SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

NY Long Island Winter meet up

14K views 172 replies 19 participants last post by  defrich 
#1 ·
Since winter is getting to many of us with this snow and nothing to do but look at your boat in the yard. I had the idea to have a meet up with sailnet members to hangout and meet the people you have the oppurtunity to make fun of:D :D :D . I figured we'd meet in Huntington or somewhere on the north shore of Long Island. Craigtoo is going to be in Huntington Mon-Thurs the week of the 26th. Anyone that wants to come is invited and any reccomendations for where to go and a day that would be best are welcomed, the only thing is dinner would be best or late lunch since I have a pleasant little thing called school. This is all open and nothing is official yet.

#4 ·
I'm buying the first round, in honor of all the help I've been getting from Sailnet. (That's soda for you MrW.)

#5 · (Edited)
Haha thanks we still gotta figure out where we wanna go theres tons of choices in Huntington. Ya it sounds like the beginning of the week is gonna be best because your the second person Ive heard of leaving at the end for Chicago. Bene you bringing lucas?

#6 ·
Lucas may come. Not sure yet if he'll be free. I know Tuesday isn't good for him.

#11 ·
So what kind of food are we getting I didn't want to just choose a place and find out no one likes that kind of food or would have preferred another place, there are tons of choices in Huntington and all around it. We have a plain Diner w/ awesome food, thai, hibachi grill, mediterranean, italian, mexican, seafood. Anyone have a really good place they'd want to go?

#14 ·
Smack,

Your always invited. And we'll think of you when the waves in the beer glasses get big and frothy. I'll pick you up at JFK, LAG or ISP airport just let me know your flight. Seriously, you ought to come here after our boats get put back into the water. We'll need to move our boat sometime in April or May. That should be fun and I'll have the spinnaker back by then.

MrW -- someplace where we can take out time and talk about many things sailing. That means just about anywhere. I can picture cutting into a nice juicy steak or chomping into a big burger. And downing some cold beers.

Regards

#16 · (Edited)
Does legal seafood sound good? they have everything and can handle a nice group and is right off jericho turnpike so its easy to get to. hopefully this doesnt get too big wasn't planning on this many :D If thats too expensive we can pick w/e as long as everyone can fit if theres not too many we'll probably end up at the diner

#21 ·
I would love to join all you guys.

"Pick a place and time" sounds as a right approach. Since I am not "9-5" either, my constrains would be traffic (reverse for the NJ to city part, but then I would jam right into commuters' flow?
And wife's scedule (somebody would have to stay with the kid) I can not predict.

And I would eat and drink anything.

#22 ·
I would love to join all you guys.

And I would eat and drink anything.
Oh... we need to get this guy there! :D :D I'm sure I can find something on the menu at Legal Seafood that'll gross you out! heh.. kidding. Be great to have a bunch of us Sailnetters together! (Although Bubb might get sick of me...seeing me in NY and again in Chi-Town...)

Wuffler should be home from school soon.... We'll see what he says about the day and time.

#24 ·
O.k. here's the deal. I had asked my dad a few days ago if this would be ok and he replied yes. After talking about it with him he has changed his mind and said I would not be able to do something like this due to school work and midterms are in a few weeks. I feel so bad that I can't keep organizing this and will not be able to go. Thanks for all the interest but I'm afraid this just won't work out. If another member in the area wants to organize take over I just count me out. Again I feel really bad about this but grades come first. I hope your all understanding about this and next time I'll make sure Dad is positive I will be allowed. This has nothing to do with anyone on here only my school work. If you guys do do something ya got to tell me all about it. I'm really sorry and thanks for understanding. Hopefully next time we'll be able to work something out.

#28 ·
wuffles, good on you for respecting your dad, and manning up by backing down. But, hang on here a second. Midterms are not a for a "few weeks" and this shindig is planned for two weeks away, right? and really, we're not talking about going on a three day bender in atlantic city- this is a couple of hours, in town, hanging out. Heck, most of these guys are so old they all need to be home and in bed by nine oclock anyway. And, wuff, i assume your grades are better than average, that you are not in any danger of failing your classes or getting kicked out of school, right? And if you are, in fact, fornicating the canine in a class or two, then that is exactly the reason why you need to get together with these reprobates. Because, although they are sailors, there seems to be a smattering of intelligence and experience scattered amongst this motley crew.
Have another sitdown with Father Wuffles, and wade back into it again, using the points I outlined above. I'd hate to see a guy miss the event he started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.