SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cold!

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  ckgreenman 
#1 ·
I'm sure some will find this amusing but at 11 degrees here in Oriental, it's COLD AS #*$K!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't winterize the engine again this year because i like to run it atleast once every few weeks. Last year we were sailing in December. Anyway... i decided to make the 3 hr drive to check on the boat. I also decided to put a 75W bulb in the engine compartment to keep things from freezing when i got here... BBBrrrrrrrr. Can't wait for March!

#3 ·
I hope everything on the Motor works in the spring

11 deg is REALLY cold for not winterizing the motor, even if it stays in the water. I know guys up here in New England, that stay in the water year round, still pump some "Non-Toxic" Anti-freeze in the motor when it gets real cold. A lot of Year-Round-In-The-Water guys flush their motor with fresh water after each use and then put a gallon of AF into for extended periods of idleness.

DrB

#5 ·
Dr B... She does stay in the water year round and the temps here rarely get this cold. I will keep the lightbulb on a thermostat so it doesn't burn 24/7. I'd rather not have to pump in fresh AF everytime i run it but it would be a good idea.

Wayne... good suggestion but i had a tough time fitting just a single bulb down there!

Jimmy...

#6 ·
I was just wondering,don't they have block heaters that could be installed when 110 voltages available?

It seems a block heater would be far safer than a lightbulb and more reliable too.

#7 ·
Hey, Joel. I know what you mean about the cold. It was 9 degrees here in Charlotte. F'ING BRRRRRRRRR

As for the engine, West Marine does sell engine compartment heaters. They're basically a space heater designed to placed next to the engine and is safe even for gas engines. I've also seen companies that make engine block heaters that mount in place of a freeze plug (heats the water) or installs in the oil pan (heats the engine oil). I've thought about giving one of them a try in my engine but I'm worried it wouldn't keep the manifolds warm enough. Those things aren't cheap to replace.

#8 ·
Jimmy,

What you're doing is very dangerous practice. I witnessed a large sailboat at my marina sink several years ago because he had done the same thing...used a light bulb in the engine room.

It's dangerous because: (1) if the bulb burns out you're SOL; (2) the engine block is only one thing to worry about; a frozen thru-hull is even worse.

Furthermore, putting the bulb on a thermostat INCREASES the chance of it burning out. Turning it off and on is worse than leaving it on.

I'd bite the bullet and put an engine-room heater there. The marine-approved ones aren't cheap, but you've gotta consider the cost of a damaged engine or worse.

Bill

#10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion ck, i forgot about those things. I think this would work better than the lightbulb and would be safer too. It will have to be in next years budget though. The block warmers i saw have no thermostat and i would prefer there to be one in line. I also want to keep everything in there above freezing... not just the block. They are a lot cheaper though.

250W Engine Compartment Heater

#12 · (Edited)
Hey Bill, I assume your directing that towards me. I agree that it's not ideal but it's what i'm working with right now. If the bulb burns out then i tried... and the thru-hulls aren't a concern... The water temps are around 45 degrees here. The last time this creek iced was atleast 20 years ago.
So... the best option is an engine room heater. Looks like that is the consensus here so far.

#14 ·
I think you'll be ok. The water temp has a big effect on temperature below. The bulb should do it. I never really worried about my engine until the harbor froze. The bilge pump froze, then the boat slowly became a giant cooler. Think I had ice in that wooden hull until spring.
I do feel for you Southerners. We're somewhat used to this.

#15 ·
Block heaters commonly draw 1000-1500 watts so you'll want a heavy duty electrical service, no longer than necessary, feeding it. They'll generally keep the whole engine warm as they're heating the cooling water chambers.

Leave the light bulb on as Bill suggests. If you recall ever seeing a bulb go out while lit, versus at energizing, you've experienced a rare event. I'd try to find one with the heavy duty globe in case it get's some water splashed on it. They market them as work bulbs. If you elect to use a UV light or similar, pay attention to whether it's a base up or base down model. a base down model placed with the base up will heat up and the glue that holds the threaded plug will fail due to heat build up and the bulb will fall out of the threaded plug!

#17 ·
Sway—

You wouldn't want a UV light, but an IR light... or heat lamp... a UV light might give the engine a tan, but not warm it a whole lot. :)

#18 ·
Sway.... I use a heavy gauge drop cord so i think i would be ok. I use the same drop cord for running a small A/C during summer months at the dock... no problems. I ended up leaving the 60W bulb on... positioned carefully and secured in place. I don't think water could possibly get to it unless she sank. :eek: When the engine is running it gets much hotter so i'm not too worried about it starting a fire. I also have my neighbor keeping an eye on it. Next season i'll install something a little more permanent... I like the Safeboat heater.

Hey Jacky! I've been in home project mode... knocking out the Honey-Do list so when the warm weather rolls around i can focus on the boat again. I've also been working on the house at the coast for mom & dad. Painting seems to go on forever. This year we're pulling her out and putting a fresh bottom coat on, doing some engine maintenance, tuning the rigging, new tiller... and several other things. Can't wait for the warmer weather! We're hoping to get started on the bottom in March.

Dog... my engine definately does not need a UV tan! :eek: I would think a heatlamp would be too much heat... those things get hot! Maybe a heating rock for pets lol :laugher The bulb seems to be a fine temporary solution.

#20 ·
Sway.... I use a heavy gauge drop cord so i think i would be ok. I use the same drop cord for running a small A/C during summer months at the dock... no problems. I ended up leaving the 60W bulb on... positioned carefully and secured in place. I don't think water could possibly get to it unless she sank. :eek: When the engine is running it gets much hotter so i'm not too worried about it starting a fire. I also have my neighbor keeping an eye on it. Next season i'll install something a little more permanent... I like the Safeboat heater.
good thinking... :)

Hey Jacky! I've been in home project mode... knocking out the Honey-Do list so when the warm weather rolls around i can focus on the boat again. I've also been working on the house at the coast for mom & dad. Painting seems to go on forever. This year we're pulling her out and putting a fresh bottom coat on, doing some engine maintenance, tuning the rigging, new tiller... and several other things. Can't wait for the warmer weather! We're hoping to get started on the bottom in March.
Smart boy...get the honey-do list finished before the boating season starts... btw, I'm sure Jayme will get more things to add to the honey-do list shortly.

Dog... my engine definately does not need a UV tan! :eek: I would think a heatlamp would be too much heat... those things get hot! Maybe a heating rock for pets lol :laugher The bulb seems to be a fine temporary solution.
True, but I didn't suggest a heat lamp...SWAY did, sort of... in his normally incoherent way.

#19 ·
Joel, another item to consider if you don't want to use the block heaters (or fork up the cash) is an electric oil filled radiator style. I use one on my boat and it has a thermostat that will keep just above freezing. Its cool enough to set your hand on it too. I think it was about $70 and then you can spend the other $230 of the marine block heater price on other boat things!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.