Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Russian VOR broaches at 30 knots boat speed VIDEO LINK

The VOR Russian boat sailing in real 40 knots winds, doing peaks of 34 knots boat speed does a Chinese broach.

The boat was flying thru a wave, and landed sideways...

Watch video here

Pretty impressive

NOW...watch footage in the end...

(off course this is nothing to our PNW guys that do this everyday before breakfast)...

Last edited by Giulietta; 11-23-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Alex. This should get the attention of those over on the BFS thread.

Last edited by bubb2; 11-23-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2008
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Wow!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2008

citation34 is on a distinguished road
Maybe Smack daddy should watch this. Might lower the B.S. factor....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Liberty' Citation 34
Old 11-23-2008

adru is on a distinguished road
Chinese Broach?

Could you please explain what is meant by a "chinese broach", does the term have more meaning than the boat being blown over or does the fact that a wave was involved have something to do with it.
Thanks
"Never pray for an easier life - pray to be a stronger person! Never pray for tasks equal to your power - pray for power equal to your tasks. Then doing your work will be no miracle - you will be the miracle." Phillips Brooks
Old 11-23-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Whoa crap

If I was to do that before breakfast, I would be cleaning breakfast off the deck until dinner

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 11-23-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
A Chinese is when the stern of the boat moves into the wind.

It happens when the top of the sail goes onto the other side, but the boom stays in the side it was already. Its nasty, but mostly created by low boom jack tension and allowing the boom to raise, as happens when boats jump in the water (which was the case).

I don't know if I can post this, but here is Andreas Hanakamp's report on it. (Cam if I can't delete it).

He was right, on the wheel the boat felt much better than in the navstation, so we kept going, more aggressive when the breeze was down, conservative when the breeze was up. A cloud line brought the wind up to 42 knots and the speed topped out well over 30 knots and we got ready to drop the kite. By the time we were ready, the breeze had gone down to 35 knots and everything was fine. At the watch change, I handed the wheel over to Stig (Westergaard/DEN) and I went for the grinder to assist Wouter (Verbraak – navigator). As before, we were submerged from time to time when the boat shot through massive waves.

Facing aft on the grinder, I heard Stig screaming ‘we Chinese’ as the boat slowed down almost to a standstill up to the mast in solid green. Then everything went into slow motion, not a violent knock down but the boat slowly turning, heeling more and more over to the wrong side, the boom high up in the air until coming over and the kite flying around the forestay to the new leeward side and flapping in the 35 knots breeze. Fate was inexorable, nothing left to be done, but wait for the inevitable. The stack of sails on the aft starboard corner of the boat was under water, the starboard spreader camera as well as the keel and the sails were holding the boat on 90 degrees to its designed floatation.

I climbed the vertical deck (as I normally climb rock) to free the runner, Wouter handed me a knife to cut free the lashing, Cam (Camron Wills/RSA) pulling the runner tail and Oleg (Zherebtsov/RUS) grinding it. Meanwhile, Jeremy (Elliot/IRL) and Mikey (Mike Joubert/RSA) managed to get the keel moving to the other side to righten up the boat again.

Once up, the boat accelerated to 15 knots and all on deck got to the foredeck to take town the A6 that had meanwhile wrapped around the headstay. Once this sail had gone inside, we gybed Kosatka back, got the Q9 out of the bag, had another little issue as it unfurled before it should, unreefed the main and were back on track.

Nobody got hurt, only the pulpit is bent and quite ugly, no other damage (Thanks Rob for the strong boat!). Mark (Covell MCM) managed to record some of it on video, so watch this programme in the near future.

Volvo Ocean Race: Team Russia’s big broach - Australian Sailing News - YACHTe.com.au

Last edited by Giulietta; 11-23-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
How does that differ from a knockaroach?
Old 11-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
How does that differ from a knockaroach?
This is real life, real numbers, real conditions....a Chinese...

The Knockroach is only seen in BFS...and similars....different "oceans" of truth
Old 11-23-2008

Another question for you Alex, how fast was Giuletta going in order for you to take the video from your stern and into the cockpit of the Russian boat?