Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
An Unexpected Surprise

How's this for cool.

I've been doing a bit of window shopping for boats lately. Well, yesterday I decided to go check out a local boat for sale, a 1975 O'Day 25. Turns out the marina is only about 5 minutes from my house (by car) so it really wasn't out of my way. I showed up and met with the seller, A really nice older guy named Bob, who showed me around the boat and answered a bunch of questions for me. The boat is pretty solid shape from what I can tell (I went armed with SD's inspection tips). There's a few things that need work but it is a 1975 after all. The hull is great and I didn't see any soft spots. The main is practically brand new and it comes with 2 hank on jibs including a 150 genoa. there were several issues that the seller was going to address like the cable for the centerboard came loose and the fuelpump on the outboard died (another is on order). All in all a nice boat.

Well I told my wife about it and, even though we don't have the money to buy just yet, we decided to drop by unannounced and take a quick walk by and see it again. Well turns out Bob was there again. I introduced my wife to him and we walked over and started looking at it. We were just about to climb aboard when another guy and his daughter walked up. They were helping Bob so some work on some of the sailing club boats. He asked if we were taking the O'Day out and asked if they could come along. Well we hadn't planned on going out but Bob said "Sure would you mind taking them out for a short sail?" My wife and I looked at each other and said "Why not". So we hopped on and started preparing to make way. It was VERY light air and we had no motor but we managed to get the boat out and under way. We had a delightful little sail and my wife got a couple quick lessons on sailing fundamentals. We were out for about 45 minutes when it started getting dark and our wind died to almost nothing. We still managed to make it back to the slip.

And now for the best part. My wife loved it. Not sure if she loved it as much as me but she's definitely hip to the idea. She's even making noises about WHEN we get to trailer a boat to coast and cruise the ICW.

Gotta love those pleasant surprises

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Way to go Greenie! Your getting warmer.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-11-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
I was just blown away that someone I met 2 minutes ago was willing to take another guys boat out with to people he doesn't know at the drop of a hat.

Too cool.

And doesn't it figure. I forgot to snap some pics with my phone to prove it

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 01-11-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Kewl, CK!

I think this one has a feel about it. You need to have a garage sale. Maybe hock the entertainment center and the couch. Every morning, when you get up, you should say to her, "it's a beautiful O'Day". I learned that in that mail order subliminal seduction course I took. Cost me $39.99 plus shipping but I'm telling you for free. (g)
Old 01-11-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

HAHAHA. So far the RV has been up on the auction block 8 times and I still have it. Not one person has even made it out to look at it.

It's not like I'm asking a fortune for it or looking to get rich. I'm asking just about half the NADA value but I guess RVs just aren't in high demand right now. I DO have a 1971 Camaro I need to sell too. Only problem is it's in TN and I'm in NC.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 01-11-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Nice one. I think you'll find that people who have to look at 40,000 feet of cumulus and decide whether it's got a gale in its backside get to be a good judge of character. I encounter all sorts of trust and quick friendship in the boating game that I rarely see in "town".
Old 01-11-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
CK,
You're going to die with that automotive iron around your neck so quit focusing on it. You've got to think outside the box here.

You've been trying to cut down on wasted time in front of the tube. Sell the tube. Now you don't need the entertainment center, either. Sell it too.

Realistically, how often do you use that wedding china? Hello, ebay? You're just in time for the spring wedding rush too! And that's another thing, how about all that jewelry that never gets worn? You've got a least an O'Day trailer's worth of earrings missing a mate laying around in a drawer or jewelry box somewhere.

You've got a furnace in that house, right? At this very moment that furnace is worth top dollar. In two months, where you're at, you won't be able to give that furnace away. You should sell it now.

By now you've figured out which of the ten things you bought the kids for Christmas they really like. The other things, the ones they're barely using, are under utilized capital. You cannot afford under performing assets. You've got to move 'em.

You have to consider all of your options. I think you're being entirely too parochial about all this. Doesn't keeping up with Painkiller mean anything to you? (g)

Last edited by sailaway21; 01-11-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

Heck, Why stop there. I can sell the couches from the formal living room, the beds from the spare bedrooms and formal dining table We mostly eat on the couch in the family room anyway. But wait. With no TV there's no need to have the couch either.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 01-11-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
CK
Do you have a soul? I'm tight with a guy who will give you top dollar for it.
Old 01-11-2009

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
What a great story. I think most boaters are very nice people, and recognize when others are interested and believe they, too, are nice people.

I'm slowly hanging around our local harbor hoping to meet some of the guys that are out tinkering on their sailboats every day. Maybe pick up a free lesson here and there.