Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Kristen,
Have you got a crew list started for next year?
Maybe we can do some JAM (Jib and Main) races on Wednesday nights.
(I would think this would be a good starting point for you)
Im sure you would love it. Have you talked to Mark about it?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
JAM = jib and main.....nice to know what that means! Here in the NW it is FS or NFS, ie flying sails, or NON flying sails divisions. SO NFS here is equal to JAM there in GL's! Learn something here everyday if one looks! At least the jam is not what one puts on sandwiches!

marty
Old 01-02-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailChick20 View Post
The thing that makes me most nervous is the start...and the quick tacks/gybes before the start..only a couple feet away from other boats.
You'll get used to this, and you'll learn which boats you can trust not to hit you and which ones to avoid.

The thing that makes me nervous is when you're going to cross paths with someone and are on starboard tack, and the other boat has a big deck sweeper genoa flying. If you see feet under the edge of the sail and no one is playing peek-a-boo, you've got trouble.

When I go racing I live by the rule of "no paint exchange, no protest flag". It keeps everyone friendly at a friendly race. Real racers won't be so kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 01-02-2009
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Kristen,
Have you got a crew list started for next year?
Maybe we can do some JAM (Jib and Main) races on Wednesday nights.
(I would think this would be a good starting point for you)
Im sure you would love it. Have you talked to Mark about it?
Hey Tim,

I've mentioned it to Mark a bit...and I'm sure I'll end up racing with him 75% of the time still. I'd like to get some more experience on other boats too.

Been thinking about joining MORF...maybe catch a race here or there, when Mark isn't racing....and when I can round up enough (& qualified) crew. I have a handful of people that claim interest, but you know how quickly that can change when you need em' to come through on a certain day.

Seems like there are very few in the JAM section on Wednesday nights...so maybe you're right...a good place to start. See you there sometime?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 01-03-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
Sanctimonious blather
Old 01-03-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I have found a method that works for me and I would like to share it with you. 15 min's before the race starts I am making 1 min runs up to the line so I know exactly where I need to be when the 1 min gun sounds. At the sound of the gun we turn the boat and trim sheets and make our run to the line. The Idea here is to be a full speed crossing the start line when the start gun fires. Once we come around and head for the start line after the 1 min gun there is no turning back or letting up. You are driving the boat to the start and you are going to find a whole between other the boats and that is where you pass through at the start.
This method is pretty much key to a great start. "Running the line", we used to figure if there was a favoured pin (you could look it up) and count in seconds the time it took to transit the line. We knew how long it took to tack about within 2 seconds or so, barring mishaps. So we would wait for the 1 minute gun and make our turn X/2 - tack time and most of the time we would tack over the line right at the committee boat or the far pin.

Of course we would always choose to be on starboard at this point, and to be doing hull speed if possible. There are few greater pleasure in racing than to see a horde of guys in your fleet on port in front of you luffing and slewing and shouting as you flash by 'em at arms' length to haul ass over the start line.

That and a boat that's owed a bit of time are excellent keys to victory.
Old 01-03-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Valiente, We are talking the same language!! A good start makes for a great race! The music is just to distract the other boats.

Never Forgotten