Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Along with some of the motors in trucks are rather high HP etc too. I do not need 360 HP of turbo diesel in my pickumup either! Heck, I have half the torque and HP of my pickumup in my 6 ton dumptruck! and It is good for twice the gross wt that my pickumup is!

Any way. back to sailing......the pickumup can pull a trailerable boat at 7mph up and over just about any hill around too! Not that I can go any faster tha 60 for 100 mile around my house! even on interstates, so why worry about going 70! and the extra 50 hp or so needed to do so!

marty
Old 12-31-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
New 'vettes are limited just below 200 mph and still get almost 20 mph if driven nice.

Most new trucks are limited to around 90 mph.

Now these are just your run of the mill, plunk you money down, and pick your color ones.

Dog---I hear they are limiting all sail boats to 7 kts. for safety.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2008

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Was an old Chevy truck IIRC... BTW, the Corvettes from the late 1980s didn't have any where near the performance or power that the latest ones do... Then again, cars like the Corvette are likely a good part of the reason GM should be going belly up IMHO... No real need for a car that can do 160+ MPH on streets that are limited to 70 MPH by law. Stupid and wasteful.
Your talking about a company deserving to go bankrupt for making a product that is stupid and wasteful,....on a sailing forum
Old 12-31-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I race on other people's boats, but on my old boat (a classic '70s racer-cruiser), and my new boat (a bulbous full-keeler of less-sprightly response), I cruise as if I am racing.

In other words, I don't see any dichotomy between racing and cruising as between sailing effectively to the limits of the given design and sailing less than effectively. I have tacked sleek fin-keelers more rapidly in my full keeler, much to the horror of sporty racing types, because I know how to run my boat and because I have a great big rudder and oodles of foresail to use bring her head around. Will I win races? Hardly. Will I get the most out of the boat and belay the impression that she's a fat barge loose in stays? I certainly hope so. Any time I hear the crew on an obvious cruiser shout "Ready about?", I know I am in familiar company.

Nonsuch 30s, 33s and 36s (heavily built cat-rigged cruisers, for those unfamiliar with them) are regularly raced around here and frequently win or otherwise rank highly after the PHRF ratings are applied. Go below, and they look like nautically themed rec rooms, however. But their owners know how to squeeze potential into kinetic in their boats, and thus win races.
Old 12-31-2008
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Corvette/truck debaters...scram, you hijackers! lol

I guess what I'm getting at...
My boat is fairly fast, based only on how many others I pass while cruising...and what the knotmeter reads. I race on others' boats, and now have a curious interest to try it on my own this summer...nothing major, just a beer can here or there.

Will taking my Bene First 305 (folding prop & all) out equate to someone entering a NASCAR race in a 80's era Pontiac? I cringe when I hear the words "Bendytoy" and "Beneslow" thrown around by racers...and wonder if I'll end up feeling like an idiot out there. (sailing skills aside)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 12-31-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Chick I just looked up your PHRF rating, the us average is 165. That is a quick boat for a 30 footer. Enjoy the racing and remember who is making fun of your bendy. Those are guys you want to wave to enthusiastically when you pass them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 12-31-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailChick20 View Post
Will taking my Bene First 305 (folding prop & all) out equate to someone entering a NASCAR race in a 80's era Pontiac?
For club racing: Not at all. I did a quick search, and found PHRF ratings for your boat between 155 and 168. Our boat's PHRF rating is usually 180. So you'd have to give us anywhere from 12 to 25 seconds/nm.

What you will need to do is get her in "racing trim" (as previously noted by timebandit and others); learn the racing rules (there are additional "rules of the road"), incl. the flags (there are many of them), and practice, practice, practice. Tacks, gybes and going around the cans is all about timing, and how well you and your crew executes means the difference between winning and losing. Speaking of crew: You're going to want crew. And your BF's thing about "minor tweaks" for speed being unimportant: You're going to have to either change his attitude, have him off the boat, or relegate him to "rail meat" during races. (And even as rail meat: When they're supposed to get to the other side, that means now, not "as you please.") There is no such thing as an "unimportant" tweak during a race. Every 10th of a knot matters. Unless you don't care about winning. In which case: What's the point?

Jim
Old 12-31-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The difference between my 85 Jeanneau Arcadia and your mid 80's Bendytoy first 305 and the rating is "nothing" well, my base rating local rating is 188 due to regional issues. But on the east cost it is a 169! Folks are suprised how fast my boat is for a Jeanneau! The beny first series boats are ment to race, perform etc, vs the oceanus versions ie "bendyslows"

Your boat is slower than around 1/4 or less of 30'rs, and faster than 3/4 of them! A J 30 is one of the fastest boats of our size at ~140, and Hunters in the 220 range, or full keel old shoes in the mid 200 range! We have fast boats for there size.

Here is a pic of my boat doing 7'ish knots last Oct taken by another sailnetter on here, notice the similarity's of the boats. Yours IIRC a Farr desing, mine a Tony Castro - ie designer of the Laser SB3. Get out and enjo your boat, be it racing, or cruising, all of it is good!

Marty
Old 01-01-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind there are many levels of racing. If you are talking low-level club racing, there is no reason why a well-prepared production boat from the 1970s or 1980s with a decent bottom and sails can't be competitive. I did it for many years. However, to compete at higher levels, it becomes more difficult (and expensive). Most cruisers don't want to remove all their cruising gear before every race and pay for 2 sets of sails - race and cruise.
Old 01-01-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
Food and water can be carried in an ice chest.
Just don't buy the ice chest at WALMART!!!

Last edited by AE28; 01-01-2009 at 06:07 PM.