Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Is "Not Sailing" the GREATEST Sin of Sailing?
Yes-- get the boat out there no matter what. 22 52.38%
No-- other mistakes or mis-judgements are worse. 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I find the question about whether working on your boat counts as sailing time (in the context of this thread) an intriguing one. As with most things in life, the answer is probably shades of grey, rather than black or white. I've seen some boats well-maintained for years and years, but they never leave the slip, nor will they ever. The project has become the end in itself, and there's always something else "to get done". This may be a little sad from my perspective for the boat, but it may be very rewarding for the owner. And if the boat's not neglected, well, who am I to judge?

Other owners may be spending most of their time working on the boat, but the boat may genuinely need that work, and as time goes by, they will spend more and more of that time out on the water as the boat projects become fewer. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Of course, it's easier with clear cases of neglected versus well-cared for and often-sailed boats, but many (if not most) owners are probably somewhere in between those two extremes. Just my two cents of course...
-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2008

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
This is not an unusual observation. A lot of club champs have grubby sails and dirty boats...with pristine bottoms, mind you!

The sails are grubby because they are good but well-used and will be chucked after three seasons. The boats are grubby because the crew comes directly from work in street shoes in order to get out before sunset for as much practice as possible.

Is it any wonder the "beat up, disheveled" boats win?
I see that quite a bit. The bulk of the maintenance is focused on the rig and the bottom, while things like woodwork, and polishing are neglected. Plus some of them go to the extreme of removing the head and the water system.

As for the rest of this thread, there are really three distinct groups.
Boats that are sailed.
Boats that are worked on and/or visited, but never sailed.
Boats that are neither sailed or visited.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I vote no. I don't really get the obsession some folks seem to have with what other people do. I sail my boat when I can. I sail more than some, less than others, but so what? I don't feel superior to the folks that sail less than me and could care less if those that sail more than me think that somehow makes them special.

I own my sailboat for my personal enjoyment and that means using it as I see fit without worrying about what others think about it and I don't worry myself about how others use their boats. There are those at my marina that I often see on their boats, but have never seen away from the dock, but I just don't get wrapped up in their motivations. They do their thing and I do mine.
Old 12-26-2008

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I try to sail every week, may through october, and every month november through april. Forty or more sails is a good year. The last couple have been leaner, with no boat in the water. I've trailered to stay alive.
Old 12-26-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd guess that the overall average number of days on the water is probably around 25-30. And that those of us getting 75+ are dragging those stats up from those getting 0-5.

While I do feel it's wasteful and unfair to the boat, really, to let it sit unused that by itself doesn't constitute abuse. Plenty of liveaboards seem so "connected" to the dock that they rarely leave, but again, mostly their boats are well cared for.

Willful neglect would be my pick for the "greatest sin"....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-27-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
I don't sail as much as I'd like to sail, but I've worked out this accommodation: every Wednesday after work is my "boat time." I've been doing this since I joined the Baltimore Downtown Sailing Center, and their "open sails" (just show up and get on a boat and sail until dusk) were on Wednesdays. Now that I have my own boat and don't do the open sails any more, that's still my "official" time. My nephew usually comes with me and we take her out until dusk and bring her back in under lights.

I also try to get at least two outings a month on weekends with whatever family I can get to come with me. My oldest was joking with me that "there's always some kind of disaster when we go out," to which I responded, "Yeah, but we've always got back in, haven't we?"

I'm guessing he's talking about the time I changed the impeller in the Atomic 4 and ran into the rare problem of a new impeller in an old pump not performing as well, so that when we were running at low speed while taking the sails down to motor into another creek, the engine starting running hot, and not realizing that merely running at full rpm would have put enough water through the system to cool the engine, I shut it off. Then while re-raising the sails the genny caught on something and tore badly, while a batten in the main managed to break in half and then come out of its sleeve and catch on one of the shrouds so that we nearly tore the main as well. (Managed to prevent that.) So, being afraid that the engine would burn up if we tried to use it we sailed back into Rock Creek without power and they didn't even appreciate my mad skilz that let us sail the ol' girl right into the slip without needing the engine.

Of course, he might also have been talking about the time he and I were sailing, and his noodle-arms didn't have the strength to pull in the main for a gibe in 15 kt winds, and while I was boggling at this fact the wind shifted and we crash-gibed and tore the boom right off the traveler, so that we had to come up and drop the main so that I could lash it down, and we sailed home under jib alone -- which impressed him as to how much speed we could make under just the jib. The A4 was working just fine by that time, and we motored into the slip just fine -- however, the wind blew us back out of the slip before I could get a line on her, and a momentary lapse of reason on my part left me on the dock watching my son on the boat get blown into the boats on the next slip, and my shouted instructions to him about how to get the boat in gear and drive her back in resulted in him stalling the engine out, so that I had to sprint down my dock and up the other so that I could climb across the boats on that side and fend him off, then jump back on board and fire up the engine and drive her back over to the slip and get her tied up.

Then again, maybe he's referring to the time when my middle son and I were coming back from the Inner Harbor, where I showed him the Francis Scott Key buoy, and as we were motorsailing at about 7 kts we started bumping on the bottom near the south shore of the Patapsco River, seconds before running plumb onto a mudbank at full speed, which nearly threw us both into the cabin from the cockpit, and stalled the engine as well. I think that was due to us falling into the shifter. Anyway, we fired it right back up, backed off the bar and motored back to the slip with no further problem.

I mean, really. Stuff like this happens all the time, right? Listening to them you'd think there was something risky about going out with the old man.

Sheesh.
All of this counts as DOUBLE sailing time....!!! Great Stuff!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
Old 12-27-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
the alternative to not sailing much is not owning a boat at all!
Thank all those who buy nice shiny new boats and then sell them years later at greatly reduced prices!
They are keeping people employed. They are keeping West Marine in business. They are keeping the marina near capacity which holds down rates. And if they never go out, they are never in the way.
It's all good.
Old 12-27-2008

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
I think the most unsailed boats out there that could be sailed are in the Chesapeake Bay. Being from New England, I use to sail from Memorial Day to Veterans Day. Now the boat comes out only for one week in July to get ready for Governor's Cup and is sailed all year when the weather is above 45 which it will be today. We were out three weeks ago for a beautiful sail up the South River and back (sailing all the time) and we're going out today after doing a small project. I am sure pulling boats out for the "winter" makes boat yards happy, but it is absolutely not necessary in this area. We've been moored at Hartge's for 6-7 years now and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

Moe
1967 S&S Apache 37 Sloop
Picasa Web Albums - Moe - Sailing
Old 12-27-2008

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Of course, this isn't limited to just sailing.
There are hunters and fisherman who only go out on opening day.
There are baseball season ticket holders who don't go to many games.
There are skiers who rarely ski, despite owning a ski house and lots of expensive equipment.
Many homes during the McMansion craze, have elaborate kitchens with stainless steel ranges and subzero appliances, even though nobody in the house can cook.
And plenty of swimming pools are built and maintained despite their lack of use.

I could go on and on.

Old 12-27-2008

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
I voted yes but I need to clarify. I work on my boat a lot more than I sail it but it is all done in the interest of keeping the boat prepaired and shipshape (see my post under Bonehead Mistakes to understand my obsession). There are way too many calls to Vessel Assist in a typical weekend in my area. So there are definately bigger sins than not going out at all. I think toolbox time spent with the goal of getting the boat out of the slip is noble and should count.

On the other hand, I have slipmates who also work on their boats nearly every weekend but they never seem to make any progress, or start another project as soon as the first is finished. So I guess not all toolbox time should count.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.