SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cruiser/Racer....Is it possible to be both? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/50078-cruiser-racer-possible-both.html)

SailChick20 12-29-2008 11:32 PM

Cruiser/Racer....Is it possible to be both?

I admit, the SA thread spurred me to ask...but this is something I've struggled with too.

While the racing bug has bitten me...I like to cruise just as much.
It seems like the majority of sailors have chosen to mostly go one way...and scoff at the other.

I rarely see my diehard racing friends out with pals enjoying the breeze on a random day...and they've referred to boats like mine (with sleepable berths, enclosed heads & comfy cabin feel) as "furniture."

Dare I ask...Is it possible to love both?

NOLAsailing 12-29-2008 11:47 PM

Hell yeah... in fact, I raced all weekend and just got back in from an evening booze cruise. Racing makes you a better all round sailor, plus it's a lot of fun in its own right. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy a lazy sail.

smackdaddy 12-29-2008 11:48 PM

Hell yeah! Why not? To me it seems it inevitably comes down to whether you really want to be "competitive" in either/both. But with some compromise/balance - what's stopping you? Race your "cruiser". Cruise your "racer". It's all good!

sailaway21 12-29-2008 11:49 PM

Sure it is.

Most of us are cruisers until another boat heaves over the horizon and we then become racers! (g)

There is a point to be made there, though. I'm always suspicious of someone who says they're just a cruiser with no real interest in getting the most speed out of their boat. Do they mean it or are they just lazy?

Those whom are just racers burn out. I suspect as most do on racing alone, in any sport. For them it's not the specific mode of racing, it's the racing alone.

I think most of us are like you and much of our angst regarding choosing a boat reflects the balancing of those two often separate goals of speed over comfort. The boat manufacturers sure know about it; it's impossible to find any boat in the world that is not a racer/cruiser. Just look at their adverts!

sailingfool 12-29-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailChick20 (Post 424251)
Dare I ask...Is it possible to love both?

I find it quite easy to love both...the real dilemma is that it's very difficult to enjoy both while owning one boat.

blt2ski 12-29-2008 11:54 PM

Both you Bendy toy and my Jeanneau from the same mid 80's era, are classic racer/cruisers. Nice interiors, decent speed. Can shame a few on the course if you have the right crew etc. Nothing wrong with the ability to do both!

Where I am at, it is nice to sail across puget sound, about 6'ish miles from Edmonds to Kingston, have dinner, sail home. Then again, local club has little bouy races that can be fun. About every weekend of the yr, there is a race somewhere on Puget sound with in 3-6 hrs if you really want to do that along with it.

The San Juans up into the Canadian equals, some of the best cruising grounds around, once you figure out the tides and currents..........

Yes possible to do both. Fortunetly some newer designs are coming out with the ability to do both. Not just being a sled, ie a melges, or a cruiser, seems like the rest!

Marty

US27inKS 12-30-2008 12:01 AM

I race my cruiser 4-5 times a year and I crew on my friends boat for the races every other weekend. The only downside is that my wife can't figure out why I'm constantly trimming and adjusting for the "lake swirl" winds. She sees no point in getting that last .1 knot while heading down the lake with the kids. Once you love the racing, you can't help it.

SailChick20 12-30-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US27inKS (Post 424268)
I race my cruiser 4-5 times a year and I crew on my friends boat for the races every other weekend. The only downside is that my wife can't figure out why I'm constantly trimming and adjusting for the "lake swirl" winds. She sees no point in getting that last .1 knot while heading down the lake with the kids. Once you love the racing, you can't help it.

I catch regular flack for this too.

Wayne25 12-30-2008 12:17 AM

I think Alex is a perfect example of doing both at a high level.

blt2ski 12-30-2008 12:20 AM

Alex is a high profile person on here doing both. But reality is, many others on here do something similar or equal in their boats, at the level they are able to do.

The ability to do both is definitely there!

Marty