Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake: Herrington Harbor North

Chesapeake sailors,

I am thinking of moving my boat's permanent slip to Herrington Harbor North. (Closer to home and closer to the north bay sailing that we miss). We have sailed the Chesapeake for 10-years, but have never entered HHN or HHS. After a road-trip to HHN - we are impressed.

For any who keep their boat at HHN or may have used it as a transient facility, a few questions please. Is the long channel to & from the bay sufficiently deep and maintained to permit passage of a 6'2" draft? Is there sufficient protection from the southerly wind to keep it from making docking difficult? The boat is 40' so would be kept at "B, C, or D" docks. Any comments from experience on the facilities or management in general?

If this post is too "focused" for the BB let me know and I'll provide e-mail.

Wayne

Last edited by wwilson; 12-30-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i have not sailed there but from what i understand they have some bad shouls, and i mean real bad narrow channel. do more research
Old 12-30-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I usually sail out of there on anothers boat. The current channel is narrowed b/c they're drudging it (sp?). It is very narrow, but I believe they should be done by this coming season. Obey the markers and you should be fine unless the winds are strong (steady 25+knts) blowing the water out into the bay. Really makes it a lot more shallow at low tide. One of the J35s couldn't get out of their slip, but that only happened once. It is pricey, but access to the bay is hard to beat. You can also have any work you need done taken care of by the marina, as HHN is a working marina, HHS is more of a resort.

Cadence II is in M-2 (currently on the hard) but if you feel like waiting until spring, stop by and tell him one of his crew says hi, he'll be able to give you more insight. I have his email, PM me and I'll send it to ya.
Old 12-30-2008

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
In and out is quite narrow, and the 6'2" may need to watch the wind and the tides. Once inside it seems fairly well protected. Fairways can be a bit narrow for my liking, but can manage.

Next nice day, you may want to visit and talk to the locals for better specifics.

Facilities have always been very good and well kept. North has good yard and such. Not sure about SOuth, as the others mentioned too much for me.
Old 12-30-2008
Baybilly

Spiritman is on a distinguished road
I've kept a sloop with a five foot draft at HHN for six years. It's one of the best marinas on the bay IMHO.

The long narrow Rockhold Creek channel (I call it the "bowling alley"), is supposed to be dredged this spring by the Army Corps of Engineers. Anything less than high tide presents a challenge to the J-35s (7ft draft), but I've scraped a couple of times at very low tide. Some shoaling was introduced to the channel during construction of the southern rock jetty, but there is a detailed chart of this available at the marina office.

The amenities are top-notch, and the slips are well protected from all directions. There is a large, well marked shoal area at the western end of the alley which could be confusing at first (especially at night) -- just study your charts and you'll be OK.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
We keep SOLARE at Herrington Harbour South, but haul for winter at HH North. Right now the Rockhall Creek channel is a bit thin, but I just read in the HH newsletter that the dredging permit was approved and the channel is to be dredged to a min or 7' by early spring.

As for amenities, Herrington Harbour North is first rate especially for a working yard. Herrington South is more of a country club atmosphere, but you pay a premium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 12-30-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I sailed out of there on my first ever trip to the bay; bought my Hunter 31 from the yard there and took it to Annapolis.

While there the yard fixed a crack the surveyor found in the hull (caused by lifting stress, strap was on a a interior bulkhead), minor crack, 2 inches long, not leaking. 700 bucks, and rough gel coat not sanded smooth at all. I was not happy with it.

Mind the bar on the way north, head out to the green can and don't cut the corner. Looking forward to seeing you in our neck of the bay.
Old 12-31-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
In and out of HHS and HHN numerous times with my boat and my son's boat, both 42' sloops with 6.5' draft. No problems. My son keeps his boat at HHS which is a beautiful spot.

Together, these marinas represent one of the largest -- if not the largest -- marinas in the world. Further, they are extremely well managed and well kept. If that weren't enough, they are the closest spot on the Bay to Washington, DC and the drive down the Suitland Parkway and Route 4 then 258 is very pleasant. Takes 35-40 minutes.

Still not enough? Herring Bay is located mid-Bay, with lots of destinations north, south, and across the Bay. Very convenient. You can be sailing in minutes from HHS, while HHN takes a bit longer while you negotiate the channels.

There are lots of competent vendors onsite, and Rockhold Creek Marina just to the north boasts some of the best engineering talent on the Bay. HHN has several large travel lifts, and a very large area for dry storage. If you talk to them nicely, they'll find you a spot in the rear of the yard where you can work on your own boat.

There are a couple of good restaurants closeby and a West Marine store on the grounds of HHN.

As Siskal and Ebert used to say, "Two Thumbs Way Up"!

JMO,

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 12-31-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So Bill, tell us how much you really like the place...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-31-2008

JayCarver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JayCarver
We keep our boat at HHN, at the end of E dock, and our draft is 6'5". We're very happy there. The long-delayed dredging project by the Army Corps of Engineers will be a big improvement, but the channel is well marked and generally there are no real problems. The marina is well protected, and often calm,while really blowing out on the Bay. Much more important than the tides is the direction of the wind. Winds out of the north tend to lower the water level sometimes by several feet, which occasionally causes problems with deeper draft boats. But no reason to rule out HHN with a boat of your draft. The marina has done a lot of dredging of the fairways and slips, and I find the fairways plenty wide. The marina staff is great, the on-premises West Marine is handy, and I'm sure you'll be happy there.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.