Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008

Drifter2869 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well so much for freedom of speech eh. I never really have had anything to say about tartan one way or another, but will probably make a point to bring up how they bullyed a sail forum to violate the freedom of speech to the people I meet, like other sailors and all around the docks and all the places I go, sad day indeed. Thank you for all you have done as a moderator and a nice person all the way around. I also think it is a big lost for sailnet. The best to you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Thanks everyone for your kind words and good wishes. They are much appreciated.
In answer to a couple of questions.
1. I DO have the complete thread which I immediately got from google once the original was deleted. It is piecemeal and I am in the process of reconstructing it so that it may be reviewed in the order and date which it was written.
2. One additional reason for leaving as moderator was to allow me to post as an individual (as I always have) with NO possibility that my own posts in any way represent sailnet.
3. There is additional news since the thread was deleted that is both public and factual and I will be sharing this in the next day or two. Please bear with me as I am busy with other things but will fill in the gaps as soon as I have time.

It occurs to me that it would be rather difficult to stifle a foreign based website/forum that would post the facts and then if there were lots of links to it, it would rise high on google search so that those interested in Tartan would have access to more than just marketing information about the company. It is also more difficult to stifle a hundred voices than just one.
Old 11-30-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
[QUOTE=sailingdog;409062]

I do feel let disappointed by the fact that you've now left us to the mercies of a mostly unchecked CruisingDad, who will be forcing his BBQ Catalina agenda on us without hesitation or restraint now that the sole voice of reason has vanished.
[/QUOTE

I'll miss Cam xing out or changing what I say on various threads. But I back him 100%

I have one question. Who is this BBQ-CD guy you refer to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 11-30-2008

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for all your effort as one of the guards of this asylum. But, on the upside, it is always more fun to be McMurphy than Ratched.
Old 11-30-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Like the others, I want to thank you from my heart for all the work you did here on Sailnet. With your guiding hand it is what it is today.. Many heart felt thanks. Free speech is a dual edge sword. Here is swung both ways. In this case, it was a huge blow. Everyone loses here and no winners.
Good luck and I hope you find a site to post the Tartan debacle. The good news now is you can make serious fun at everyone including BBQ man without repercussions from the moderator! Enjoy your new found freedom!
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 11-30-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Thanks, Cam, for your contribution. Moderating is no fun, as I well know, and your contribution to Sailnet in that respect was well-appreciated.

Jim
Old 11-30-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Two and a half years ago my family and I moved to hurricane country without really understanding what this potentially entailed. Two storm seasons quietly came and went, and we were a happy family. Then came last September, with Hanna lurking in the southern Bahamas.

The forecast was for Hanna to develop into a strong Cat 3 or a weak Cat 4, making landfall at Savannah and Hilton Head Island. If this happened, the island would be physically cut in half, thousands of boats and homes destroyed, and many lives lost. This got our attention. The problem was that the storm was still many hundreds of miles away, and moving in a figure-8. So what's a family of four to do? Leave now? Wait? What to do with the boat? Move it? Move it where? Strip it and leave it? Suddenly there were hundreds of decisions to be made.

When the island's fate first seemed to be in jeapordy, I began receiving PMs from Cam. He told me what to do with the boat ("Forget about the boat. It's gone."), and he told me when to PREPARE to leave ("Immediately"). He took the time to look at his charts and to discuss possible places to move it (way up the May River), but decided that the boat was probably safest where it lay.

He also told me to stay put. Cam's PMs came with his own commentary on the weather forecasts, and a few lines on what the island would likely look like in the event that a strong Cat 3 hit. The seabed here is like a gentle ramp that would send salt water sloshing across the island. He also took the time to point out a variety of scenarios that would affect us in less dramatic ways, some of which might allow us to stay put, saving us a great deal of time and money that came with evacuating. If you've ever had to prepare for an evactuation, you know what I'm talking about here. It is extremely disruptive. Cam advised us to stay put, but to be prepared to leave on a moment's notice.

Several thousand people on HHI left early to avoid the massive traffic snarl that would occur if a mandatory evacuation order was given. School was cancelled. In the face of this, my wife took a great deal of comfort in Cam's personal attention, as he has dealt with these situations for many a hurricane season. Simply put, we were getting the best personal advice anyone could ever get. He wasn't playing it safe by telling us to "Get out now!" He was offering nuanced advice, showing a family of hillbillies how to play it smart and safe....

Meanwhile, events slowly played themselves out. Well before the storm reached our lattitude, I got a PM that said, "I am greatly relieved by this morning's forecast. I think you're going to be okay..." This came many hours before the NHC said exactly the same thing. Hanna's top had been torn up by sheer and would be passing well to the east. We were out of the woods, and we hadn't wasted a bunch of time and money by jumping the gun.

Anyway, here's my final point: Cam took a great deal of time and trouble to look out for a family he'd never met. Why? APPARENTLY HE THINKS THE LIVES AND FINANCIAL WELL BEING OF STRANGERS IS IMPORTANT.

Sooo... am I sad to wake up this morning to read of Cam's departure?

Thanks, Tartan!

Last edited by sailhog; 11-30-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I don't blame Sailnet, either; they are in a no-win situation.
I don't blame them, per se, but it's unfortunate the site's been diminished again.

Quote:
Was the thread saved in any form?
Google's cached copies. Search on the thread subject, gather the pieces, glue together in coherent order, pass out for others to paste all over the 'net It's been done before. I suspect Novis/Tartan committed a tactical error here.

Btw: Why is it the Tartan name seems to be getting the most attention? Novis apparently owns both Tartan and C&C, and the original thread was about Tartan/C&C issues, no?

Quote:
There is a chance it could be posted elsewhere as "fair comment".

You guys in the States still have "fair comment", right?
ITYM Fair Use. Fair use allows one to quote bits of an original work, and then only to support an original work.

Jim
Old 11-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Its hard to see where Sailnet is going as of late - but I have noticed as of late that overall - not nearly as active as it used to be when I first started posting beginning of the year...
Could be the time of year. Last season, about this time, I pretty much stopped posting here. Abracadabra was on the hard, winter was setting-in, other interests kicked-in.

No this year, tho. Hmmm... Does that mean the sailing bug is kicking-in harder?

Might also be Sailnet's made a couple decisions lately that have really annoyed some people. Killing-off the mailing lists like they did, with no warning. Implementing that brain-dead word censor that would whack things like "seacock" . (On a freakin' sailing forum, no less.) Gluing adverts to the end of peoples' posts.

Jim
Old 11-30-2008

Quote:
Legally speaking, there is precedence already established - and it occurred in the early BBS days that open forums where content is driven by users and not paid for - a company can not be held liable for the actions of, or content provided by those users.
I imagine you're referring to The Communications Decency Act, Section 230

Quote:
I should know - as I used to operate a mega-BBS back in the days and saw my own share of "frivolous intimidation threats to remove content"..
But you're not a lawyer, are you? No. Neither am I. But we both know this: Anybody can sue just about anybody in the U.S., for just about anything. And even if the plaintiff's case is frivolous, they can often prevail if the defendant cannot afford to mount a defense. I once watched a thorougly frivolous case last months and months, costing the defendants tens of thousands of dollars, before the plaintiff finally dropped their case on the verge of the Court declaring it frivolous. If the plaintiffs had run out of money they would have lost by default. Yes, the legal system here is really that screwed up.

Jim