SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   My Boat Is Sinking............... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/49689-my-boat-sinking.html)

KODAD 12-13-2008 04:03 PM

My Boat Is Sinking...............

This is purely hypothetical:
I'm 100 miles off-shore, in a perfectly outfitted boat that is in perfect condition, with an expertly trained, experienced crew of 3 people. A freak gale pops up out of nowhere, no warning, as we have been monitoring our weather reports constantly. Suddenly we crash into a submerged cargo container at the exact moment a lightning bolt strikes our mast and brings down our rigging. Our hull is breached from the cargo container and a pod of whales is compounding the damage by ramming us repeatedly. We decide to abandon ship on our perfectly provisioned life-raft. We have food, water, satellite phone, VHF, Epirbs, first aid kit and an i-pod. We radioed a pan-pan to let anyone know our predicament. We feel relatively safe in our life-boat despite 30ft. seas and 60mph winds.
Do we activate our epirbs immediately or do we wait until conditions to calm down so that SAR do not have to be deployed in extreme and dangerous conditions?

Mikelivingstone 12-13-2008 04:09 PM

I would wait until the I-pod batteries run out. :laugher :laugher

Not really, I think I would activate before even considering to abandon ship.

Mike

Omatako 12-13-2008 04:11 PM

The moment you make the decision to step into the life raft is the time to activate because at that time your chances of survival are significantly reduced.

Giulietta 12-13-2008 04:16 PM

Wake up man....don't smell the glue...really...

bubb2 12-13-2008 04:17 PM

was your pan-pan call answered? The reason I say that is the CG will usually check with a vessel on a schedule who has make a pan-pan and if they don't hear back then they will start the search when they feel safe doing so. If not, Then is your call on the Epirb skipper!!!!

sailaway21 12-13-2008 04:18 PM

Which of the described events gave you an indication that there might be a problem?

ckgreenman 12-13-2008 04:21 PM

I'd have to agree with Omatako. The minute you decide to abandon ship it when you activate it.

KODAD 12-13-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailaway21 (Post 416498)
Which of the described events gave you an indication that there might be a probliem?

I think the whales got us thinking..............

ckgreenman 12-13-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailaway21 (Post 416498)
Which of the described events gave you an indication that there might be a problem?

The fact that the life raft was better provisioned than the boat :laugher

JHJensen 12-13-2008 04:55 PM

Pan Pan

Quote:

Originally Posted by KODAD (Post 416480)
This is purely hypothetical:
I'm 100 miles off-shore, in a perfectly outfitted boat that is in perfect condition, with an expertly trained, experienced crew of 3 people. A freak gale pops up out of nowhere, no warning, as we have been monitoring our weather reports constantly. Suddenly we crash into a submerged cargo container at the exact moment a lightning bolt strikes our mast and brings down our rigging. Our hull is breached from the cargo container and a pod of whales is compounding the damage by ramming us repeatedly. We decide to abandon ship on our perfectly provisioned life-raft. We have food, water, satellite phone, VHF, Epirbs, first aid kit and an i-pod. We radioed a pan-pan to let anyone know our predicament. We feel relatively safe in our life-boat despite 30ft. seas and 60mph winds.
Do we activate our epirbs immediately or do we wait until conditions to calm down so that SAR do not have to be deployed in extreme and dangerous conditions?

You should have put out a mayday when your vessel was going to be lost not a Pan Pan. And yes you do acitivate your epirb when you decided to leave the vessel. You can call the SAR folks (USCG in this case) and advise them of your condition after deploying and boarding the liferaft. You job is not to run the SAR.. let them decide what conditions they can launch in.. that is their business. Your only job is to look after your people and give the SAR folks all the information they need.

John