Navigating with an iPhone? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 11-25-2008
Last Man Standing

Cool - thanks Chris. I'll look into the charts issue some more.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 11-25-2008
A New Adventurer

The lack of cell phone reception is the reason I went with the Garmin Blue Charts. I have all the Great Lakes info on about 450mb of my card. I can use it anywhere any time... with or without reception. It works just like any touchscreen Garmin NUVI.

I also have the Garmin street maps and topo maps too. I can't see carrying around my old Garmin handheld when the cell phone does it all. If im hiking in the woods, out on the water or in any city, I always have my cell phone.

Just please buy the maps... don't steal them!
post #23 of 43 Old 11-25-2008
Telstar 28

My friend has the iPhone and a lot of the location based software works on it, but uses cell tower triangulation rather than the GPS to ge a rough location. Some of the software, like the navigation one being discussed probably require the iPhone 3G and GPS chip, but not all do. You can also use the iPhone's BT to tether it to to a BT GPS... and some of the GPS-based software will run on the iPhone if that is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Sorry SD, I assumed that's what we were discussing for just that reason. Any mention of GPS IMPLIES the iPhone 3G since it's the only version to date to have an integrated GPS receiver. Granted it is possible to use an external GPS receiver but since that has not been mentioned in the thread I think it's safe to conclude that the OP isn't using an external unit.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #24 of 43 Old 11-25-2008 Thread Starter

I had no cell signal this past weekend and the GPS worked well.

What I do is have the chart I use in the iPhone also as hard copy and track my progress on the chart, using the phone GPS for position.

If its got a good GPS signal the phone is accurate to about 50'.

I put the phone in a small zip loc bag to keep it dry and keep it in the cockpit or cabin to minimize potential misshaps...

If you compare functionality side by side to any hand help GPS the iPhone wins hands down for ease of use and chart quality.

BTW- I mentioned that I day sail and weekend sail and the phone is very good for that. I would not use it for a primary on a long passage because at a minimum you need to be able to take a noon sight with a sextant if all else fails.
post #25 of 43 Old 11-25-2008

Good info, thanks Paul. I plan to use my iphone as primary nav and my garmin handheld as the backup.
post #26 of 43 Old 11-25-2008
A New Adventurer

Wow... I just looked at the "Active Captain" software and for $19.95 you can't go wrong.
post #27 of 43 Old 11-25-2008

An i-phone like option is the garmin oregon. The touch screen interface is not as slick as the i-phone, but it runs on AAs, is rugged and waterproof. It also has some true marine features like a compas, anchor drag alarm etc. I am not sure if these are available on cell phone gps systems. The price is high for a handheld (I paid $420 online, including built in blue charts for all US coastal areas), but since I do not have a full size chart plotter it seemed worth it. My only complaint is the screen is hard to read in direct light. You can adjust the brightness, but the you then burn through batteries quick.
post #28 of 43 Old 11-25-2008
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSail51 View Post
I had no cell signal this past weekend and the GPS worked well.

What I do is have the chart I use in the iPhone also as hard copy and track my progress on the chart, using the phone GPS for position.

If its got a good GPS signal the phone is accurate to about 50'.

I put the phone in a small zip loc bag to keep it dry and keep it in the cockpit or cabin to minimize potential misshaps...

If you compare functionality side by side to any hand help GPS the iPhone wins hands down for ease of use and chart quality.

BTW- I mentioned that I day sail and weekend sail and the phone is very good for that. I would not use it for a primary on a long passage because at a minimum you need to be able to take a noon sight with a sextant if all else fails.
Cool. Thanks for the feedback Paul. That's what I was looking for.
post #29 of 43 Old 11-25-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Wow... I just looked at the "Active Captain" software and for $19.95 you can't go wrong.
Hmm. looks like the even have a PalmOS version. I might have try out the demo and see how it compares to PathAway 4.

Chris

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
post #30 of 43 Old 11-25-2008

Post Date: 2018-11-08 09:51PM
I can't believe you guys are wasting time with a phone in a plastic bag.
I've had mine implanted for a year now. Once you have tried sub-vocalization control and direct neural ocular heads-up display you will not go back.
As a cool side effect when I'm dreaming I sometimes call up the chart and work on my next days course, saving lots of time.
Now that I'm getting older it's handy for locating restrooms in a strange mall too.
Next week I'm scheduled for surgery to get the overlay radar upgrade.

Last edited by davidpm; 11-25-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.