Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
By the time I'm old enough to consider this, I'll just hand the helm and sheets over to my Mark 5 helpers...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey, if you want to go out sailing... no reason you should endanger anyone else...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkeel7 View Post
Dang Dawg....you made me choke on my Triscuit! Who said that romanticizing sailing was DEAD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I guess I'll through in a couple of thoughts being a junior curmudgeon myself. First, from what I've seen, if every boater over the age of 50 quit, there would not be a marina or boat yard left in this country that could remain in business, so there wouldn't be many sub 50 boaters either. I'm late 40's and of the 250 slips at our marina, perhaps 6 or so boats are owned by folks younger than me. I've yet to see the marina where the majority of patrons were 50 or less. The fact is late 40's is the young end of the spectrum when you start talking about boats larger than your typical runabout and without them most marinas would be out of business. Without marinas, access to the water for the small percentage of boat owning sailors under 40 would be severely limited and likely even more expensive than now, further limiting availabilty.

Second, on the when to hang it up question, that date for me will no doubt be when the work of maintaining a boat outweighs the enjoyment. To me, the physical effort of sailing the boat pales in comparison to the physical effort of keeping the boat properly maintained. There is no doubt in my mind that I would sail a lot later in life if I could pay someone to keep the boat up for me.
Old 01-18-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
I took the wife whale watching from page 3 to 10 so this is a little late but I feel it important to mention to anyone who used "sailing and hazardous" in the same sentence to get to land immediately because you must be doing something wrong.
Old 01-19-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Hang it up.....

.... when you can't get it up! (The mainsail, that is).