Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
There are actually quite a few multi's that race on puget sound. DragonFly is a speed demon, a cat with a -160 or some such rating! Not a real good crusier tho. Most multi's are tri's. I guess some folks only need the training wheels, and NOT the main hull!

Marty
Old 12-30-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Chuckles, when I'm up in you're neck of the woods, I'd like to sail a W/L course against you. I also rate a 174, and think it would be fun to see how it works out. Maybe a mis-"Match race" if you will.
Old 12-31-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
You can love both but I fear a crusier boat will never be competive with the same boat set up for racing.

That does not mean that you cannot have fun racing just don't expect to win the over all or your class.

Unless you are willing to remove all cushions, wate in the head, fresh water, food stuffs, pots and pans, bedding, fuel (just enuff to get to the race and back) and anything that does not have a use for sailing.

You might want to look at thinner stronger halards and the anchor if not required needs to be removed or downsized to the min.

The bottom must be clean and smooth.

Food and water can be carried in an ice chest.

Be very leary of letting the racer out! You might just find yourself taking things things off your boat--you really didn't need them anyway.

There is a camaradie among racers that most will never understand untill they become racers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailChick20 View Post
."

Dare I ask...Is it possible to love both?

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Kind of like racing a Corvette against a pickup truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
PHRF SMURF

PHRF is a guideline, subject to modification and interpretation

I only 'race' locally if the winds are less than 12 kts, I can't plane in that low a breeze so I'm limited to hull speed. Makes it fair, mostly. I'll admit as commodore of my yacht club I can stretch the rules somewhat.

On the other hand, I 'race' every boat I'm on a similar course to, and often change course just to have a little fun. I win some, I lose some as I'm an indifferent racer.

For my local club, we use 174 as my PHRF, no screecher allowed. We (Race chair and I) arrived at that by sailing along side a boat rated at 177 in 10 knts of air, completing a triangle and hanging within 10 feet of relative starting positions. The other boat was a Islander 37, 150 genoa, both boats with clean bottoms. I am not eligible for trophies and such, and generally start at the 5 minute warning to stay clear of them that are eligible.
I cross the line at finish, hit my stopwatch and if the gun for the winner goes off more than 5 minutes later I figure I won line honors. It's the best I can do.

Keep in mind that I'm single handing a condo-cat against race crewed boats and only doing it for fun (and a little nose rubbing in the waves).

There are 118 KNOWN Gemini's on the Lakes for a starter. Multi's will eventually rule.

There are 4 Gemini's on my local river, two in my yacht club.

Google 'multihull racing chicago' then check out the FLEETS that are there.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 12-31-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
Kind of like racing a Corvette against a pickup truck.
I'd bet some pickups might give a vette a run for its money in some races. IE straight ahead such as a 1/4 mile. Not sure they would do well in a slalom or equal......but some pickumups are pretty quick, and have decent HP-lb ratio's.

But in the end, multi's vs mono's will not generally speaking do very well head to head! just like pickumups and vettes........Now to remember what a vette is,,,,or a car for that matter! says the person that has only owned one car, 69 conv bug, and too many trucks to count!

Marty
Old 12-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
When my brother was living in LA... he had a friend that had a pickup truck that could smoke most Corvettes. It had a 500 cu. in. block V8 that was bored and blueprinted... couldn't corner for jack, but in a straight line... it was a bat outta hades...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-31-2008

Some of you guys need to research how fast a new corvette really is. But that discussion is for another thread...
Old 12-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
ZZ—

I know how fast the new Corvette is.. the truck I'm talking about was from back in the late 1980s... when the Corvettes were a bit more reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Some of you guys need to research how fast a new corvette really is. But that discussion is for another thread...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-31-2008

Ford lightening?

Just b/c the vette was slow, doesn't make the truck fast.
Old 12-31-2008
Telstar 28

Was an old Chevy truck IIRC... BTW, the Corvettes from the late 1980s didn't have any where near the performance or power that the latest ones do... Then again, cars like the Corvette are likely a good part of the reason GM should be going belly up IMHO... No real need for a car that can do 160+ MPH on streets that are limited to 70 MPH by law. Stupid and wasteful.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.