Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008

travler37 is on a distinguished road
EPIRB changing boats?

So i think anyone that has researched EPIRB's knows they are registered to a specific boat.

What happens if you do not change the registration when you change boats?And use it.Or your going on a short bluewater crossing on a boat that does not have one so you bring the one off your boat and USE IT...

Any sea lawers out there care to comment?Or SAR that have had this happen?

Thank You
Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
You should and can re-register you EPIRB if you shift it to another boat. It is easy to do and you should do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 11-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
You should and can re-register you EPIRB if you shift it to another boat. It is easy to do and you should do so.
I understand that you should....
But say your going for 9 DAY SAIL AND YOU FIND OUT THE CAPTAIN DOESNT HAVE ONE.You go over 5 docks to your boat and grab yours.Throw the lines and go.No time or onboard comp to change it.Is there a penalty for using it?Assumes you let your registered contact number know what was going on....

By the way does it cost money to change it?I never had one.

My Questions
Mark
Old 11-22-2008

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
it takes 5 minutes online time to change EPIRB registration
Emergency Beacon Registration Redirection Welcome Page
Old 11-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
it takes 5 minutes online time to change EPIRB registration
Emergency Beacon Registration Redirection Welcome Page
Yup,
Sounds good.No i do not remember my password.No i do not have access to a comp or phone to change it.......Grabbed it off my boat and took it on another boat!

Now back to the question...What happens if i use it on someone elses boat?Does anybody know?
My question
Mark
Old 11-22-2008

Ok,
Now this is not just a "Question".it might save my ass.I am going somewhere around here.

Iraq - Google Maps

I have ben offered one to take with me.But cant register it.It is currantly registered.Will be surprized if i can get it in-country but if i end up in the wrong place might come in handy

So,
Are there any laws that any know of for setting one off if it is off the registered boat?
Thoughts
Mark
Old 11-22-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Check to see why you can't register it? Has it been registered under another's name? It was to my understanding that you can re-register them. The company's that I have worked for told me that they did re-registered them when they moved them to another vessel.

You should be able to do so... Give it another try, and if you can get a person at NOAA on the line, so they can help you through the process.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 11-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Check to see why you can't register it? Has it been registered under another's name? It was to my understanding that you can re-register them. The company's that I have worked for told me that they did re-registered them when they moved them to another vessel.

You should be able to do so... Give it another try, and if you can get a person at NOAA on the line, so they can help you through the process.
Click on the link and expand it,,
My boat is a truck...And i am in the OH **** zone.

I dont have a boat...so can not register it.This is something we have ben talking about in case i am taken.My thoughts are the legal problems if i have to use it and it is registered to him.Also the public database ties...Will his name show up in the news? There is not MOMEY switch we are given in-country.

So back to the question,
If you do not change the registry and use it..What are the legal problems?What happens?
Anyone know?

Thoughts
Mark
Old 11-23-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Traveler - get a PLB not a EPIRB. a PLB you register to yourself a EPIRB goes to the boat. A PLB you register one time and you take it wherever with no consequences.

Its also smaller than a EPIRB and looks less of a terroist threat than a EPIRB so easier to check into airports and the likes.

But to answer one of your questions - at minimum for having a non-properly, registered EPIRB that goes off friviously - its a 10K minimum fine. If it goes off while you are on another vessel - you probably will not get fined - just never located becuase it is tied to a boat name and description. So if say you have a EPIRB (I didn't read the whole thread) registered for use on a Catalina 27 and you are on a Benny 47 when it goes off - they probably will skip you by unless they geo locate and see distress if they look that far.

Got to put yourself in their shoes - EPIRBS being boat designated and why they are mucho more expensive than PLBs, is because there is more info about the boat due to the registration... So they are going to look for best match - and considering a EPIRB is designed to float and most likely in most cases become detached from the boat that sinks or is in distress... you can follow the thinking...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 11-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Traveler - get a PLB not a EPIRB. a PLB you register to yourself a EPIRB goes to the boat. A PLB you register one time and you take it wherever with no consequences.

Its also smaller than a EPIRB and looks less of a terroist threat than a EPIRB so easier to check into airports and the likes.

But to answer one of your questions - at minimum for having a non-properly, registered EPIRB that goes off friviously - its a 10K minimum fine. If it goes off while you are on another vessel - you probably will not get fined - just never located becuase it is tied to a boat name and description. So if say you have a EPIRB (I didn't read the whole thread) registered for use on a Catalina 27 and you are on a Benny 47 when it goes off - they probably will skip you by unless they geo locate and see distress if they look that far.

Got to put yourself in their shoes - EPIRBS being boat designated and why they are mucho more expensive than PLBs, is because there is more info about the boat due to the registration... So they are going to look for best match - and considering a EPIRB is designed to float and most likely in most cases become detached from the boat that sinks or is in distress... you can follow the thinking...
I can definatly follow that thinking,
Thank you for the "FINE" info.Where i'm going Plb might be the answer.Still thinking rapid responce there might respond to EPIRB better.Will cheak more with that side of the sandbox...

So back to the thread...
You take your EPIRB and take it to another boat for a weeekend...

Now the fine is? if it goes off.As in the idiot captain was over his head and set it off.Then you pay?Asking......

As for my sit...Actually think i will decline as i do not know how far back he will be published if i do push th switch....

Thank You
Mark