Attn: People with the pretty boats. How do you do it? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It helps to have a boat with minimal maintenance intensive stuff on deck... teak handrails, cap rails, etc etc look terrific when freshly done but quickly deteriorate. We have no exposed wood on deck so simply keeping her clean goes a long way to maintaining the looks.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
John,

What is Sailcare all about? Can you say more about them? My sails are looking a bit faded.

Regards
Here's my experience with Sailcare. On my mainsail and my 110 jib they did a fabulous job. They came back white and perfect. The genoa I had trouble with. The person who actually worked on that sail no longer works for sailcare, for screwing up a number of sails not just mine. I sent the sail back to have one item that was repaired incorrectly fixed. When I got the sail back I found another item that had been done to the sail (on the first trip in) for no particular reason. The sail shape was much worse than it's usual blown out crap. I was able to undo that mistake myself. Jerry at Sailcare was nothing less than wonderful to work with, and will take care of any problem immediately. I told him what caused the problem I was having, and that's when he told me she had been fired for doing just the kind of thing she did to me.

I'm tring to talk my wife into a new set of sails, but I would use sailcare again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 11-25-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
My strategy for a nice looking boat is to park it next to a boat even more neglected. That way mine doesn't look so bad.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 11-25-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
buy a new boat every 2 years

consider that you are looking at photos. i suspect many will look different with a close personal inspection.

this goes along with the 5 foot rule...does it look good from 5 feet away?
Or perhaps the 10 foot rule. my boat pictures were taken from 50' away. do not magnify my pix!

how many times have I heard the comment that a boat on yachtworld looked great, but in person looked terrible. I've seen that myself.
Old 11-25-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I agree with Vasco, most of the shiny boats are the "after" pics. Mine was "after" six months in the shop and many boat bucks. I'll keep it looking good but I'd rather use it than spend all the good weather varnishing and polishing.

To the OP- since you are in Alaska and only have a two week sailing season, you are excused from normal bright work maintenance

John
You got it backwards. I have a two week bright work season. Year round sailing season Right now the weather is nicer (albeit about 10 degrees colder) than our entire month of July.
Old 11-25-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
I'm tring to talk my wife into a new set of sails, but I would use sailcare again.
Be very aware that sailcare isn't cheap. My main and genoa cost over $1500 to clean and according to Jerry do some minor repairs.
Old 11-25-2008
Banned

seawitch1906 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
Lots of cool pictures posted here over the last week or so, particularly the "on the hard" thread. It got me thinking... Geesh those are some shiny boats. Polished hulls, clean bright bootstipes, varnished rails & brightwork, new canvas, white sails etc etc... Not since I toured the "you must get your hull polished monthly, and you can't use your boat or do anything else with it" marina on Shelter Island, San Diego, have I seen such a collection of little gems. Am I missing something here? I spent about 2 weeks a year and a half ago repainting my deck. It looked nice for about 6 months.... The hull? Polished it 2 years ago, took about 2 days. looked good for about 2 months. Brightwork: did it all 2 years ago with the deg. Looks like crap now. Sails? cleaning? that means sailing the the rain right? done that. Seems like just keeping up the important stuff like wiring, engine, plumbing, rig etc consumes all of my time and money. I don't lead that busy of a life, but sure couldn't find any time to perty up the old girl this year. Not that I didn't want to. I would love to.
So how is it done?

well I believe it is a fundamental difference between you and others who keep there boats pretty .. if is work for you .. well it shows.. we (count myself and some of us ) who LOVE work on our boats, find the time and find it important .. I'm not talking boat show display , but pristine, pretty showing some one love that boat .. if your life have no room pamper your boat perhaps you should charter , to me nothing more sad sight that is ..when I see a gorgeous sailboat lay neglected in her slip .. almost physically hurt ..
Having a sail boat is not only a boat but the way I live and SHE is part of this life of mine.. SO instead of warming a bar stool some place(not because is anything wrong with that) I chose to hang on my boat and make sure she is well take in care of ..I f you have some one look after your boat , it is like have your child with the help ..Not my cup of tea

but that is me .. if you dont have the time sell her to some one who has , or change your work ( nothing worth more than sailing ) but as you see I'm bias a bit ...
Old 11-25-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Be very aware that sailcare isn't cheap. My main and genoa cost over $1500 to clean and according to Jerry do some minor repairs.

Holy crap that's expensive!! I was just quoted $1485.00 for a brand new main sail for my CS-36... Half the cost of new for a clean and patch???

As for keeping clean I learned a long time ago while working on those big shiny yachts that you need a rotation or schedule. I stick to the schedule and it's easier. Let something go for too long and it will take three times as long to get looking new again. I live very close to my boat and during the season I am on her at least once per day. Every time I go out there I have a small project or cleaning or maintenance item that I check off. Then I go sailing..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-25-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
My strategy for a nice looking boat is to park it next to a boat even more neglected. That way mine doesn't look so bad.
That works for me!!

I'm a bit festideous when it comes to neat and clean.

But shiny is taking things a bit too far!!
Old 11-25-2008
Banned

seawitch1906 is on a distinguished road
clean baot . clean mind ..

nothing more disturbing ,then go aboard on a dirty ,full of crap boat , dinggie lines, dirty canvas, clutter miles high .. sailing is... free your spirit, free your mind, and it is almost impossible to enjoy when you haul around 200 lb .of trash on board ..
when you haul the canvas out and it is dirty ... well not the same feeling is it?!
cruising offshore well supplied , is one thing but sail on a neglected boat , wonder what will give next ,due to that "so called deferred maintenance "that is not fun in my book
she (the boat ) will take care of you , if you take care of her ...if you neglect that pretty girl .. well she will let you down to ...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.