Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
The Immaculate Reception (sailing related)

So, after seeing much recent hubbub surrounding the ill treatment of new posters (i.e. - newbies) by members of this fine forum, I thought it might be nice for all of us to open up a bit. Let's take this opportunity to "circle up and share our feelings" about how we each were treated on our first "date" with Sailnet.

Think back to when you finally filled in the membership form and, with trembling finger, punched that first post of yours through the fog of blather...then waited...patiently refreshing your browser until you saw that first reply. You swallowed hard, clicked, and...

How were your treated? And, just as importantly, why do think that was? I've seen phrases such as "firing squad", "beat down", and "bashfest". I think I might be seeing a pattern...but who knows?

The interesting question here, especially from the outsider's/newbie's perspective, is what kind of "community" is this Sailnet community? Is the good/bad reception site-wide? Or is it thread-specific?

I invite everyone - especially newbies (e.g. - members with fewer than 100 posts) - to dig out the very first post (or thread) you ever made to Sailnet. Link it here, and describe your ensuing "welcome".

This should be fun and educational!

PS - No "defending" herein by existing members. In this thread - you got no say. Each person should be free to post his/her Immaculate Reception without fear of retribution or crap-slinging. It was...as they say...what it was.

(I'll share mine a bit later.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Well I know I have a little bit more than a hundred posts but i figured id jump in.
I just got the normal welcome nothing special because my introduction wasnt too special. Having experience with forums I got what I expected, but sailnet like most forums ive seen have there own versions of Giulietta and Sailingdog and its honestly intimidating to see these guys joking around and almost feel out of the loop and not know what there talking about when making fun of eachother so then your thread sometimes gets hijacked by them bashing eachother but once your "in the club" it is a very good forum to be a member of.
Newbie here just figured id introduce self
Old 12-28-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Just another attempt to stir a pot that needs no stirring, eh, Smacky? The thread and the topic have been done before and, more appropriately, in Off
Topic as it's hardly sailing related. General Discussion is where people ask sailing related questions. It works out well that way.
Old 12-28-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Immaculate Reception? is that like posting when you didn't even get to write something

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 12-28-2008

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
At the risk of sounding like Confucius, an unstirred pot gets a burned bottom.

The way I see it, every contributor here has a role to play- some have questions, some have answers, some provide comedy relief, and some provide an occasional unsolicited reality check. All are necessary for any community to thrive.

After all, it takes a village...and every village needs an idiot.
Old 12-28-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I thought there was a village in texas missing its idiot!..........

Or is that an idiot missing its village in Texas!.......no, I am NOT refering to dad or cd!

anyway, do not recall to many welcomes like they give folks at SA, something to the effect of "FOffNewbie!"

Generally speaking, I think most folks here as newbies do pretty good, unless SD jumps on em for bringing up some post from 5 or 6 yrs ago, that is more SailNets fault for allowing that to happen.

Enjoy your day all.

marty
Old 12-28-2008

isnt smack from texas?
Old 12-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
do believe so....kinda the point I'm guessing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
isnt smack from texas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-28-2008

O I thought he was referring to Bush....but then again hes goin home
Old 12-28-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ahhh...bljones...well put, my friend. Very philosophical. Now how about your own IR? You're still in the sweet spot ya know.

And wuffles - good job, dude! Way to lead the pack! I think your summation is pretty damn insightful. (BTW - yeah I'm in Texas).

There just might be a lot to learn here.