Nick Scandone has passed... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-04-2009 Thread Starter
Leap! The net will appear

Nick Scandone has passed...

Quoted from a sailing blog: (thought this was worth a mention, as his story was so inspiring! -Kristen)

"He woke up, looked at his wife, Mary Kate, took his oxygen mask off, gave her a kiss and told her that he loved her. He put the oxygen mask back on and passed away." From Sailworld - Sharing the Good.

Sadly, Paralympic Gold medalist, Nick Scandone passed away yesterday. Nick suffered from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.

Nick was determined to compete in the Beijing Olympics. It took a superhuman effort to keep going as he got progressively worse over the last year. He and his partner Maureen McKinnon-Tucker won gold.

With all the excitement about Ben Ainslie, Zach Railey and Anna Tunnicliffe, for me Nick's story was the most inspiring. I found this excerpt from an article about Nick in NY Times, especially moving:

Mary-Kate Scandone has supported her husband every step of his Olympic and Paralympic journey, through the accomplishments and the adversity and through the enthusiasm and exhaustion. This is a bittersweet moment for the couple. "It's everything we've been fighting for," said Mary-Kate. "Sailing and his [Paralympic] goal has kept him alive." In an emotional moment, Mary-Kate thanked the designer of Nick's boat "because he gave me four more years with my husband," she said

Sail on Nick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-04-2009

Very sad! Give him credit for doing more with his life than many will ever do!

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-04-2009
moderate?

May he rest in peace.

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #4 of 4 Old 01-04-2009

Nick Scandone

I knew Nick, and worked with Nick some time ago. Before I knew what a good sailor he was, I knew he was a truly nice guy. He was truly an amazing man and will be missed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.