Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Sailnet Moderation

As many of you know, Camaraderie has left the moderation post. There are now two moderators: Jeff_H and myself.

We are now in the somewhat awkward position that we cannot read and police everything in this site. I am not sure, even with Camaraderie spending almost all his time here, that we ever could.

We may bring on another moderator. That is still up for discussion. However, at the very minimum, I would like to ask for some help here. It will help me to help you (both new and old members). Here goes:

1) If you see a post that is spam, push the REPORT POST button. It is the little red triangle with the exclamation point in the middle (upper right hand corner on your box). That will send a message to me and Jeff to delete the post and poster.

2) If you come across a post that is getting inappropriate or heated, please drop me a PM. This is critical. As I cannot read everything that happens here, I need your help to point some of them out. Please copy the link and paste it in the PM. Without that, I cannot easily find the post. AGAIN, PLEASE COPY THE LINK AND PASTE IT IN A PM. If you feel you should explain it some or you have a "side" to the story, let me know.

3) A "troll" is a person that posts on a thread/forum with the sole intent of stirring up trouble. They have no interest in sailing or our site. They simply think it is fun to make people mad. Unfortunately, we get them - a lot of them. When we do, you have every right to respond. However, please do not break the rules of our site when doing so. Also, alert me and I will jump in and send them on their way. You can alert me via the triangle or via PM. I would prefer PM in this instance. Again, please put a link to the thread.

4) Avoid off-topic if you are sensitive. In off-topic, we discuss many things that are not sailing realted. We also get into many heated conversations. We overlook things in Off-Topic that we might not elsewhere on the board.

5) If someone bothers you, you can simply put them on your ignore list. This will prevent you from seeing anything they post. I prefer this to you getting in a heated exchange with other members. Once you get into a heated exchange, the moderators have to get involved. Please note: When you put someone on ignore, you CAN see what they wrote if they are quoted by someone not on your ignore.

6) Any problems, PM me and Jeff. If you are having problems, please PM me and/or Jeff. We will look into it. This includes members that are infuriating you or that you feel are being inappropriate.

7) Act like adults. Enough said.

8) Be patient with us to delete SPAM. If someone wants to Spam at 3:00 am... I am not going to hop out of bed to run up here and delete it. Just try to avoid it until we can get around to it.

9) Mine and Jeff's word is final. Sorry guys, but it has to be. Just deal with it under the knowledge that we WILL make mistakes. We are simply going to make the best decision we can. You can PM me with your frustrations, but please do not paste them all over the open board!! All that will do is irritate me/Jeff. It is unecessary and will not win you any points. In fact, it might get you a vacation.

Thanks for your help and understanding. We will do the best we can to make this work for everyone and keep it fun and informative.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
If you do need another moderator I nominate sailingdog he posts in almost everythread and helps newcomers with the rules and is never starting trouble. He is not the kind of guy that goes off on a guy when he revives a post he just kindly suggests they look at his thread about getting the most outta sailnet. I have seen him guide many newcomers and help them get started on looking through this wonderful wealth of knowledge.
Old 12-01-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
First, exceptionally well stated, CD

Second, I also thing SD would make a fine moderator, if he has the time and inclination.

Third, I think ALL of the moderators do a fine job in an thankless position
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 12-01-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
What have you guys got against SD?

Jim
Old 12-01-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh, now that would be funny. On the one hand Dog's got plenty of time and knowledge to do the mod thang. On the other, he seems to have this thing about "stupid newbie questions". Oh well, I guess we can all change.

If he gets the gig - does this mean that everyone on his ignore list will be immediately banned? If so, Painkiller, we're screwed.
Old 12-01-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
good luck getting another moderator
I prefer a little back bone in the people/businesses I volunteer to support.
Old 12-01-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Chuckles, dude, you're just plain mad aren't you?
Old 12-01-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Not at all smacky, just a little disappointed in the positive power of free speech.
Old 12-01-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
You got it CD. I nominate Giu for the third moderator post.
Old 12-01-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I'm happy to help as requested wherever possible.