Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
A Big Diss from Sailing Anarchy!

From the front page of Sailing Anarchy this AM:

The Ignorant Dead: These sites once were something special. They started with good ideas, produced interesting content and grew, and then squandered everything by resisting change, being cheap as hell, run by dummies, or cashing out. Examples: Sailnet, Scuttlebutt
Old 12-29-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Much like the late, and unlamentted Surfy's Fight Club, it seems it's my way or nothing with them. Rather a strange position for a site using Anarchy in it's title.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Much like the late, and unlamentted Surfy's Fight Club, it seems it's my way or nothing with them. Rather a strange position for a site using Anarchy in it's title.
Don't let "Anarchists" fool you, they aren't. They want anarchy to reign so they can come in later and "clean up the mess".

In reality, they want to control everything and everyone.

They just want to get there a different way that certain other people want to get there.....

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 12-29-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
*shrug* I registered over there a month or so ago to keep an eye on the progress of their, or one of their members', investigation into Novis/Tartan. (It never appeared, btw.) I never really found much on the site, beyond the front page, all that interesting, and there's something about its forum software coding that seizes-up my archaic old browser at home, so...

If you're into racing, SA is probably The Place To Be. But for just general, all-around sailing, of which racing may be just a part, Sailnet is definitely far, far more useful, IMO.

I'm surprised whomever is in charge over there did or allowed that. Most responsible web forum operators tend to try to avoid cross-forum wars. Doesn't say much for them.

Jim
Old 12-29-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Scot Tempesta, the "Ed" of SA, certainly is obnoxious; it's OK to be proud and even boastful of your accomplishments, but that post was unbelievably self-serving and egotistical. SA is a remarkable site though.

For SailNet, I think they would do well to look into what truth lies in the attack though. There is very little new content here and the ads are more obnoxious than Scot Tempesta. I think this site desperately needs a focusing of its vision.

That said, this IS an awesome site. I just think it has not reached its potential.

Old 12-29-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
From the front page of Sailing Anarchy this AM:

The Ignorant Dead: These sites once were something special. They started with good ideas, produced interesting content and grew, and then squandered everything by resisting change, being cheap as hell, run by dummies, or cashing out. Examples: Sailnet, Scuttlebutt
I think there is some truth to this. When was the last time Sailnet or its owners contributed anything to this site? There was a time they actually posted articles, interviews, etc...
Old 12-29-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
While there is always room for improvement. the real question is whether people enjoy the site. For myself, I go to a number of different sites, because they all offer something a bit different than the others. Personally, I like having choices.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-29-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
It is my understanding that Advertising dollars on the web are charged back to the advertiser based on the number of hits the site gets. We all know that times are rough and AD dollars are drying up. Therefore Why not try to put something out, that my web site is better than your web site. So don't bother with the other guys web site as it is in my own best self interest.

Never Forgotten

Old 12-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While Sailnet's staff may not be contributing much to the forums, here, I would argue that they're still well and alive...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-29-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Who gives a rats a$$ what they say

Truth ??

They have approx 21,000 registered members, 1200 active

SN has over a 150,00 registered members and 42,000 active

There's the truth..........which leads to the question, and why is that ??

My Answer, Sailnet is a far better site

so they can blow me

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies