Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Great Lakes Boating

I saw this article recently and thought it was worth passing on. Take note, those of you that think boating only occurs in salt water.

US Army report: recreational boating has US$9bn economic impact on Great Lakes

By IBI Magazine

A report by the US Army Corps of Engineers released last month says that boating on the Great Lakes has an annual US$9.4bn economic impact on the Midwestern region. The John Glenn Great Lakes Recreational Boating Report noted that about 911,000 boaters visit the Great Lakes annually, and support 60,000 jobs. Using US Coast Guard registration data for 2003, the report said there were almost 4.3 million recreational boats in the eight Great Lakes states. That comprised a third of all US recreational vessels.
The report estimated that boaters spend US$2.36bn per year on boating trips as well as US$1.44bn per year on boats, accessories and supplies. An average boat owner on the Great Lakes spends about US$3,600 per year on ownership, including US$1,400 on craft-related expenses and US$2,200 on boating trips. Owners of larger boats over 41ft (12m) spend as much as US$20,000 per year.
"It is estimated that boater trip spending and craft-related spending on the Great Lakes has a direct annual economic impact of approximately US$2.8bn in sales, US$1bn in personal income, US$1.6bn in value added to the local economy, and 39,000 jobs," read the report. "With secondary effects added, the economic impact of registered recreational boaters that use the Great Lakes is approximately US$5.1bn in sales, US$1.8bn in personal income and US$2.5bn in value added, totaling US$9.4bn, and 60,000 jobs."
Despite the economic impact, John Paul Woodley, assistant secretary of the army, said that boat harbours serving recreational boaters do not support "high volumes" of commercial traffic that merit higher government funds for maintenance and dredging. "Therefore, the President's budget continues to give priority to those harbours and waterway segments that support high volumes of commercial traffic and significant commercial fishing, subsistence and public transportation benefits," wrote Woodley.
(13 January 2009)
Old 01-22-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
It used to be that Michigan had more slips per shoreline mile than any other state. Or something like that. Recently I was told we're down to #3 or so.

Here's what I find curious: Surrounded by water on 3 "sides," and looking for non-automotive-related revenue streams, businesses and jobs, why isn't the State of Michigan pushing/promoting its shoreline? You can drive up I-94, right past miles of recreational boating shoreline and facilities, and never know it. It's a mystery to me.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm. Are you expecting STATE GOVERNMENT TO HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE??? Fat chance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
It used to be that Michigan had more slips per shoreline mile than any other state. Or something like that. Recently I was told we're down to #3 or so.

Here's what I find curious: Surrounded by water on 3 "sides," and looking for non-automotive-related revenue streams, businesses and jobs, why isn't the State of Michigan pushing/promoting its shoreline? You can drive up I-94, right past miles of recreational boating shoreline and facilities, and never know it. It's a mystery to me.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-22-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post

Jim
I see dozens of billboard signs all the time promoting Michigan and Michigan boating. Visitmichigan.org I believe is the phrase. Even see it on the Tube, same slogan, which actively promotes the Michigan Shoreline and it's attraction to boating.

Maybe its because you live in the state and they are directing their sources to surrounding states like Indiana and Illinois.

I believe that Michigan still hold the record for most Lighthouses of any State.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-22-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Jim,
The State of Michigan is effectively bankrupt and has been for some time. Yet we're spending something on the order of $3 million of state monies on just the winter advertisements, TV and Radio, in out of state markets that tjl cites above.

Here's some fat for the fire. Why do the Great Lakes states subsume any commercial fishing, etc...activity to the recreational industries? Those from the other three coasts can only be surprised that one comes to Michigan and cannot get any indigenous fish in a fresh caught state. Want fresh walleye; better know a fisherman.

If the recreational boating interests wants the Army Corps to dredge and serve their interests, perhaps they should come up with funding to do so. I'm actually surprised by the amount spent on boating within the Great Lakes area, I thought it'd be more.

Hardly helping in the matter is the increasing tendency of state and local governments to restrict land use via regulation and zoning. If you're going to place more and more land, and water access, off limits to access or development, the shoreline is going to look rather abandoned from sea.
Old 01-22-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
sway- You gotta quite hanging out around Detroit! You want fresh, indiginous fish, come on over. We'll go catch them ourselves and have a nice shore lunch at the harbor. I fish everyweekend thru the summer and have no issue landing a few everytime out.
Old 01-22-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Restaurant down the street from me always has perch & pickerel on the menu and smelt in the spring. Lots of other places do also.
Nothing like a mouth watering mercury burger!

You wouldn't believe the dogfight we had in my neighborhood ovber dredging our canal. It had been ignored for several years and weeds grew in. DEQ declared it a wetland. I got to know several state congressfolks who told me of the insanity of the MiDEQ compared to all other regional DEQ's. Of course the congressperson who was fighting hard to do something about this was run off for a wetlands lover. Property owners will enjoy having her around.
Old 02-25-2009

DPHenchy is on a distinguished road
Sail question

Dear T34C

Can you inform me where you bought your sails and the specifications. I am considering buying a 1973 T34c and your sail look sharp.

Thank you
Old 02-27-2009

DPHenchy is on a distinguished road
dear T34C can you please send me tyhe inforamtion on your new sails? I am considering buying a Tartan 34 c and could use the input on new sails cost recomendations......