Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I have experienced a BFS

Last summer. I was single handing my new to me 15 foot dingy for the first time on a 4 mile wide lake with 15 knots true, gusting to 16. I had the main reefed. Waves were 6-8" with the odd rougue from passing powerboats (4 MPH speed limit). I saw some whitecaps! Let me tell you it was about all I could handle...

I guess my point is BFS is all relative.

Eric

Last edited by AllThumbs; 12-15-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I've always stated that.
Old 12-15-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Well I found that you can get more out of a boat when sailing with a reefed main and a genoa instead of a full main and a smaller jib. But you still need to be looking for wind shifts and gusts.

Oopises!! another knock down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 12-15-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
If it even approaches 20kts and 2ft on the Bay that's BFS enough!!
Old 12-15-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
Last summer. I was single handing my new to me 15 foot dingy for the first time on a 4 mile wide lake with 15 knots true, gusting to 16. I had the main reefed. Waves were 6-8" with the odd rougue from passing powerboats (4 MPH speed limit). I saw some whitecaps! Let me tell you it was about all I could handle...

I guess my point is BFS is all relative.

Eric
Eric - nice post. And you're right, the relative aspect of BFS has been there from the beginning. I bet you can now appreciate Fred's stuff a bit more now, eh?
Old 12-15-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Just remember: The size of the seas are inverse to the size of your vessel.

Or in other words; The smaller the boat the bigger the seas appear to be.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 12-16-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Ahhh, lake sailing. That brings me back to when I first learned to actually get a windsurfer to come about into the wind.
It was on a small dammed lake in upstate NY near Ithaca which SUNY Binghamton owned in some fashion and was run as a sort of 'hippie' retreat in those days (aka, clothing optional). My local friends had some connection with the USVI and had an early model windsurfer which they brought up to 'the lake' and I persevered as best I could with the limited breeze and actually learned to get around the mast while pushing with my feet on the board and actually not fall into the fairly clean water. Of course it was summer and there were about a hundred other naked people around me on shore but for some reason I was concerned with keeping my balls dry and getting back to shore while making it seem easy (seemed to work well for me in those days). There is little else that compares to standing on a windsurfer while naked.
Winds: < 5
Waves: nada

One of my next interludes with a windsurfer came at a beach on LI's north shore where I watched in envy as those toned bodies hung onto their booms at 45 degrees to the water and were speeding along the waters surface in the 15 knot winds. I persuaded a good looking female windsurfer to let me try her board out (this time wearing a swim suit) and I was able to get up right away and sail off shore about 3 or 4 hundred yards before I tried my old tried and true tacking, or coming about on a windsurfer. Because of the increased fetch and wind or the increased amount of clothing I was wearing I could not get the board to easily handle the waves without me falling off. I can't remember how many times I raised the mast and sail out of the water but by the time I eventually got back to shore the good looking windsurfer donor was not so pleased and I was totally exhausted and glad to be ashore with or without admiring eyes.

My last sailboat outing on the LI Sound was in a 50' Bendytoe when there were gusts up to 50 knots and we motored the 12 or so miles from Port Jeff to Hempstead Harbor (where I borrowed that windsurfer many years ago). I could not conceive of going out in most of the sailing craft I had ever been on in those seas of 4' - 6', much less a windsurfer. It was tough enough just motoring this large yacht with the waves beam on to get into my old sailing grounds.

BFS? There is always another plateau.
There is always a bigger lake.

Keep at it AllThumbs, if that is you real name!
CalebD

Everybody has one:

Old 12-16-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
BFS is where you come back to the dock exhilirated and with a grin a mile wide no?