Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008

rivaro is on a distinguished road
documentation vs. registration

Louisiana now requires all pleasure vessels must register with the state, documented or not. Times are tough for all the states and this is an additional source of income. I beleive you will see more states jump on board soon.
Roy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2008

CapriGem is on a distinguished road
Great Post Delirious!

I am preparing to re-document mine.
She was originally owned for her first decade by the Annapolis Naval Sailing Academy. The next owner stopped the documentation.
I have ALL paperwork you could imagine on the boat including EVERY bill of sail between owners over her 37 years of life including the request to cancel documentation by her second owner and multiple copies of all required forms and attached documents. So I imagine I should have everything I need no matter what.

Almost everyday I become more and more thankful for that binder of information. It's SO rare anymore to receive that level of through record keeping of a vessel.

Thanks again,

Tom
Old 12-15-2008

CAPTAINDAVE22 is on a distinguished road
I live in Syracuse and have been a sailor for many years. A motorized vessel operated in NY waters by a NYS resident - owner must always have a current/valid state registration. Federal documentation has no bearing on that for this state. Your trip sounds like something I should be doing. A 36 footer is the range I've been considering. Good Luck.
Old 12-15-2008

bleahey is on a distinguished road
In Texas one must also register with the state. However, one need only display the smallish sticker, not a series of letters and numbers required for a non CG documented vessel. Texas registration is good for two years. I just renewed my CG documentation, too. Painless, just fax a very short form to them.
Old 12-15-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
State registration for title is illegal for federally documented boats. That is of course independent of state registration for tax purposes. Together, that is why states do not require (and in fact may not require) the display of registration numbers on federally documented vessels.
Old 12-15-2008

divescubatime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snboard976 View Post
Is there any benefit to having a Coast Guard documented vessel?

I just bought a 36 foot sailboat and I am planning to head down to South America in one year.

The boat is registered in NY and was documented, but I don't know why I should pay extra for the Coast Guard documentation. Is there any benefit to keeping up the CG documentation over a simple NY state registration?
The Coast Guard or US documented is known world wide. They might not recognize a New York registration out side of the US. A documented boat can be checked by the authorities to confirm you and your boat are who you say you are. I use a guy in Biloxi, MS to do my documentation, that way I know it's right. The best $350.00 to $400.00 you will ever spend.
Capt Joe Taylor
Old 12-16-2008
Old Navy

TOMINDC2 is on a distinguished road
Documentation

Documentation of a new boat is all there for you at closing, making application quick and easy. Years later when you get the wander lust, documentation means digging up documents that be lost, misfiled, or in need of updating. The fee will probably inflate over time too.

Most states require registration (even Montana of all places). I just mailed in my $24 for another two years in Maryland (they throw in the tender sticker for free, but you still need to renew it and display the sticker on it as well). In event of a move, the CG has your paper. I was told that documenting means not having to retitle in your new home state; just registration, thereby obviating battles over taxes.

Domesticvesseldocumentation.com lists these as added benefits:

"A Documented Vessel is easier to buy, finance and sell because its entire history (from the Builders Certificate to present, showing all previous Owners and Mortgages) is Officially Recorded on it’s Abstract of Title. For this is the reason why “Documented” appears in used boat ads as one of the most important attributes of the vessel offered for sale."

"Documentation elevates your yacht to the status of a US Flagged Vessel, placing it under the purview of the United State Admiralty Law, which is why most lenders require Federal Documentation. More than simply a system of registry, it is a prestigious Maritime Tradition which comes down to us virtually unchanged since the day of the Republic."

Clearly, documentation makes sense if you cruise or plan to cruise.
KatMan2 #992
Gemini 105MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.