Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sail Magazine BOTY Awards for 2009

Sail Mag just came out with their annual BOTY awards. Excerpt of press release:

Flagship (>50’): Outbound 52, a center cockpit cruiser with well-conceived construction details
Cruising Multihull: Moxie 37, a South African designed and built catamaran that combines high- performance fun and leisure-mode cruising in a single well-conceived package
Performance: Santa Cruz 37, almost all-carbon, this boat displays excellent sailing performance
Small Boat: Bug by LaserPerformance, a bright new alternative in the sail trainer category for kids
Accommodations: Hunter 50, incorporating every shoreside amenity a sailor could wish for
Systems: Tartan 5300 with its dedicated attention to “systems room,” making all core connections, circuitry, batteries and equipment readily accessible to the user.
Deck/Cockpit: Outbound 52 for its deep, narrow, and secure cockpit design
• Cruising Monohull (<50’): There was no clear single winner in this category

Zinio | SAIL | Digital Magazines

Of course...a lot of this is advertiser oriented and directed...but is still good to read about neat new boats. I like the Outbound a lot from what I've seen bt it won't be in my budget anytime soon!
Old 11-20-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I got that rag 2 days ago?!?!?! anyway, personally like the SC37, but at over 400K by the time it is setup, beyond my budget. The A35 also in that catagory would fit budget sooner or the Jeanneau SF3200 not mentioned in the article, or the Dehler34 or X34 for the style/size of boat I like and want. The outbound really does not do much for me.......

marty
Old 11-20-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
WHERE ARE THE FREAKING CATALINAS!!!!! Obviously they do not know how to judge boats. Hmph.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
No Catalina's as there were NO. NONE, NADA new introductions of new boats to the Catalina fleet!

IIRC last year one got a BOTY award from someone, as did the year or two before, of course going off of memory here.
Old 11-20-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Sail Mag just came out with their annual BOTY awards. Excerpt of press release:

---

Deck/Cockpit: Outbound 52 for its deep, narrow, and secure cockpit design
That one surprises me.

I commented in the Annapolis Boatshow thread last month that I found the OB52 cockpit poorly conceived. What I particularly disliked about it was that there is a large step down in the cockpit sole, just before entering the companionway. Almost like a reverse bridgedeck. So if you are sitting all the way forward on the cockpit seats, you have a huge - dangerous - step down to the cockpit sole.

On the plus side, they do have extra cockpit drains in that recessed portion.

I also did not like the fact that the boat is built in China, but sells with a full figured price tag. One builder at the show actually admitted to me that they only have to pay their Chinese workers $1.50/day, plus a bowl of rice.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Catalinas are exactly where they're supposed to be... not on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
WHERE ARE THE FREAKING CATALINAS!!!!! Obviously they do not know how to judge boats. Hmph.

- CD

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-20-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The Catalinas are exactly where they're supposed to be... not on the list.
Didn't exactly mention the Telstar either!!!

Catalina: Still the best production boat built. Period.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-20-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Sail Mag just came out with their annual BOTY awards.
Systems: Tartan 5300 with its dedicated attention to “systems room,” making all core connections, circuitry, batteries and equipment readily accessible to the user.

Zinio | SAIL | Digital Magazines

Of course...a lot of this is advertiser oriented and directed...but is still good to read about neat new boats. I like the Outbound a lot from what I've seen bt it won't be in my budget anytime soon!
One can not help but wonder if Sail magazine got their ad money from Tartan up front and in cash!!
Old 11-20-2008

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
Catalina you've got to be kidding me! checked them out at the shows and scared the crap out of me! don't like a sole to rise and fall as i walk on it. also being a chemical hauler i don't like the fact that as you go down the companionway stairs you get hit with styrene odors, and what ever-else is used to glue down the carpet, vinyl, etc you know what i mean
as for the Ob52 i would hope there is supposed to be a great over that hole ((canyon) probably there to get the residuals out(water)(right?))
Old 11-20-2008
Banned

seawitch1906 is on a distinguished road
really ? best production boats Catalinas ? huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Didn't exactly mention the Telstar either!!!

Catalina: Still the best production boat built. Period.

- CD
in your bias dreams maybe .. slap some marine plywood around and build a boat in the swamp in Florida don't make this dinosaurs a Best production boat is it? Catalina is past and lived out his life expectancy by large ..
"period" did you looked your hull to deck joint lately ?
your 36 MK-II was decent boat and you stop build them ...how stupid is that ? but look at that "gorgeous" 44 Morgan look like a RV and sail like that to .. best boats? you are funny !

(I know you know better .) ..of course , but I could not let that go by..Period..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.