Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009
Learning & Loving It

berkshire1 is on a distinguished road
What a shame!

I just came back from my marina. Its cold with freezing rain and I wanted to check on the boat. I walked along some of the other docks and saw a few things that really make me angry.
I worked hard to get the boat I currently have. It's not much but I have loved every minute of owning it. I wash it more than my car and if I could I'd be down there everyday doing something if not on the lake.
I saw a few boats today that obviously haven't been out in years. There is a Bene that is an inch thick with dirt, spider webs - you name it. I saw another 30 foot where the cockpit was so filled with water it was spilling over into the cabin. I know that boat hasn't seen its owner in 4 years.
There is a Seidleman 29.9. The cockpit and cabin are filled with empty beer cans. The boom is hanging off the mast and the sail is ripped.
Its a shame that owners let these boats go.
Is this normal? Or a sign of the times?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
It's normal.

and sad.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 01-05-2009

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
I have the sailing bug, but no boat, yet. I've walked along the docks of the harbor marina where I live. We only moved here in July. There were so many boats in 'disrepair' that I emailed the harbor master asking if she knew of any for sale. She responded in the positive. I look forward to seeing what may be out there for sale, and to freeing up a slip for someone as there is a two year waiting list.

Seems like the marina could create some good business opportunities by contacting owners of neglected boats offering to assist in selling what they obviously don't care about.
Old 01-05-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
That is confusing

Thats sad and such a waste. I do think its a sign of the times and the wrong focus of whats important. If someone works hard for what they get, then that likely won't happen. Of course the sign of the times all point to the convolution that causes people to lose jobs, have health problems, family turmoil or a multitude of other
I'm happy to report its not the norm in marinas around here in Mass. though.
Old 01-05-2009
Learning & Loving It

berkshire1 is on a distinguished road
StNick, I've talked to our marina manager as well. I actually have my eye on one of the abandoned ones. It hasn't moved in 4 years. The owners are 2 years behind on slip fees and they are set to auction it in Feb.
As long as the slip fees are being paid, management really doesn't know about them. He told me to find the hull number and do a title check. You can usually get a name and address to at least make them an offer.
Some marinas let you pay monthly where some charge the full year. I'm sure some people have big sailing dreams then get bored after a few months.
I've got a close friend who discussed boating with his current wife. They went out and bought a $90,000 Bayliner. They went together 3 times. She's now bored and won't go out anymore. He now pays $520 a month for a place to drink a beer. Sad but true. He'd sell the boat to the first person who made him a decent offer.
Old 01-05-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Not anything new. perhaps a bit more prevelent today.
Back in 93 I remember the 'spider boat'. launced in spring and never visited all summer. The spiders built a house of horrors there. I could not imagine the owner finally coming to move the boat out for winter and having to hack through the webs & spiders big enough to carry off a small dog.

Once the boat looses it's luster, it's easy to keep slipping down that slope and eventually not want to come back and be reminded of your poor maintenance. In the south you don't have to move the boat in the fall so it can sit for years.
Old 01-05-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
I bought my current boat at a great price after noticing the neglect and asking the harbor master to forward along my contact info. AND it came with the slip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
This was also very common at the marina where I Kept my boat. I would say 50% of the boats never went out or had anyone come check on them over that 5 year period. There was one 30' sailboat that had to be pumped out three times because water had filled the boat to the point the waterline was 6 inches below the water. And according to the marina they all paid the slip fees regularly. Go figure.
Old 01-05-2009
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
We are buying a boat (survey this weekend) in Seattle. We go round and round where to keep it.... Shilshole or Elliott Bay. Shilshole is cheaper, but oh my god, the number of boats that just languish there, it is so depressing. Elliott Bay seems to draw a little higher end crowd and much fewer ignored boats. To me there is not much sadder a thing, than an ignored toy, if it no longer interests you, make it available to someone who will cherish it and use it!

michael
Old 01-06-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Personally, I think it has do to with the marina that the boats are at. Some marina's are as mentioned, seem to get higher class/responsible owners if you will. meanwhile others, have lower end boats, that sit and sit. Where I am at, granted there are a few boats that languish, most, seem to go out at some point in time. But I will admit, there are four near me, one I have never seen the owner in the 3 yrs I have been there, one some one pressure washing, did half, have not seen in 1.5 yrs. Another, mast's came off a yr or so ago, met the owner one time............a fourth, an overall real pretty yankee 30 is now for sale, higher than it should be, but not bad.

Anyway, think this goes on to a degree in ANY marina, but some, seem to get and attract more relects than others.

Marty