Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009

SurfingSS is on a distinguished road
Marinas have length requirements for Liveaboard?!

A friend told me most marinas have a minimum requirments of 35' for a liveaboard vessel!? Santa Barbara, California does not either does West Marina down in Ventura. What is the policy for other marinas on the West Coast?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
I don't know about a minimum size, but about 4 years ago, I looked into live aboard slips in the SF bay area when my son took a job in that area. The idea was to beat the high cost of buying a house by purchasing a good size sailboat and keeping it in a slip as a live aboard. What we found was that most marinas in the area limited live aboards to about 10% of the slips and there was a 2-5 year waiting list typically. So in addition to size, you need to check availability.
Old 01-19-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Talk (politely) with the harbor master or the port authority.
We, just last weekend, were looking at a marina with the possibility of relocating in the next couple of years. They too have a no live-aboard policy, but the bottom line was, don't advertise your intentions and we won't ask questions. You MIGHT find that although there is a no live-aboard policy, the policy is not enforced. I have no idea how So Cal works, this was just my personal experience from the past weekend.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-19-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
No length requirements for liveaboard anywhere around here either BUT...some marinas have minimum length requirements for ANY boat designed to maximize slip rental income. i.e. you may OWN a 25' boat and put it in the slip but if the minimum is 35' then you will PAY the "rent" of a 35 footer. We have a 25 foot minimum here.
Old 01-19-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
Dana Point has 35' requirement and additional fees, but it works as Sailortjk has said. If you are not a problem your dockmates will be happy you are there as security, become a PITA and you will have a problem.
Old 01-19-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
I know a few in San Diego that require 35' minimum, a working head, and weekly pump outs. They also charge an extra monthly fee on top of normal per foot slip fees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 01-20-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Dana Point, Oceanside and most all of SD has a 35-36' min. LA fees are around 350.00 over & above std slip fees

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-20-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
The San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission, which is the ruling authority on liveaboards in the Bay Area has a 24' minimum. I suspect that the individual marinas may be likely to enforce their own, longer minimum length.
Old 01-20-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
You have to see some of the stuff that has showed up in this area

At one of the clubs there is and older person that lives on board over the summer and the boat has reached the it gets towed in and out of the slip ONCE a year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-20-2009

SurfingSS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
You have to see some of the stuff that has showed up in this area

At one of the clubs there is and older person that lives on board over the summer and the boat has reached the it gets towed in and out of the slip ONCE a year
I apologize, but I'm getting a little pissed about this ridicules policy. I don't think that living a board a boat causes the boat to be a POS. I know may POS boats that have not been visited for 5, even 10, years!!! And if they are attempting to regulate the quality of a boat, and it's occupants, by adopting a minimum lenght policy then they are simly asking people to park a bigger POS boat in the slip!!! Many people have crossed major oceans in boats smaller that 35'. Who's it say when they get to the other side they can live a board there boat that brought them there.