Warning: Scopolamine (a motion sickness patch) Side Effect - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
BTW... I just read the PS article... they only interviewed 38 people + a couple of other "experts". There is no way you can draw any sort of statistical conclusion from surveying 38 people. I know they said they compared it to other reports, but make sure you take their report for what it is... an opinion piece. I'm sticking with Scopalamine for now... But to each their own.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
The original post is informative but the real message to be gleaned is........

READ THE DIRECTIONS!
Old 02-08-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
I had great luck with Scope last summer. My only problem is that in the working environment I was in the patches kept rubbing off. I gonna look for an oral version before my next major deployment.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-08-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Also, a product called "Kwells" worked very well for me the one time scopolamine failed.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 04-27-2011

MattyG is on a distinguished road
Scopolamine Messed Me Up Big Time...

I took it for 7 days (patch) and 24 hours after removal I had severe anxiety, no appitite, extreme fatigue; then 2 days in to this I passed out and required 7 stiches in my forehead. After a week I thought I was better but then had bouts of clautrophobia, anxiety, depression lasting from a few minutes to a several days for 18 months. I am warning you... yes if it works for you great, but be aware that for a LOT of people the side effects are SEVERE and IMHO its not worth the risk. I feel like I lost a year of my life to this stuff- it was that bad.
Old 04-27-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Interesting and thanks for sharing. You're the first person I've heard who has had side effects after removal, but I know it happens. We knew quite a few people using it while we were out cruising and it was usually either considered a miracle drug, or not (for those that had some side effects while wearing it). The only person I know of who had side effects, and that was from an accident, was the person I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

I can say that my doctor did warn us that there may be (but in most cases won't be) side effects after removal with prolonged use, but he said prolonged use was 2-3 weeks. I wonder if they overdosed you? I just looked around and it says that the experiences you had happen rarely - I'm just curious when you say "a lot of people" where you got that from.

BTW - don't take this post negatively. I have no doubt that you had issues and others have issues too. I just want to be careful with you saying this is a common occurrence vs. what I found as it being an uncommon, but real, occurrence.

It's an extremely helpful drug in many circumstances and I'd hate to scare people away from it. My family and friends who used it had side effects limited to dry mouth and some emotional amplification (kind of like a "truth serum"). No other side effects. But... your mileage may vary.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 04-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Fortunately, I stopped getting seasick when I got out of the U.S. Navy in 1960. My limited memories of Scopolamine date back to the mid 1960s when I worked in medicine. We used the drug to help induce labor in women who were in an overdue state of pregnancy, while at the same time providing them some relief from the pains of labor. It worked quite well. My daughter, who gets seasick while looking at boats from the dock, used the Scop patch on an offshore fishing trip. Shortly after putting the patch in place, she fell asleep and didn't wake up until an hour after we reached the dock. The only time she was awake was when she was reeling in fish.

Scopolamine is a very, very powerful antihistamine, and as such it has all of the ordinary side effects associated with nearly every form of antihistamine. The actual dosage supplied from the patch is very minute--just 330 micrograms. While there have been some nasty side effects associated with the patch, in reality, the percentage of individuals affected adversely is quite small. I suspect, the adverse effects of seasickness are far worse, particularly when the weather is horrendous for several days on end. Dehydration and death from seasickness is probably a much greater threat to offshore sailors than the adverse effects of any seasickness preventative drug.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 04-27-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Scopolamine withdraw side effect has been well documented since the mid 90's. It is the extension of its pharmacological effect as the body starts to down-regulate its receptors. A small percent of patients can be more sensitive than others. Every xenobiotic has side effect, scopolamine is no difference. Even it is a very old drug, it will never be sold as an OTC drug for this very reason. If you are experiencing the redraw symptom, consult your physician.

There are many remedy to control this side effect. Ask your doc to prescribe a few day supply of oral meclizine will do the trick. Reducing the dose of scopolamine over a period of time is another way.

Scopolamine patch is a wonderful drug/device, it helps many sailors during the rough seas. I certainly do not want others afraid of using it. Just like sailing, it is fun but it can kill too.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 04-27-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Fortunately, I stopped getting seasick when I got out of the U.S. Navy in 1960. My limited memories of Scopolamine date back to the mid 1960s when I worked in medicine. We used the drug to help induce labor in women who were in an overdue state of pregnancy, while at the same time providing them some relief from the pains of labor. It worked quite well. My daughter, who gets seasick while looking at boats from the dock, used the Scop patch on an offshore fishing trip. Shortly after putting the patch in place, she fell asleep and didn't wake up until an hour after we reached the dock. The only time she was awake was when she was reeling in fish.

Scopolamine is a very, very powerful antihistamine, and as such it has all of the ordinary side effects associated with nearly every form of antihistamine. The actual dosage supplied from the patch is very minute--just 330 micrograms. While there have been some nasty side effects associated with the patch, in reality, the percentage of individuals affected adversely is quite small. I suspect, the adverse effects of seasickness are far worse, particularly when the weather is horrendous for several days on end. Dehydration and death from seasickness is probably a much greater threat to offshore sailors than the adverse effects of any seasickness preventative drug.

Cheers,

Gary
I agree everything you said except if I recall correctly scopolamine is not considered in a class of antihistamine. It is an anticholinergic.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-27-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
There are reasons for the many pages of fine print that are distributed with scop. And like the dawg, I'm certain scop is NOT an antihistamine.

On dosage, no one seems to understand it. At least, neither the doctor nor pharmacist could figure that one out for me. Apparently the dose is "per person" not by body weight or any other obvious criteria. Vague mumbles about "all brains weigh about the same thing, the dose is per brain not per body" which is another reason I prefer the pill (Scopace) so you can just take the next one a little sooner, or not so soon, and adjust the dose based on how good or bad you are responding to it.

Scop can kill you. So can seasickness.

For a remedy that has no drug effects, try the Chewing Rat, aka the electronic relief band. FDA approved especially for pregnant woman, and if you've ever worn one for a couple of hours set on "high" you'll understand why it is very much like having a rat chewing at your wrist. Which, like mad scop psychosis, can be a good thing compared to the alternatives. :-)

Last edited by hellosailor; 04-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.