Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008
Banned

WaterView is on a distinguished road
Books on Sailing

I'm looking for a real life sailing book as a gift for Christmas. Something along the lines of Dove or Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi. I'm not looking for a how-to book, more like real life adventure, sailing around the world, or quitting your job and sailing the islands. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
North to the night is about spending the whole winte on a sailboat frozen in the ice, Fastnet force 10 about fastnet race tragedy, Endless Sea-circumnavigation of Antarctica with some sort of rig with no shrouds just a mast and a boom that goes through the mast to the jib is anyone could name that rig it would be great. thats all i have right now...My favorite is North to the Night but its majiority of being frozen in the ice.
Old 12-15-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
North to the night is about spending the whole winte on a sailboat frozen in the ice, Fastnet force 10 about fastnet race tragedy, Endless Sea-circumnavigation of Antarctica with some sort of rig with no shrouds just a mast and a boom that goes through the mast to the jib is anyone could name that rig it would be great. thats all i have right now...My favorite is North to the Night but its majiority of being frozen in the ice.
I'm going to order your favorites too Mister W
Old 12-15-2008

When you have to read 1000 pages a quarter for school you get a lot of books read these are just a few of my nautical collection but the rest are either commercial fishing or old stories like moby dick. One that just popped into my mind was the Ship and the Storm about a windjammer barefoot cruises tall ship that was mysteriously sunken of the coast of guatemala and the story is about the events leading up to it and how the company was run which is a disgrace.
Old 12-15-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
If you haven't already READ "DESPERATE VOYAGE"! This was recommended to me by CharlieC and it is one of the best reads yet. "Proving Ground" is another great one.
Old 12-15-2008

And Fatal Storm about a guy involved in the infamous Fastnet race who was also in the sydney hobart storm.
Old 12-15-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
The Tristan Jones series are a fun read. The stories are related as true but a researcher after Tristan's death wrote a book about how the real story was in some ways more interesting than what was written by Tristan.
Fun escape reads however.

Farley Mowat 'The boat who wouldn't float" Fun read
Jan Groot "No Shoes Allowed" plus other titles is a must read.
Old 12-15-2008
C&C Redwing 30'

HarbourBoy is on a distinguished road
A Voyage For Madmen by Peter Nichols. It's the story of the race to be the first solo-non stop circumnavigator. Even if you know nothing about sailing it's a great adventure story that you can't put down.
Old 12-16-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Last season The Admiral and I started working up to cruising by over-nighting on Abracadabra at her slip. What do you do when it gets dark, you're still wide awake and there's no TV? Well, one thing you can do is read a book. We're both avid readers. I chose Blown Away, by Herb Payson, from our sail club's small library. I found it an enjoyable and fascinating read. It is, btw, exactly a story about quitting your job and cruising the islands

Here's the Amazon link: Amazon.com: Blown Away: Herb Payson: Books

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 12-16-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added add'l note about book's subject
Old 12-16-2008

DBboat is on a distinguished road
I read a book that I believe was titled 'My Old Man and the Sea' that was co-wrote by a father and son. It was about them sailing a small boat around Cape Horn I believe. sorry its been a long time since I read it.