Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Carrying over from the whale topic In the Heart of the Sea tells the story of a young boy from Nantucket who sails on the Essex on its last voyage and tells the story of survival probably my 2nd favorite.
Old 12-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, the doomed whaling ship Essex was likely the inspiration for Moby Dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
Carrying over from the whale topic In the Heart of the Sea tells the story of a young boy from Nantucket who sails on the Essex on its last voyage and tells the story of survival probably my 2nd favorite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2008

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
I recommend a couple by William F. Buckley: Airborne and Racing Through Paradise. Neither is still in print, but I found mine through Amazon.com. The first covers an Atantic crossing and the second a Pacific crossing.

The books are a good read, amusing and provide insights into his personal life and family relationships. He was an avid sailor and an amazing man even if you didn't agree with his politics.

These are on my read more than once list.
Old 12-17-2008
SY Valkyrja

ohaavik is on a distinguished road
"Two Years Before The Mast" by Richard Henry Dana (got it from iTunes store - the ultimate in lazy...)

"The Lonely Sea and the Sky" and "Gipsy Moth Circles the World" by Sir Francis Chichester who was first around West to East with one stop of which "A Voyage..." speaks.

"Cape Horn: The Logical Route" by Bernard Moitessier. About his honeymoon onboard Joshua which he later entered in the first solo round the world race (and Sir Robin Knox-Johnston won as Moitessier abandoned the race after closing the circumnavigation and eventually ended up in Tahiti).

"A World of My Own" by said Sir Robin, his account of the first non-stop race.

Lots of Europeans on my list and excepting Dana, no Americans...any good recommendations I may have missed? Slocum, Twain, London...yes, but anything since, say, 1950?
Old 12-17-2008

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
All good suggestions, but for something a little bit different, the British dvd "DEEP WATER", a documentary about Donald Crowhurst and his failed attempt to win the first around the world race solo and nonstop. Also on the disc, interviews with other competitors, Robin Knox Johnson, Chay Blythe, Commander Bill King, the late Bernard Moitessier's widow, the Crowhurst family as well as journalists who were involved and promoted the race originally. All true and very moving, especially enjoyed the interviews with some of my heroes from the 60's. HMV in Canada didn't know what it was, but Amazon has it.
Also there is a "sticky" on this forum "recommended reading" with hundreds of other ideas.
Old 12-17-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The Long Way, by Bernard Moitessier

Because the Horn is There or Once is Enough by Miles Smeaton
Old 12-17-2008
C&C Redwing 30'

HarbourBoy is on a distinguished road
I second Valiente's nominatoin of The Long Way by Moitessier. I posted earlier that A Voyage for Madmen was a good read. The Long Way is about the same race told from the point of view of one of the racers. Both books are great ... but very different. I'd recommend reading A Voage for Madmen first because it gives the big picture.
Old 12-17-2008

jackdale will become famous soon enough
For the women

First Lady, Kay Cottee - The first woman to sail single-handed, non-stop, unassisted around the world. Excellent read.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-18-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Here's a few I've read recently and can recommend:

"At the Mercy of the Sea" by J. Kretschmer - The true story of a hurricane in the Caribbean that doomer three small sailing vessels.

"Blue Latittudes" by Tony Horwitcz - An excellent account of the voyages of Captain Cook.

Old 12-22-2008

tlkenyon is on a distinguished road
The best book out there for real sailors is Heavy Weather Sailing by Adlard Coles...it is a real classic and a good guide to heavy weather tactics...