Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Cruiser/Racer....Is it possible to be both?

I admit, the SA thread spurred me to ask...but this is something I've struggled with too.

While the racing bug has bitten me...I like to cruise just as much.
It seems like the majority of sailors have chosen to mostly go one way...and scoff at the other.

I rarely see my diehard racing friends out with pals enjoying the breeze on a random day...and they've referred to boats like mine (with sleepable berths, enclosed heads & comfy cabin feel) as "furniture."

Dare I ask...Is it possible to love both?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Hell yeah... in fact, I raced all weekend and just got back in from an evening booze cruise. Racing makes you a better all round sailor, plus it's a lot of fun in its own right. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy a lazy sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hell yeah! Why not? To me it seems it inevitably comes down to whether you really want to be "competitive" in either/both. But with some compromise/balance - what's stopping you? Race your "cruiser". Cruise your "racer". It's all good!
Old 12-30-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Sure it is.

Most of us are cruisers until another boat heaves over the horizon and we then become racers! (g)

There is a point to be made there, though. I'm always suspicious of someone who says they're just a cruiser with no real interest in getting the most speed out of their boat. Do they mean it or are they just lazy?

Those whom are just racers burn out. I suspect as most do on racing alone, in any sport. For them it's not the specific mode of racing, it's the racing alone.

I think most of us are like you and much of our angst regarding choosing a boat reflects the balancing of those two often separate goals of speed over comfort. The boat manufacturers sure know about it; it's impossible to find any boat in the world that is not a racer/cruiser. Just look at their adverts!
Old 12-30-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailChick20 View Post
Dare I ask...Is it possible to love both?
I find it quite easy to love both...the real dilemma is that it's very difficult to enjoy both while owning one boat.
Old 12-30-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Both you Bendy toy and my Jeanneau from the same mid 80's era, are classic racer/cruisers. Nice interiors, decent speed. Can shame a few on the course if you have the right crew etc. Nothing wrong with the ability to do both!

Where I am at, it is nice to sail across puget sound, about 6'ish miles from Edmonds to Kingston, have dinner, sail home. Then again, local club has little bouy races that can be fun. About every weekend of the yr, there is a race somewhere on Puget sound with in 3-6 hrs if you really want to do that along with it.

The San Juans up into the Canadian equals, some of the best cruising grounds around, once you figure out the tides and currents..........

Yes possible to do both. Fortunetly some newer designs are coming out with the ability to do both. Not just being a sled, ie a melges, or a cruiser, seems like the rest!

Marty
Old 12-30-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I race my cruiser 4-5 times a year and I crew on my friends boat for the races every other weekend. The only downside is that my wife can't figure out why I'm constantly trimming and adjusting for the "lake swirl" winds. She sees no point in getting that last .1 knot while heading down the lake with the kids. Once you love the racing, you can't help it.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 12-30-2008
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
I race my cruiser 4-5 times a year and I crew on my friends boat for the races every other weekend. The only downside is that my wife can't figure out why I'm constantly trimming and adjusting for the "lake swirl" winds. She sees no point in getting that last .1 knot while heading down the lake with the kids. Once you love the racing, you can't help it.
I catch regular flack for this too.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 12-30-2008

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
I think Alex is a perfect example of doing both at a high level.
1976 #552
Old 12-30-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Alex is a high profile person on here doing both. But reality is, many others on here do something similar or equal in their boats, at the level they are able to do.

The ability to do both is definitely there!

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.