Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Oregon Inlet Rescue Today

This was happening on the VHF as I listened. Tough conditions. She had lots of water in the engine room and was in real trouble.The Coasties put de-watering pumps aboard to get her back afloat and keep her from continuing to pound on the bottom. Their 12ft. draft made the inlet impossible under even good circumstances given the recent shoaling.
ATLANTIC BEACH, NC - Coast Guard 47-foot Motor lifeboat crews from Station Oregon Inlet, N.C., assisted a 77-foot fishing vessel that ran aground and began taking on water near Oregon Inlet Channel Inlet buoy #3, Monday. Radio watchstanders at Coast Guard Station Oregon Inlet received a call from the crew of the Bald Eagle II at approximately 10:45 a.m. stating that that their sister ship, U-Boys had gone aground near the #3 buoy in the Oregon Inlet Channel with six people onboard and needed assistance.
Station Oregon Inlet dispatched two rescue crews to the scene. After the crew of the U-Boys re-floated the vessel a Coast Guard engineer transferred aboard the fishing vessel and assisted the crew de-water the vessel.
“This scenario is something that we train for at the coxswain and boat crew level, but we don’t encounter it very often,” said Master Chief Petty Officer Lars Kent, Station Oregon Inlet’s officer in charge.
“We have an extremely knowledgeable and professional crew here at Oregon Inlet. Our constant training allows them to step up and meet the many unique challenges that they encounter,” said Kent.
Due to insufficient draft at Oregon Inlet the crew of the U-Boys is currently en route to Portsmouth, Va.
Here's a pic my buddy took. She was rolling from side to side so much that both outrigger tips were in the water on the rolls.
Oregon Inlet Rescue Today-u-boys-034.jpg

Last edited by camaraderie; 12-22-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
That shrimper has a 12-foot draft? Sweet sassymolassy...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yep...heard the Capn' say it to the CG myself. All the big fishing boats have been coming in at Beaufort due to the shoaling at Oregon. Don't know why he decided to attempt it in the conditions you see there today and without asking for local knowledge. So he is headed to the Chessie. Can't get to NC on the ICW with that draft so I'm guessin there will be cheap shrimp in Norfolk tomorrow!