Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Genoa sheets knots, tip for newbies

OK, here is a cool tip for newbies and others...off course my expereince, and nothing other, many may not agree, I don't mind.(or care)

One of the first things we learn once you start operating in the bow of boats is the knots that tie the genoa sheets to the sail..so far so good

Most people, just tie a bowline or any other similar knot, and many many tie the knot as near and short as possible..see bellow

well I don't do that, and so no one I know. I normally tie the knot as long as possible, (see blue arrow bellow, I will explain why...

but the loop can't be too long, as it may prevent the sheet to get in the genoa track car sheave. The knot should be at least 3 inches before it reaches the sheave.See red arrow above

WHY??

Well one of the main reasons is that in a storm, in a hurry or any other emergency, the longer the knot is from the sail, the further in it is inside the boat, so one does not have to expose and stretch outside the boat to reach the knot in an emergency, which is good in bad weather..one never knows..

When one needs to untie the knot, and the sail is flapping around, it's hard to hold on to it...by having a long loop it dampens the flapping stoping the knot from shacking with the sail

It also helps when setting the wisker pole on a downwind, as the loop facilitates the manouver, and other more stuff...

Hope this tip from uncle Alex has helped you

have fun

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-23-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
... and a longish knot tends to slide around shrouds and stays with less hangups than a short chunky one.....
right Unk?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-23-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Fast, yes,

Another advantage is on rolled genoas, the knots make it easier to reach the sheets, when and if needed.

Here Fred, a relatively short person (still), can reach them easily, as can be seen.

As can be seen bellow in this photo, both knots are inside the boat, even with the sail outside.

And I do that with the Spinnakers also.

But with the Spinnakers, I use a thin Dyneema extension line that reduces weight suspended on the sail, and allows me to remove the sheets easily and have both allways attached, but above all reduces friction on forward rotating gybes by less than half once the sheets pass the in front on the genoa tack.

hope this helps,

thanks
Old 01-23-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Woah, woah, woah. I have a parrothead/larkshead/chucklehead/whatever "knot" in my Genny using a single sheet. Is that sheer lunacy? Am I begging for disaster? Will I sink?

Giu - the avatar. Sweet!! And you're complaining about mine? Yours is just freaky, man! Love it!
Old 01-23-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip Uncle A,

On our Thursday night races I seem to be tasked with poling out the genny and it always takes me three attempts (not so coordinated )

We always do less well on the downwind legs...

We shall try the longer bowlines next season.
Old 01-23-2009

justified is on a distinguished road
Great ideas! can't wait till the white stuff disappears and I can try those out.

SPRING IS COMMING!!!!

Justified
Old 01-23-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Just one comment about long knots on Spinnakers.. I assume this is in reference to an A sail. While few symmetrical spins are tied on, if they are then long knots are problematic when acting as a guy vis-a-vis the pole. The tack/clew should be as close to the pole as possible for stability.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-23-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Uncle Al

Uncle Al, the kiddies pal!
Old 01-23-2009

citation34 is on a distinguished road
Geez, Giu. Is winter getting to you, too? I tie my bowlines long, too. Finally, I got one right! Wish Michigan had Portugese(sp?) weather.

Mark

wish you well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Liberty' Citation 34

Last edited by citation34; 01-23-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the tip Unk. Will try it out this summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.