Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Travlr37-

The response to an EPIRB or a PLB is basically the same. The only major differences are:

A PLB is registered to a person, an EPIRB to a specific boat
A PLB has a shorter run time, 24 hours IIRC, vs. 48 hours for an EPIRB
A PLB generally needs to be held clear of the water to work properly, an EPIRB will float and work just fine
A PLB doesn't usually have an integrated strobe, the EPIRB does.

As for taking the EPIRB off of a boat and using it on another boat without changing the registration info—it is a really bad idea.

For one, the registration information has contact information in it that is often called when the EPIRB goes off. If the person answering the contact information doesn't realize what's going on, they may call the SAR effort off before it even gets started... imagine... they get a call at 4:00 am. They're asked about the boat, and they reply, "It's sitting at the dock, I was on it last night, and everything was fine." What do you think is going to happen with the SAR efforts... nothing.... they're shut down.

Second, the EPIRB registration has a vessel description. If you borrowed the EPIRB from a blue Tartan 37, and you're now on a 65' red Swan... they're going to be looking for the wrong boat.

Third, the vessel description also says how many people generally are on board... and if you've borrowed it from a 37' boat with a crew of two, and you're on a 65' boat with a crew of seven, they might not have the capacity to rescue everybody aboard.

Fourth, they may try contacting the boat in distress using the MMSI, or via name. Since you're not on the boat in the registration, the name and the MMSI will be wrong.

Finally, it may be taken as creating a false distress call, since the boat that the EPIRB is registered to isn't actually in distress more likely than not when you trigger it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
OK, so maybe I'm going to be worng again but here goes.

Firstly, I agree that swapping an EPIRB from boat to boat is a bad idea and I acknowledge that it takes very little effort, especially in the US where it can be done on-line, to change the details of the EPIRB. But . . . .

I thought the SAR people always called the contacts on the registered list to advise them of the apparent emergency.

If this is so and the EPIRB you're borrowing belongs to you (your boat, your list of contacts) then it stands to reason that your family will get the initial call.

So, having said that, is it also not likely that if you family knew the situation they would be able to advise the SAR that the boat is different but that the emergency is probably real? The number of people on board is moot because that will change every time the boat leaves it's berth (at least it will on mine ) and AFAIK that is not a piece of data recorded against the EPIRB.

So if the chips were down and the choice was to leave without an EPIRB or to leave with one that had the wrong details, I may take mine with me, having first advised my "contacts" of the detail changes. What I would do is task my "contacts" with updating the EPRIB details in my absence as soon as possible.

In NZ, the details of an EPIRB can't be changed on-line and AFAIK the office that does change it works office hours so the chance of the dilemma happening here is probably greater than in the US.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-24-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
How far in advance has this trip been planned? I wouldn't crew on a 9-day bluewater voyage without first having found out how well-found the boat was sufficiently far in advance that I would have time to re-register my EPIRB (if it came to that). Do people really go on trips like this (trips that would warrant bringing an EPIRB with them) at the spur of the moment?

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 11-26-2008

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Public and comps..

Thank you all for the info,
Bought his Dink off him for $1.Changed registration and registered It to the dink.If i have to push the momey switch this keeps him out of it...

Thank you All
MARK
Old 11-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generally not a real bright idea to have an EPIRB registered to a dinghy, since the dinghy has very few distinguishing characteristics and doesn't describe the big boat, or how many people would be on the big boat.

The EPIRB registration is supposed to describe the boat in question, as well as how many people it can carry. Registering the EPIRB to the dinghy means that instead of looking for the 40' sailboat, which you may be on when it is damaged.... they're looking for a small dinghy and may overlook the bigger boat initially as the description doesn't match.

If you have to pull the tab on the EPIRB, I registering it to a dinghy doesn't earn you a Darwin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
Bought his Dink off him for $1.Changed registration and registered It to the dink.If i have to push the momey switch this keeps him out of it...

Thank you All
MARK

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-26-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
I don't understand why you couldn't register your EPRIB to his boat for the duration of the voyage, assuming you have enough advance notice to submit the registration before you leave. Once you get back, just re-register the EPIRB to your boat. It's no big deal; I've done it several times.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 11-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Generally not a real bright idea to have an EPIRB registered to a dinghy, since the dinghy has very few distinguishing characteristics and doesn't describe the big boat, or how many people would be on the big boat.

The EPIRB registration is supposed to describe the boat in question, as well as how many people it can carry. Registering the EPIRB to the dinghy means that instead of looking for the 40' sailboat, which you may be on when it is damaged.... they're looking for a small dinghy and may overlook the bigger boat initially as the description doesn't match.

If you have to pull the tab on the EPIRB, I registering it to a dinghy doesn't earn you a Darwin.
Dog,
Read post #6 and click on link..expand it and you will see where i am going and why i want this NOT CONNECTED TO PREVIOUS OWNER..but it will work here.

Thank you
Mark
Old 11-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
I don't understand why you couldn't register your EPRIB to his boat for the duration of the voyage, assuming you have enough advance notice to submit the registration before you leave. Once you get back, just re-register the EPIRB to your boat. It's no big deal; I've done it several times.
Read post #6,
Expand link...Look where this is and think do you want this connected to YOU if it is found by the wrong side? It is going in my buggout bag.When driving comes out of the truck with me.If i have no support then i SCREAM MOMMY..and conserve amo because we do no carry weapons

Mark
Old 11-26-2008
Telstar 28

Mark—

You'd be better off with a PLB... They're a lot smaller and easier to hide.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-27-2008
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
Take the EPIRP with you and get on with it , yes you should re-register but the SAR peolpe will respond. You may get a talking to, but if you need to be recused then that is the last thing on your mind.

Let your EPIRB contact person know what you are doing that alls.