Video: Sailboat vs. Deception Pass - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-12-2008 Thread Starter
the pointy end is the bow

Video: Sailboat vs. Deception Pass

Came across this video today. It's video of a Tanzer 7.5 trying to go out Deception Pass against a flood tide. I had to look at the date of the video to make sure the knucklehead in the boat wasn't me, because our second boat was a Tanzer with the same window configuration and I used to do dumb stuff like that when gas was cheap and time was short.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-12-2008

Never been through there on a boat, but when I looked down at the Pass from the bridge above, I couldn't decide what would be worse: Pushing through it against or with the current!

That is an impressive spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
post #3 of 15 Old 12-12-2008
Telstar 28

You know, you could have kept your mouth shut and we'd never know that this is you and your boat... Look how the stern is squatting...that boat is at hull speed... trying to faster than hull speed actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Came across this video today. It's video of a Tanzer 7.5 trying to go out Deception Pass against a flood tide. I had to look at the date of the video to make sure the knucklehead in the boat wasn't me, because our second boat was a Tanzer with the same window configuration and I used to do dumb stuff like that when gas was cheap and time was short.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-12-2008
Last Man Standing

Dude needs a lighter dinghy. I mean even I can see that.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-12-2008
Courtney the Dancer

Impressive video Ray, was that your folks taking the pics. Oh wait, you said it wasn't you in the Tanzer. Bet it was pretty fun though.

John

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #6 of 15 Old 12-12-2008
Just another Moderator

Quite the ride... when you get bored with that, Ray, come up and try Egmont's Skookumchuk narrows... oh - sorry - right - not you.....

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 15 Old 12-12-2008 Thread Starter

I'm not sure I would come through with clean underwear after going through Skookumchuk. We've hiked in to the narrows a couple of times to watch it run on spring tides. Very impressive.

Capt Vancouver took his boat through the passes north of Desolation Sound. My folks had a chart book that had notes in the margins from Vancouver's log. One of the entries was from the boat going through Seymore or one of the other narrows and their boat spun around three times and the crew cheered after going through.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

post #8 of 15 Old 12-12-2008
Tartan 37C

That certainly looks to be quite the wild ride!

SOLARE
T-37 #442
post #9 of 15 Old 12-12-2008 Thread Starter

That's a cool screen snapshot. I haven't figured out how to do that yet with the software I use, Capn Voyager. Cool!

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

post #10 of 15 Old 12-12-2008

All right....

Now, I've always been a Deception Pass chicken, and always navigated it near slack...

And then I ran into this guy whilst anchored off Hope Island, who had a boat that looked EXACTLY like yours, had the same name, and even looked like you

And he said: "I go through Deception Pass any time as long as the current is going my way"

And I said: "Yeah, sure, but what I'm afraid of is getting hit by another boater, who doesn't have steerage, or getting whacked on the hull or propeller by a deadhead"

And he said, basically: "Quit being a wimp. It's not that big of a deal. As long as you have the current at you back, it will spit you right through"

And so, based on the stranger's advice, I have now transited Deception Pass with 5 knot and 7 knot currents at my back. No big deal.

And so.. What I'm getting around to is that video. That looks hairy. Even with the current at my back. And I know that videos make waves look smaller.

But that looks crazy to me. It must been taken during a Spring tide. It's really moving....

Would you/he still go through Deception Pass with it moving that fast?

David.

Oh, and JRP, Mr. Moderator sir? Next time you show up at Deception Pass, it better be on one of your Sailnetter minions' boat!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 12-12-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: correct plural posessive punctuation

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.