SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The Immaculate Reception (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/50051-immaculate-reception-sailing-related.html)

smackdaddy 12-28-2008 10:39 PM

The Immaculate Reception (sailing related)

So, after seeing much recent hubbub surrounding the ill treatment of new posters (i.e. - newbies) by members of this fine forum, I thought it might be nice for all of us to open up a bit. Let's take this opportunity to "circle up and share our feelings" about how we each were treated on our first "date" with Sailnet.

Think back to when you finally filled in the membership form and, with trembling finger, punched that first post of yours through the fog of blather...then waited...patiently refreshing your browser until you saw that first reply. You swallowed hard, clicked, and...

How were your treated? And, just as importantly, why do think that was? I've seen phrases such as "firing squad", "beat down", and "bashfest". I think I might be seeing a pattern...but who knows?

The interesting question here, especially from the outsider's/newbie's perspective, is what kind of "community" is this Sailnet community? Is the good/bad reception site-wide? Or is it thread-specific?

I invite everyone - especially newbies (e.g. - members with fewer than 100 posts) - to dig out the very first post (or thread) you ever made to Sailnet. Link it here, and describe your ensuing "welcome".

This should be fun and educational!

PS - No "defending" herein by existing members. In this thread - you got no say. Each person should be free to post his/her Immaculate Reception without fear of retribution or crap-slinging. It was...as they say...what it was.

(I'll share mine a bit later.)

mrwuffles 12-28-2008 10:46 PM

Well I know I have a little bit more than a hundred posts but i figured id jump in.
I just got the normal welcome nothing special because my introduction wasnt too special. Having experience with forums I got what I expected, but sailnet like most forums ive seen have there own versions of Giulietta and Sailingdog and its honestly intimidating to see these guys joking around and almost feel out of the loop and not know what there talking about when making fun of eachother so then your thread sometimes gets hijacked by them bashing eachother but once your "in the club" it is a very good forum to be a member of.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introd...duce-self.html

sailaway21 12-28-2008 10:53 PM

Just another attempt to stir a pot that needs no stirring, eh, Smacky? The thread and the topic have been done before and, more appropriately, in Off
Topic as it's hardly sailing related. General Discussion is where people ask sailing related questions. It works out well that way.

poopdeckpappy 12-28-2008 11:05 PM

Immaculate Reception? is that like posting when you didn't even get to write something

bljones 12-28-2008 11:18 PM

At the risk of sounding like Confucius, an unstirred pot gets a burned bottom.

The way I see it, every contributor here has a role to play- some have questions, some have answers, some provide comedy relief, and some provide an occasional unsolicited reality check. All are necessary for any community to thrive.

After all, it takes a village...and every village needs an idiot.

blt2ski 12-28-2008 11:22 PM

I thought there was a village in texas missing its idiot!..........

Or is that an idiot missing its village in Texas!.......no, I am NOT refering to dad or cd!

anyway, do not recall to many welcomes like they give folks at SA, something to the effect of "FOffNewbie!"

Generally speaking, I think most folks here as newbies do pretty good, unless SD jumps on em for bringing up some post from 5 or 6 yrs ago, that is more SailNets fault for allowing that to happen.

Enjoy your day all.

marty

mrwuffles 12-28-2008 11:26 PM

isnt smack from texas?

sailingdog 12-28-2008 11:47 PM

do believe so....kinda the point I'm guessing.:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwuffles (Post 423761)
isnt smack from texas?

mrwuffles 12-28-2008 11:48 PM

O I thought he was referring to Bush....but then again hes goin home

smackdaddy 12-28-2008 11:50 PM

Ahhh...bljones...well put, my friend. Very philosophical. Now how about your own IR? You're still in the sweet spot ya know.

And wuffles - good job, dude! Way to lead the pack! I think your summation is pretty damn insightful. (BTW - yeah I'm in Texas).

There just might be a lot to learn here.