SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Kiddo's life jacket

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  lbdavis 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Maybe you should start treating him nicer or one day he might take out his old man!!! (smile)

Brian

PS Glen is about to move up to his next one (Chase's), and I would give you that one too, but it is kind of drenched by the sun and looking worn. That one I gave you was still pretty new!! Make sure you give it to another family... keep passing them on! Save someone $50!

#6 ·
BoatUS also has a children's PFD loaner program.

#7 ·
SD's right. From BoatUS's website:

How the Program Works:
BoatUS Foundation accepts about 40 new sites into the Life Jacket Loaner Program during each application cycle. The group or waterfront location accepted into the program will receive 12 child-sized life jackets, as well as signs, brochures and a sign-out binder. The life jackets should be displayed in prominent location-like near a boating ramp, in a marina office, or near a fuel dock. A boating family can then check out the life jacket for a day, free of charge. At the end of the boating trip, they can return it to the same location.

If you are interested in being a life jacket loaner site or would like additional information on the program please contact the program administrator at boatingsafety@boatus.com.

#8 · (Edited)
Something to remember when sizing your child's lifejacket, a fully saturated disposable diaper weights in about 4 lbs, so always add that to the childs actual weight (a 26lb kid should be wearing the 30lb jacket).
We started with the mustang but the boy found it uncomfortable and it was hard to get him to wear it, picked up a Salus vest and he will wear it without argument.
We keep the mustang vest on the boat in case he has a friend come along or for an impromptu visit.
The salus comes home with us as we require him to wear it on the dock as well as on the boat.

#9 · (Edited)
I have the Mustang PFD that CD gave me. We don't use it anymore..so if someone wants it, I will bring it back to the US on my next trip and send it to you.

It is stained with outboard oil, but that was CD's fault, not mine..

Still a good vest..who wants it??

CD what size is it, do you know??

Here is the kid from hell with it..

Alex

#13 ·
Yea, I'd love to use that, Alex. I'll adopt a strict don't ask don't tell policy regarding any stains... :D

Will your next visit be close to Maine? The good thing about living up here (in this case) is that I won't need the PFD for a long time.... :(

#15 ·
Sweet!

But that life jacket's not going to like going as s-l-o-w as I go...

May's plenty early. I'll just be taking the tarp off. ;)

I'll PM you as we get closer.

Does this mean I can't say anything foolish about you between now and then? I don't want to end up on your "list". :D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.