Realtime tracking of boats and planes on Google Maps (interesting website) - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009

Harvester is on a distinguished road
Realtime tracking of boats and planes on Google Maps (interesting website)

Hi all,

Here's an interesting website put together by a Spanish guy and a few friends of him. The man developed a software that collects the AIS information from boats and planes and displays it in a Google Map real-time.

Here's the link . When your mouse pointer is in the top left corner a little menu will pop up, in which you can choose from a down list "Barcos". Then you can see the boats whose AIS signal is being captured at that particular moment. You can actually see them moving if you zoom in on one of them (.... or also if you wait a looooong time ). You can also click on one and you will see her AIS info (name of the boat, route, speed, destination, etc.) displayed.

You can filter groups of boats (those taking place on a specific sailing race, for instance). And if you have a mobile phone with gps, you can install the guy's own developed application to sms your data and info to the system every 30 minutes, so your family can spot where you are at every moment.

The problem I envision is that it is not only your family, but everyone in the world who can actually track you. So personally, I think it will eventually be shut down for security reasons and privacy regulations. You can also select "Aviones" and see the planes location, intended route, projection of where they will be in 1 to 59 minutes from now, etc. His plane-info-receiving network of connected receivers is much more limited, though. And, honestly, I also find it pretty scary (in an orwellian way) that anyone in the world can see where you are and track your moves the minute you turn your AIS transmitter on.

But while it still lasts I though some of you may enjoy having a look at the website.

Cheers!

Last edited by Harvester; 01-24-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Some very interesting possibilities.
Old 01-24-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Just what the pirates need ...

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2009

Redskyat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Redskyat
Can't you just wait for the day when all of Google Maps is live?

"Honey, that wasn't a magazine foldout I was looking at down at the boat today...it was a wiring diagram."
Old 01-26-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Nah, I don't want it.

I can see the advantage, but the infringement outweighs the benefit. I cherish those times in life when nobody [except the Creator] knows where I am. It does not happen enough and while its nice that 'family' might be able to see where we are, I'd rather make that information known when I feel like contacting them the 'old fashion way'. Like cell phones, or computers...
Old 01-26-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I looked around my neighborhood and saw a few landmarks that have long since disappeared yet they still show up on this old google map. They must be about 5 years old but not older than June 2003 because I can see my boat in the driveway and I bought that in '03. Still the maps are old. I took out a years subscription to Google Earth a few years ago and noticed that even after paying they were still very outdated maps based on my knowledge of neighborhood landmarks that had been gone a while. If they cannot keep the maps current within a year what good are they?
Old 05-07-2009

OsmundL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
So personally, I think it will eventually be shut down for security reasons and privacy regulations.
I don't think so. In fact, such tracking sites are quite common and run by very high-profile companies and media.

Below is a link to the site run by Navcom covering much of Norway - just click on place names to the left and view an area, click on each ship and get its minute details.

The issue of piracy is real, sort of - though in those regions where it is an issue, pirates will have their own AIS and easily capture data as far as their boats will reach in practice. You don't want to be seen? Turn it off.

The issue of privacy probably is a non-issue. It is after all you who voluntarily transmit AIS data, and for good reasons. The fact that data could be misused is no more controversial than private guns - it is the same argument.

The Navcom AIS:
NavCom AIS Live
Old 05-07-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
I like this, however this has the position of some of our Navy vessels and descriptions. I'm not sure that's a great idea for anyone to get this easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 05-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow View Post
I like this, however this has the position of some of our Navy vessels and descriptions. I'm not sure that's a great idea for anyone to get this easily.
On the other hand... here is an excellent application of AIS to provide real improvement in safety at sea: On the web, the Norwegian Sea Rescue displays all its rescue craft in realtime AIS, along with a photo of the type of craft, its AIS parameters, and a line describing its current activity (Standby, on a mission, etc.). Then with its phone No. also provided, you could dial the nearest craft along the coast. Check it out at:

http://www.nssr.no/kart/index.jsp

Here is a sample map, but it is more fun live :
Attached Thumbnails
Realtime tracking of boats and planes on Google Maps (interesting website)-nsr-ais.jpg  

Last edited by OsmundL; 05-08-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2009

Forgot the photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Realtime tracking of boats and planes on Google Maps (interesting website)-nrs-ais2.jpg