Need advice regarding compensation for stained sails - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
As Kermit once said, "It's not easy being green!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Patrick...if a retailer sells you a product that is defective and causes collateral damage, you should go after them directly in small claims court when you get back to the states. THEY being a corporation will have to supply a lawyer but you may represent yourself. They can recover damages from THEIR supplier if they want to but that is not YOUR problem. Sue them! If you have any lawyer friends, you might have them write a letter first outlining the settlement you demand.
Good luck!
Old 01-17-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I think that the fault probaby lies with the supplier of the fabric. It is likely that testing the fabric would prove it to be less than colourfast. May be a case of them using a new mill offshore to economise.

To me the abrasion theory sounds like a desperate attempt to manufacture some excuse. If indeed abrasion had occurred then the fibres would easily be washed off the sails and the green would be gone.

As far as what to do...not sure. Here in Ontario we have the Consumer Protection Act which basically states that goods have to be merchantable for their marketed purpose. I would imagine that there is a similar law in Texas - probably several of them.

The retailer would be the one to claim damages from. I'd ask a lawyer in the US to send off an indication of your intent to pursue the matter immediately rather than wait until you were residing stateside again. A judge is not going to look favorably on an aged claim.

The retailer is probably aware of their liability but counting on your expatriate status to protect them. A lawyer's letter could tip them over the edge.

Good Luck !
Old 01-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I agree that the color staining the sails isn't the result of "abrading the fabric"... since, that would more likely than not be easily washed away. Most marine-grade acrylic canvas is not dyed in the sense of traditional fabrics, and the color shouldn't "bleed" since the fibers themselves are colored in the manufacturing process...not dyed after being made.

I'd agree that if you know any attorneys you know that are licensed to practice in Texas, that you should have them fire off a letter to the company that made the sail cover for collateral damages to the sails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2009

captainmidnight is on a distinguished road
Why did you buy a Macgregor?
Old 02-22-2009
Rhumbunctious

patrickstickler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Why did you buy a Macgregor?
See my comments in this other thread:

MacGregor 26 X/M Impressions

-
Cruising the Baltic in 'Merihiisi', a 1979 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Old 02-22-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
The retailer is responsible for the stains. You did not have any type of financial activity with the third parties. The manufacturer, the producer of the fabric, yarn manufacturer, dye manufacturer and others are all third parties. The retailer is the one that is responsible to you. The others might be responsible for the damage, but it is up to the retailer to ask for the damage not you. Instead of bothering with the others you should sue the the one who sold you the covers.
Old 02-22-2009
Rhumbunctious

patrickstickler is on a distinguished road
I have reached a settlement with the parties involved. They have compensated me for approx. 60% of my total losses. I do not consider the settlement completely fair, but have decided it is not in my interest to pursue the matter further.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

-
Cruising the Baltic in 'Merihiisi', a 1979 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Old 02-22-2009

SpeedAgent is on a distinguished road
Listings the companies involved here on sailnet is not publicly shaming them, it is educating other sailors regarding the business practices of some companies other frequently use and to be aware of the experience you had.

Chris

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.