Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Is "Not Sailing" the GREATEST Sin of Sailing?
Yes-- get the boat out there no matter what. 22 52.38%
No-- other mistakes or mis-judgements are worse. 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
The GREATEST Sin?

I was talking with the wife of a life-long sailor some time ago. He's a friend with more miles and more years on boats than I will ever have. She shared with me the one thing she was completely sick of.

"The one thing he won't stop talking about is how sailboats aren't sailed. He's constantly complaining about how people buy beautiful sailboats, and then they sit in their slips or at their moorings and rot. Old boats, new boats, it doesn't matter. They don't go out, and it pisses him off."

I've pondered that comment for a few months, and now I wonder. Is the greatest sin of sailing simply not sailing? I mean, we can all make mistakes of seamanship, or ding other boats, or run up on a shoal and have to call for help, but does all that typically pale compared to the "greatest sin," which is simply not sailing and not learning and not moving forward? Basically, neglecting the boat yet not letting another take it on. Or worse still, spending all one's time thinking or researching or chatting, instead of doing?

I had another friend who "crewed" for wealthy new boat owners. They could afford 44 foot plus boats, but were pretty much psyched-out when it came to sailing them. The idea of scratching the gleaming topsides was too much, so it was best to keep them tied up and polished as often as possible

Anyway, that's the poll. Along the same lines, I have a modest proposal. Could we have a suggested ratio here of 20:1? Basically, for every 20 posts about stainless anchor couplers, or sailors being rescued, or old shoes, or off-topic rants, could we have have one post about an actual recent sail by the member? It's just a suggestion...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jim H; 12-23-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2008

Skipper519 is on a distinguished road
Sail time

Jim,
A question - does time spent on the boat working on it count as sail time. I currently have a 3 or 4:1 ratio of work time on the boat versus sail time. But then since I bought a fixer-upper I knew the boat required this commitment. As for total time on the boat I have a rule to get to the boat at least once a month; I live 4 hours (260 miles) away and with family and work obligations that is all I can manage currently. After retirement, a few years away, I hope will be a different story.
34'
Old 12-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper519 View Post
Jim,
A question - does time spent on the boat working on it count as sail time.
That's a great question. I believe it was Don Casey who wrote about how working on boats can be an entirely rewarding activity within itself. I'd like to punt on your question, since I don't consider boats being actively worked on as neglected boats. It can take years to restore or build a boat, and that's all part of the learning and enjoyment curve. More power to you! Others go for boats that are ready-to-sail, and enjoy them as well.

I think the "sin" part I'm getting at is neglected boats, new or old, that aren't touched (work needed or no). So, working on a boat isn't sailing, but it's part of the curve, and it is fine by me. In the end, I hope your boat brings you all the enjoyment you hope for.

Old 12-23-2008

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Yes but........

Does spending a week being paid to bring another MANS boat down the lake and the next summer season teaching him to sail and also having the access to said boat for my family and my toolbox count?Where do i put access into the situation? Does TOOBOX time go count as SAILING TIME?
My Question
mark
Old 12-23-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
You cant worry about what others do. You have no control or responsibility. If they want to stay tied to a post and they are happy with that, then they are happy and not in your way. You are happy and you want others to enjoy the same as you. Yes they are missing out, but it would be a sin for you to let that bother you.
As you sail past them, do as the penguins of Madagascar fame,
Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave!
Old 12-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
Does spending a week being paid to bring another MANS boat down the lake and the next summer season teaching him to sail and also having the access to said boat for my family and my toolbox count?
Why not? In some ways, it's a paradox is that people who really enjoy OPBs (other people's boats) may be the most intense sailors.

If I'm not mistaken, William Garden boat designs lead to thousands of boats. His largest were up to 231 feet in length. His personal boat, however, was less than 30 feet. He was looking for something more personal when sailing-- something closer to the water.

Now, that doesn't mean that a larger boat can't be fully enjoyed, of course... Ownership isn't the main thing, though.

Old 12-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave!
I agree, but I think my friend was sad about the lost potential of the boats that weren't even visited anymore. The potential is there, but not utilized, not even as a deck chair. Better still, with a sail.

I wonder where your handle "Badsanta" came from...

Old 12-23-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I understand completely. I dont use mine anywhere near what I had planed too. Life and responsibilities get in the way. OK, I know..... yeah just slip the ropes as the tide ebbs away...... nice thought. OK my freaking lunch break is over and I have to get back to the photo ops and the rug rats.
Oh yeah, Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2008
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
While sad that so many boats sit idle...can you imagine if the majority of those were out sailing on the same day(s) you are out there?

Let em sit...

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 12-23-2008

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Why not? In some ways, it's a paradox is that people who really enjoy OPBs (other people's boats) may be the most intense sailors.

If I'm not mistaken, William Garden boat designs lead to thousands of boats. His largest were up to 231 feet in length. His personal boat, however, was less than 30 feet. He was looking for something more personal when sailing-- something closer to the water.

Now, that doesn't mean that a larger boat can't be fully enjoyed, of course... Ownership isn't the main thing, though.
OPD's,
Laughing...i needed that.Never saw the short for it.Sad fact if i wasnt working and sailing it it would of ben a CHICK MAGNET and never sailed..but we enjoyed it...

So i now officially LOG my TOOL BOX TIME
Mark