SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Navigating with an iPhone? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/49197-navigating-iphone.html)

PaulSail51 11-24-2008 05:09 PM

Navigating with an iPhone?

I recently sold my Garmin 76CS Plus because my iPhone with iNavX is so much better.

Since I had the phone already I thought I'd try the charts for $49.95. Good move.

I am presently a day/weekend sailor. In the past I cruised the world on my Force 50 for 10 years and used LORAN and a sextant (pre GPS)

Now while I wouldn't recommend using the iPhone as a primary for long passages, it's perfectly fine for checking position on a day sail or visiting the Channel Islands (CA), and up and down the S. California coast.

It's accurate, re-draws quickly and can be seen reasonably well in daylight.

Check it out...

smackdaddy 11-24-2008 05:12 PM

I am really glad to hear you say that, Paul! I've been using my iPhone GPS (with the GPS Kit app). It's not super accurate - but it's pretty damn cool. I'll check out the iNavX app - and the charts.

It's great to hear an experienced sailor give it some love.

CaptKermie 11-24-2008 05:21 PM

I can't for the life of me understand why you would sell the Garmin 76cs and rely on just an iphone! I would add the iphone for redundancy but never give up my Garmin.
I did not realize there was nav charts for the iphone but I am aware of charts and a program called Active Captain for Windows Mobile smart phones which I am looking into. I would not use a smart phone to replace my Garmin but instead use it to supplement my Garmin.
The smart phones of today are pretty awsome with Blackberry Storm and HTC Touch HD being strong competitors to the iphone. I am leaning towards the HTC with WM to run ActiveCaptain myself as I believe the AC program has more to offer.

btrayfors 11-24-2008 05:29 PM

One good reason to use the IPhone (or other handheld PDA device) instead of/in addition to the Garmin is that it/they can use RASTER CHARTS...you know, those ones that look EXACTLY like the real charts (because they ARE).

Personally, I wouldn't use anything else but raster charts. And, yes, I know all about vector charts...too much, in fact!

Give me a chart which : (a) looks EXACTLY like the real paper chart; and (2) is, in fact, an exact replica of the official paper chart, not a knockoff digitized by some yahoo making minimum wage. That means RASTER. Can you spell it?

Sorry for the rant; just makes my blood boil to see some of what's going on in the new world of push-button yachting :-)

B.

PaulSail51 11-24-2008 05:49 PM

With Respects to the "Captain"

The Garmin is clunky to use and the iPhone is elegant. The Garmin requires you to use an arrow key to navigate the charts, hit or miss when navigating the screen, the iPhone, you use the multi touch screen, and the Garmin does NOT have the detail of the raster charts.

Granted the iPhone is not perfect but it will get you where you are going as it has proved in numerous trips to the islands and up and down the coast.

Also as I said, I am simply day sailing and weekending, not navigating the Atlantic or going to Hawaii, in which case I would use a serious chart plotter.

BTW- the HTC w Windows Mobile is nothing compared to the iPhone. Windows mobile is buggy and generally regarded as crap, it filled a vacuum when Palm crashed and burned. The Apple hardware/software integration, industrial design, interface design, control of third party applications and quality is superior to anything that is currently out there.

Donít be surprised when we start seeing articles about the iPhone capabilities being tested on long passages.

sailingdog 11-24-2008 06:03 PM

Paul-

The Garmin can be loaded with Garmin's own BlueChart charts, and they're quite good.

One thing you're neglecting... the Garmin uses AA batteries, so if the batteries die, they can be easily replaced. The Garmin is also waterproof, IPX7 rated anyways, and floats. If you drop the iPhone, you can kiss it BUH BYE... :)

tommays 11-24-2008 06:04 PM

So

People are willing to use and iPhone that cost as much as a good handheld GPS and is about as waterproof as a sheet of notebook paper :laugher

funjohnson 11-24-2008 06:04 PM

I run the Garmin blue charts on my HTC PPC-6700 (Sprint Mogul) and im impressed with how well it works. I had them for an older Garmin GPS and just setup a program to run it on the phone. If you have the charts already, the program can be found on Piratesbay.org (torrent site).

eMKay 11-24-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 407121)
So

People are willing to use and iPhone that cost as much as a good handheld GPS and is about as waterproof as a sheet of notebook paper :laugher

It costs half as much as a GPS with charts, it costs 1/4 as much as a GPS with even remotely comparable charts. Also you can browse the internet, make a call, and listen to your tunes...And as for it being "waterproof", don't drop it in the water, simple as that. Or spend $30 for a waterproof case.

Technology, old farts, embrace it.

tommays 11-24-2008 06:16 PM

I am sorry but my stuff gets wet i go sailing and it even rains hard sometimes

And i have NEVER found anything missing or out of place on a 99 dollar Lowrance Nauticpath chip which work just fine with a 150 dollar handheld that is waterproof:rolleyes: