Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2002

DrakeSteve is on a distinguished road
Anybody ever hear of a

Aibury -- Apparently it was built in the bahamas. It is a full keel 24''sloop mfg in 1981. Has a nice look to it with a bowspirt and gaff rigged. Wondering if anyone knows of this boat, Its performance, seaworthiness etc. ??

Please advise.

Thanks

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Anybody ever hear of a

I assume you mean Albury. The Alburys are a family of boat builders in the Abacos. They decend from English loyalists who left the newly formed U.S. after the revolutionary war. They are highly regarded as wooden boat builders building many a fine Bahamian Dinghy and Bahamian Sloop. I considered buying a wooden 28 foot Albury sloop back in the early 1970''s. The workmanship was quite good for an island built boat. The Bahamian sloops are generally robustly framed with double sawn framing (madierra or horseflesh) and fairly heavy Atlantic Longleaf pine planking. They generally use pole spars rather than hollow spars. Most of them that I have seen have been galvanized iron fastened. A lot of Bahamian sloops used internal ballast which can rot out the planking and cause damage to the Garboard strake. The galvanized fastenings have a limited lifespan of maybe 20 to 25 years and can promote rot in the frames. (Troughing which cannot be seen from the surface.) Also, in my experience the pole spars are a little prone to rotting at the maststep and partners.

Bahamian sloops derive from island work boats. They generally have very large sail plans and sail well in a wide range of conditions. They are not really intended to be offshore boats but they can handle quite a bit of breeze is sailed well. They use a shore gaff or an oversized headboard that looks almost like a Dutch rig.

While many of the Bahamian sloops are quite fast by traditional workboat standards, by modern standards they are not all that fast. Still that is not what these boats are about, Sailing wooden boats like these is about a different kind of experience, one that offers a very rich experience but very different that sailing more modern designs. Boats like these take a lot of skill to sail well and to maintain. Kept up with. they are very rewarding.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2002

tarmand is on a distinguished road
Anybody ever hear of a

Good Lord, Jeff_H. Is there anything you don''t know?
Old 09-18-2002

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Anybody ever hear of a

What do you expect...He''s one hundred eighty three years old!

Dennis
Old 09-18-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Anybody ever hear of a

At 52 years old (40 plus of those spent sailing and reading about sailing) there is a lot that I have seen and learned, and still a lot more that I still have to learn. I still come to places like this to learn, as well as, to help pass on whatever info I can. When you stop learning you have stopped living I always say.

To be frank, I am not terribly knowledgeable about many of the newer electrical/ electronics systems or refrigeration systems and I am learning about bigger diesels.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 09-19-2002

colehankins is on a distinguished road
Anybody ever hear of a

Jeff keep up the great work I enjoy reading your answers
Old 09-19-2002

tarmand is on a distinguished road
Anybody ever hear of a

I guess I should''ve put one of those smiley faces on my post because I meant it as a compliment.
Old 09-19-2002

Anybody ever hear of a

I knew that you did. I should have included a smiley face on mine. 8^)

Jeff