SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Mistral (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/49492-mistral.html)

Triton570 12-06-2008 01:58 PM

Mistral

Can anybody tell me what type of sailboat that's on the movie "The Perfect Storm", it's sailing from Portsmouth to Bermuda and is called the "Mistral" it's double ended about 32' sloop or cutter.

-pm

JohnRPollard 12-06-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton570 (Post 412951)
Can anybody tell me what type of sailboat that's on the movie "The Perfect Storm", it's sailing from Portsmouth to Bermuda and is called the "Mistral" it's double ended about 32' sloop or cutter.

-pm

I can't remember whether the movie was true to form, but it's supposed to be a Westsail 32. By the way, after abandoning the boat, it washed up on the coast of New Jersey, was hauled off and the owner sailed away in it after minimal repairs.

sailingdog 12-06-2008 09:31 PM

Its name was actually Satori in real life, the movie changed the name of the boat, and it was a Westsail 32 in real life... don't know what boat they used in the movie, but the one that survived the PERFECT STORM, was a Wetsnail 32.

Bene505 12-06-2008 10:04 PM

Why don't salvagers go out and recover a sailboat while it's still floating out there? I would think that would aviod the damage caused by getting washed up on shore. Is there no profit in it?

sailingdog 12-07-2008 04:25 AM

Bene505—

It's a damn big ocean, and unless you know exactly where the boat is and what gear is going to be needed to salvage it... there's very little point in going out to do so.

JohnRPollard 12-07-2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 413082)
Its name was actually Satori in real life, the movie changed the name of the boat, and it was a Westsail 32 in real life... don't know what boat they used in the movie, but the one that survived the PERFECT STORM, was a Wetsnail 32.

That's right, the true name was Satori.

I spooled the movie trailer, and although the clips of Mistral/Satori flash past very quickly, it does appear to be a Westsail 32.

Mirari 12-07-2008 09:34 AM

True, it was a Westsail 32. The movie grossly distorted the true facts, but thats Hollywood. Hence the name change. Incidently the captain later recovered Satori after it washed up on a beach. My golden rule........never ever abandon ship until she sinks out from under you. The Captain knew that but was ordered to abandon ship by the Coast Guard. Time and time again people abandon ship for a life raft or resue vessel and die in the process. Often times the very vessel they abandon is found safe after the storm but the crew has died.

msl 12-07-2008 10:42 AM

Read about The Perfect Storm/Westsail 32 Satori at this link.

SATORI and the Perfect Storm

Regards,
msl

WanderingStar 12-07-2008 11:09 AM

I didn't watch that movie in the theatre because I thought that it would offend me as a sailor and a CG veteran. Just last week I watched some of it on cable. I was right the first time. The book was a good peice of nonfiction. The movie was a bad hollywood fantasy.
I also thought her a westsail.