Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Another East Coast Rescue- Moonshine

Off Block Island in a snow storm!

BOSTON - The Coast Guard rescued four people aboard a storm-ravaged sailboat Friday, about 7 miles south of Block Island, R.I. The crew of the 45-foot Moonshine left East Greenwich, R.I., Friday morning, bound for Puerto Rico, when they were caught in an offshore storm, which ripped their sails and disabled their propulsion. They activated their emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB). The Coast Guard received the signal and tracked their position.
The First District Command Center in Boston, launched a 47-foot motor lifeboat crew from Station Point Judith, R.I. and a helicopter crew from Air Station Cape Cod. Both crews arrived at about 1 a.m., at the last position the EPIRB indicated, but because of the 30-40 knot winds, the sailboat was drifting out of position faster than the beacon could transmit. Visibility was less than one mile, and the seas were 8-12 feet.
The crew of the Moonshine shot off a flare, and the rescue crews located the disabled sailboat and determined no one was injured.
The motor lifeboat crew took the Moonshine in tow. After a nearly seven-hour transit, they arrived near Montauk, N.Y., and transferred the tow to a Station Montauk lifeboat crew who took the Moonshine and crew safely to Montauk at about 9 a.m., today.
“If they didn’t have the EPIRB or flares, it would have been extremely hard to find them out there in the snow,” said Lt. j.g. Ben O’Loughlin, the watchstander at the command center in Boston.
Air temperature was 39 degrees and the water, 42 degrees.

CapeCodToday Blog Chowder
Old 12-20-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Cam,

That looks like a cutter rig. Why would they have both forward sails up in that wind?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
the genoa could have come unraveled in the wind
Old 12-20-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Again, what were they thinking? Winter storm warning went up Thur night and they started out Friday morning.

Last edited by bubb2; 12-20-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2008

steelboat is on a distinguished road
Got to agree, what could they possibly have been thinking? I live south of Boston; we've known since at least last Wednesday that a winter storm was going to hit us around mid day Friday, and it did... was down at the harbor at 4 pm yesterday, 30 knot gusts and vis about 100 yards in blowing snow... we looked at the water and I said to my wife "sure am glad we're not out there now". What were they thinking? Bob S/V Restless
Old 12-20-2008

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
The Lord generally protects fools and small children. I guess this also holds for foolish sailors. Wanna bet they had a schedule to meet?

The two most important lessons I have learned since I started cruising are:

1. Pay attention to the weather. If conditions don't look right, stay where you are until they look better.

2. Don't put yourself on a schedule. If you have to ask "why not", you shouldn't be cruising.

Another potential tragedy at sea that could have been avoided. Thank you USCG!
Old 12-20-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey, let's go sailing!

Hey Everyone,

Let's go sailing! Just because it's December in the North East, and the temperature is below freezing and the wind is in the 30's and there is a storm here and it's blowing snow and ice and freezing rain, it will be fun!

For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would willingly leave the dock in this weather. Maybe if you were in a 100' powerboat with a full crew, the trip would be just uncomfortable, but leaving in a 45' sailboat is just pure stupidity.

I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I would really like to ask the skipper what he thought would happen when he left the dock.

Some people!

Barry

Old 12-20-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Hoo boy! Sounds like fun (Not)!
They are so lucky that the coasties were able to save their silly a$$es AND tow their sailboat back into Montauk with all that canvas flogging itself to death.
Perhaps they will try again in a month or so once the boat has new sails or perhaps they will hire a delivery captain.
I'm not sure why they did not come through the East River where they would have had at least a few places to hide if needs be. Most likely as others have suggested they wanted to make Bermuda by such and such. We will have to wait and see if more light can be shed on what they were thinking and why.
Thanks for the alert George.

Everybody has one:

Old 12-20-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ya know - not that I'm keeping track or anything...but why do all these rescue stories keep coming from the Easties?
Old 12-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Ya know - not that I'm keeping track or anything...but why do all these rescue stories keep coming from the Easties?

I think mainly because of the allure of the Caribbean...many more sail down south to the caribbean (in the East), than on the West coast to Mexico.

Just what I thought