Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
It shouldn't be too hard to reconcile this philosophically. All boats and ships, regardless of their purpose, used to be racers. All of them were designed for a purpose and then designed to spend the minimum time at sea accomplishing it in the most productive way. No one designed something to be lived upon just for the living upon of it! (g)

This explains everything from the Australian wool clippers to the Down East fishing schooners, to the America, the SS United States, and today's high speed ferries.

We're a little confused today. We've passenger ships that go on cruises that amount to nothing more than heading out over the horizon and doing circles in the water. Likewise we have boats that are designed to sail as a secondary function. We're rightfully bored with both.

Back to the advert. game. You notice how no one advertises a "slow cruiser"? (g)
Old 12-30-2008

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
What two boats sailing within sight of each other are not racing?

In my opinion, I guess it depends on how competitive you are if you will be happy with the compromise. I am very competitive and like to go fast, but as long as there are other boats in a class that I could sail against head-to-head, I can be satisfied. I would get bored pretty quickly if I was only able to compete on corrected time.
Speed is relative and you don't have to be on a sport boat to feel the adrenaline rush from a close contest.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I am a cruiser and have never been in a race. But faster is always better than slower except near a dock or when trying to cook dinner.
Old 12-30-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Yes, you can be a cruiser and a racer. However there are some pit falls one needs to be aware of, like a BBQ on the stern rail. The racers will not take you serious. With out the BBQ the cruisers won't take you serious. Yes It can be confusing, like raising the yellow protest flag to a passing powerboat who forces you alter your course and then you realize your not racing.

Another one to watch out for is the urge to yell starboard tack to any sailboat with in 100 yards of you.

If you can keep these things in check you will be OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Another one to watch out for is the urge to yell starboard tack to any sailboat with in 100 yards of you.
I like to do this at the bar after a race. You'd be surprised at how well it works.
Old 12-30-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
"Two ships pass in the night, no one notices. Two ships pass in the day, it's a race."

Absolutly, you can do both. It really is a matter of degrees. Yes some boats are set-up to for one option or the other, but most of us have boats that were specificlly designed to ride the fence between the two modes of sailing.

Sometimes you have to make minor modifications to your cruising boat to race. There is a guy in our harbor that keeps his boat on a mooring. He occationally likes to join in the Saturday morning races. I regularly see him row out to his mooring and then off load 200 ft. of chain rode into his dingy before the start. Me, I keep a cardboard mock-up of a BBQ on the stern rail so I look like a cruiser, but without the weigt.
Old 12-30-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailChick20 View Post
While the racing bug has bitten me...I like to cruise just as much.
Dare I ask...Is it possible to love both?
I don't see why not--The Admiral and I do. In fact: It was a requirement on the part of The-Admiral-To-Be that whatever boat we bought be a performance boat. She didn't want to be sailing a "tub." We ended-up with a Pearson P30, described by Jack Horner as "...an attempt to meld the attributes of racing boats with those of family cruisers--sort of like rigging a mini-van to race at Indy." And, by all accounts, they succeeded. However: Such a boat is not going to be as fast as a pure race boat, nor as comfortable as a cruiser. Such is the way of compromises. Likewise: We'll probably never (attempt to) live on her for months at a time (we're still working up to a whole weekend), nor will we likely race the Mackinac with her. (Tho that latter is certainly easily w/in her capibilities.)

So, yes: You can love both, and you can have a boat that will do both "adequately," IMO. We have people in our club that do only one or the other, and others that do both.

Jim
Old 12-30-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
The perfect boat to do cruising and racing is of course the catamaran.

I'm perhaps somewhat biased on that, but which of you can top 10 knts in 15 kts of wind sailing single handed while your Admiral sleeps on a queen sized bed in a air conditioned boat; taking time from the helm to go in and get ice cubes you just made in your propane powered Refridge to refresh the Rum and Zero that you left just sitting around on the helm station?

Oh, and do it pointing 40 degrees off the wind.

Non-believers are welcome to come sailing with me, I've already posted the photo-evidence
Old 12-30-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Chuckles- The obvious problem there is you can only race if there is another cat to race against. PHRF doesn't handle multi-hulls well if at all and I think I'm safe in saying the sailchick- isn't likely to find anyother multi's to race against.
Old 12-30-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
PHRF SMURF

PHRF is a guideline, subject to modification and interpretation

I only 'race' locally if the winds are less than 12 kts, I can't plane in that low a breeze so I'm limited to hull speed. Makes it fair, mostly. I'll admit as commodore of my yacht club I can stretch the rules somewhat.

On the other hand, I 'race' every boat I'm on a similar course to, and often change course just to have a little fun. I win some, I lose some as I'm an indifferent racer.

For my local club, we use 174 as my PHRF, no screecher allowed. We (Race chair and I) arrived at that by sailing along side a boat rated at 177 in 10 knts of air, completing a triangle and hanging within 10 feet of relative starting positions. The other boat was a Islander 37, 150 genoa, both boats with clean bottoms. I am not eligible for trophies and such, and generally start at the 5 minute warning to stay clear of them that are eligible.
I cross the line at finish, hit my stopwatch and if the gun for the winner goes off more than 5 minutes later I figure I won line honors. It's the best I can do.

Keep in mind that I'm single handing a condo-cat against race crewed boats and only doing it for fun (and a little nose rubbing in the waves).

There are 118 KNOWN Gemini's on the Lakes for a starter. Multi's will eventually rule.

There are 4 Gemini's on my local river, two in my yacht club.

Google 'multihull racing chicago' then check out the FLEETS that are there.