wow, yikes. I may not have clue, but I have manners.
Old 11-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Ahhh

Sail is to Sailboats what Kentucky Fried Chicken is to chickens...

Hysterical. I'm still laughing.

Old 11-22-2008

Quote:
Wow, yikes. I may not have clue, but I have manners.
Don't take it personally Finger. Dawg just skips some of the formalities like, "while I respect your opinion and your right to express it without fear of retribution, I believe there may be another vantage point from which you might consider viewing the issue." That's what he's thinking, but it just comes out "hey jackass, . . ."

Welcome aboard, and all kidding aside, this is a very civil board. If you read a post that seems harsh, there is a better than even chance that someone is just teasing someone else. Like when CD wrote that Catalinas can make way under sail. He was just kidding about that.

Old 11-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
I have no idea! It's certainly not my cup of tea, but I don't like centre cockpits, anyway. To me it seems a good example of a marketing team getting in the way of a design team. I'm sure that marketing knows more of its potential market than we do.

The 50 uses the 49 hull, which at 49'-11" can easily be called 50'. From the companionway forward, the interior has very few changes from the 49, so rework the after part of the interior, make a new deck mould and voila!
It was the jacuzzi tub underneath the aft queen that really did it for me!!
Old 11-22-2008
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was the jacuzzi tub underneath the aft queen that really did it for me!!
It probably makes great storage.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 11-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

I thought you wanted the floating hot tub they had at the Annapolis boat show...LINK

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.