Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008

PaulSail51 is on a distinguished road
Navigating with an iPhone?

I recently sold my Garmin 76CS Plus because my iPhone with iNavX is so much better.

Since I had the phone already I thought I'd try the charts for $49.95. Good move.

I am presently a day/weekend sailor. In the past I cruised the world on my Force 50 for 10 years and used LORAN and a sextant (pre GPS)

Now while I wouldn't recommend using the iPhone as a primary for long passages, it's perfectly fine for checking position on a day sail or visiting the Channel Islands (CA), and up and down the S. California coast.

It's accurate, re-draws quickly and can be seen reasonably well in daylight.

Check it out...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I am really glad to hear you say that, Paul! I've been using my iPhone GPS (with the GPS Kit app). It's not super accurate - but it's pretty damn cool. I'll check out the iNavX app - and the charts.

It's great to hear an experienced sailor give it some love.
Old 11-24-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I can't for the life of me understand why you would sell the Garmin 76cs and rely on just an iphone! I would add the iphone for redundancy but never give up my Garmin.
I did not realize there was nav charts for the iphone but I am aware of charts and a program called Active Captain for Windows Mobile smart phones which I am looking into. I would not use a smart phone to replace my Garmin but instead use it to supplement my Garmin.
The smart phones of today are pretty awsome with Blackberry Storm and HTC Touch HD being strong competitors to the iphone. I am leaning towards the HTC with WM to run ActiveCaptain myself as I believe the AC program has more to offer.
Old 11-24-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
One good reason to use the IPhone (or other handheld PDA device) instead of/in addition to the Garmin is that it/they can use RASTER CHARTS...you know, those ones that look EXACTLY like the real charts (because they ARE).

Personally, I wouldn't use anything else but raster charts. And, yes, I know all about vector charts...too much, in fact!

Give me a chart which : (a) looks EXACTLY like the real paper chart; and (2) is, in fact, an exact replica of the official paper chart, not a knockoff digitized by some yahoo making minimum wage. That means RASTER. Can you spell it?

Sorry for the rant; just makes my blood boil to see some of what's going on in the new world of push-button yachting :-)

B.
Old 11-24-2008

PaulSail51 is on a distinguished road
With Respects to the "Captain"

The Garmin is clunky to use and the iPhone is elegant. The Garmin requires you to use an arrow key to navigate the charts, hit or miss when navigating the screen, the iPhone, you use the multi touch screen, and the Garmin does NOT have the detail of the raster charts.

Granted the iPhone is not perfect but it will get you where you are going as it has proved in numerous trips to the islands and up and down the coast.

Also as I said, I am simply day sailing and weekending, not navigating the Atlantic or going to Hawaii, in which case I would use a serious chart plotter.

BTW- the HTC w Windows Mobile is nothing compared to the iPhone. Windows mobile is buggy and generally regarded as crap, it filled a vacuum when Palm crashed and burned. The Apple hardware/software integration, industrial design, interface design, control of third party applications and quality is superior to anything that is currently out there.

Donít be surprised when we start seeing articles about the iPhone capabilities being tested on long passages.
Old 11-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Paul-

The Garmin can be loaded with Garmin's own BlueChart charts, and they're quite good.

One thing you're neglecting... the Garmin uses AA batteries, so if the batteries die, they can be easily replaced. The Garmin is also waterproof, IPX7 rated anyways, and floats. If you drop the iPhone, you can kiss it BUH BYE...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-24-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
So

People are willing to use and iPhone that cost as much as a good handheld GPS and is about as waterproof as a sheet of notebook paper

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-24-2008
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
I run the Garmin blue charts on my HTC PPC-6700 (Sprint Mogul) and im impressed with how well it works. I had them for an older Garmin GPS and just setup a program to run it on the phone. If you have the charts already, the program can be found on Piratesbay.org (torrent site).
Old 11-24-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
So

People are willing to use and iPhone that cost as much as a good handheld GPS and is about as waterproof as a sheet of notebook paper
It costs half as much as a GPS with charts, it costs 1/4 as much as a GPS with even remotely comparable charts. Also you can browse the internet, make a call, and listen to your tunes...And as for it being "waterproof", don't drop it in the water, simple as that. Or spend $30 for a waterproof case.

Technology, old farts, embrace it.
Old 11-24-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
I am sorry but my stuff gets wet i go sailing and it even rains hard sometimes

And i have NEVER found anything missing or out of place on a 99 dollar Lowrance Nauticpath chip which work just fine with a 150 dollar handheld that is waterproof

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat