Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
so guys i need a boat what should i get ive looked through everything and i cant get an answer thats all i can tell you right now
Old 12-29-2008
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
so guys i need a boat what should i get ive looked through everything and i cant get an answer thats all i can tell you right now
I recommend a sailboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Saildoggie - your avatars rock, dude. Let's just start there. I took a look and there seemed to be some "inside joking" going on about your identity. Any idea what that was about?

David - I see you're getting the "gauntlet" welcome in your "annoys me" thread. Just compare what you're getting now to all the rigamarole in the other licensing thread and you'll be able to roll your eyes and laugh a bit more easily.

Pain - I'm ROTFCMEO.

US27 - it's good to hear that you received a warm welcome. Now had Dog disagreed with you, what do you think?

+++++++++++

24 hour summary (see if this jives with everyone else's experience):
-If Dog agrees with you, you're okay*
-It's good to start off by answering others' questions as best you can**
-It might be good to wait a few years before throwing up your first thread***
-Don't make Dog answer a question that's been asked 16M times****
-NEVER float an old thread*****
-Don't ask a stupid question - especially 16M times
-If you're going to start a crapstorm like Xort did, just make sure you have a Conky around to draw fire******
-Don't complain about stuff that the old guys around here have already complained about FOREVER
-Inside jokes and bashing can be pretty intimidating - but once you're in it's a good place to be*******

Fine print:
*If not then what?
**What if Dog disagrees with your answer?
***Is this place really that intimidating? Is this a good thing?
****How many times do you think the bowline knot has been taught to sailors throughout history? Is this really a valid complaint? How is a newbie making anyone do anything around here?
*****This means that no one should Google their item of interest, because that will inevitably bring up the exact info you're looking for in a Sailnet thread. You'll actually come to the site and read that thread, then join up to ask your question - only to get flamed for resurrecting an old thread like you should have known better (and probably for hitting the 16M mark on that particular question). You'll take the hint and leave. It's the classic trap - especially when taken in tandem with the 16M question rule. The Catch 22. Wait a minute - is this healthy for Sailnet?
******Don't get me started.
*******Is this true in most people's eyes?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-29-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
US27 - it's good to hear that you received a warm welcome. Now had Dog disagreed with you, what do you think?
I think he would have told me what he thought of my ideas, but likely would have been good about it. The reason I say that is because when I post an answer to someone's question, I word it like "this is what I've done" or "if it were mine I would do this". Also if I'm not very sure about what the correct and seaman-like answer should be, I read and learn instead of offering up my opinion of little value.

Quote:
+++++++++++

24 hour summary (see if this jives with everyone else's experience):
-If Dog agrees with you, you're okay*
It's not a requirement for being okay, but it helps.
Quote:
-It's good to start off by answering others' questions as best you can**
Even better than that, read and learn. Then when you have an answer that actually makes sense, offer it up.
Quote:
-It might be good to wait a few years before throwing up your first thread***
Not necessary, but if you do your homework there won't be many questions that the average newb couldn't get answered with Google.
Quote:
-Don't make Dog answer a question that's been asked 16M times****
See above.
Quote:
-NEVER float an old thread*****
Hell, I did that just a couple of months ago. I quickly replied to myself for being a dumbass that floated an old thread.
Quote:
-Don't ask a stupid question - especially 16M times
Again, do your own homework. No fair cheating off the old guys.
Quote:
-If you're going to start a crapstorm like Xort did, just make sure you have a Conky around to draw fire******
That's an excellent plan.
Quote:
-Don't complain about stuff that the old guys around here have already complained about FOREVER
A quick search will tell you that.
Quote:
-Inside jokes and bashing can be pretty intimidating - but once you're in it's a good place to be*******
It's good to be the king. Just ask dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 12-29-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
Yep, although in jest, that's probably a good example of why some members that have been with SailNet a long time chastise a newer member. They see those kinds of incomplete questions/statements quite a lot. It's like those mole looking critters that keep popping up out of their holes, and the player tries to pound it back into it's hole! Amusing, but it gets a little old after awhile. Hence the reprimands.

That said, I still think subtlety is a wonderful virtue, in most cases, when it comes to trying to help with or correct minor infractions. When it is done in a subtle and positive way, I've seen that most people respond in kind....some however, do not. Time for the ole mole bat!

Coming from a back round of too many days spent surfing, a slight case of dyslexia and generally having my head up and locked in my younger days, grammar and spelling is not exactly my forte. I did a lot of site lurking (as it seems many are doing) before my first post.

I think some lurkers and newbies (I still consider myself new to the site) feel somewhat intimidated by the vast amount of knowledge/education and experience of the membership here. So maybe some restraint should be exercised when trying to get information/explaination from a newbie. This may encourage the exchange and participation of all members and may attract new members as well.

I've found that this site has one of the most diverse memberships I've ever seen and it would be a shame to exclude ideas/knowledge of those who may feel somewhat intimidated by the more experienced to contribute because of the fear of a spelling, punctuation or grammatical error they may make. Hell, you wouldn't believe how LOOONG this took to post....between brain farts and looking up correct spelling, I need a NAP!! I do try.

SO WHAT if ya make an error, join in!! Share the knowledge and entertainment, yeah you may have to dodge the 'mole bat' on occassion, but it's only 1's and 0's!
Old 12-29-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
John, Looks like you been "around" LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 12-29-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I can only go back 500 posts so I cannot bring back my first ones. But I do not recall any sort of negative reaction to my first several postings. I did start the famous solar wind thread that got some heated responses directed to other posters. Whatever happened to conky?

I'll note this: "Ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid answer".
I dug up the first thread you started. Looking for a new boat that needed to meet some pretty specific requirements. No stupid questions, and no stupid answers. Other than needing to tow a tanker barge behind it of course.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...d-my-boat.html

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 12-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, Conky got hisself banned.. After threatening people and doing other unsocial things...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-29-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I know we all love to boast and prove who is right, But if the question bothers you, just move on. Some one else will answer it. If it is trivial and beneath you, just go to the next question. You dont need to answer them all.
Old 12-29-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
I dug up the first thread you started. Looking for a new boat that needed to meet some pretty specific requirements. No stupid questions, and no stupid answers. Other than needing to tow a tanker barge behind it of course.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...d-my-boat.html
Cool! I couldn't find that post.
I ended up getting a lot of what I wanted but definately not everything.
And no flaming replies! But I didn't mention Hunter.